My first thoughts about my MINIMAX

Discuss the Creamware ASB and Klangbox hardware boxes

Moderators: valis, garyb

kylie
Rank-o-phile

Post by kylie »

Le Bone wrote:Have those sound bugs been solved in Solaris and Plugiator?
well, re-reading

http://www.planetz.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=15631

and

http://www.planetz.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=21072

might give an idea who was heavily involved in the development of the ASB boxes (note the nick change from CW Frank to inDSP Frank :) ).
as we know the relationship between SC and Frank Hund's business isn't that friendly. maybe the explanation why SC haven't fixed the bugs yet, and the plugiator might have (if that is true) lies somewhere here?!

I agree, of course, that continuous selling of those units known to have that bugs and not fixing them for whatever reason isn't exactly a good idea...

-greetings, markus-
--
I'm sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
irrelevance

Post by irrelevance »

Maybe SC should consider posting current issues on the website somewhere. Would save everyone involved a lot of time if it up there in black and white. Then at least potential customers can be left to make an informed decision.
johnbowen

Post by johnbowen »

Err, excuse me, what 'sound bugs' are you talking about in Solaris?

john b.
Le Bone

Post by Le Bone »

johnbowen wrote:
Err, excuse me, what 'sound bugs' are you talking about in Solaris?

john b.
Hi John

The comment was not aimed at any detriment to the Solaris (which I understand is a stonking machine), I was asking if the Prodyssey sound had been fixed for the Solaris.

With the Prodyssey ASB when you attempt to use sync and ring mod at the same time you get aliasing. This combination on a real Oddyssey was used alot by Ultravox to get a particular sound. You cannot get that sound with the Prodyssey so I am using the ASB as a hardware controller to a Nord G2X engine setup as a ARP Odyssey.

I am wondering if this sound issue is fixed in the Solaris and Plugiator versions of the Prodyssey/Odyssey (Soniccore have reconised there is a problem with the sound - see earlier posts on this thread). If so I may ditch the G2X engine and Prodyssey and go for a Solaris.

Regards

Tony
johnbowen

Post by johnbowen »

Le Bone wrote:... I was asking if the Prodyssey sound had been fixed for the Solaris.
Ummm, there is no claim of an emulation of the Prodyssey (or ARP Odyssey for that matter :) ) in the Solaris plug-in (or keyboard).
If you mean, "Can one have a hard sync'ed oscillator processed through a ring modulator sound" , well, then, yes, this is possible. But I don't know the exact aliasing problem you are referring to. Perhaps some other Solaris owners out there who also own ARP Odysseys (or know this particular sound he's looking for) can comment on it. Certainly the Solaris Ring Mod is a lot more flexible, with selectable carriers and modulators, but the oscillator and ring mod 'atoms' all come from the Scope dsp library, so maybe the resultant sound is similar - I really don't know (and I don't know what's inside the Prodyssey, nor how the circuit was connected.) However - if the Plugiator version was fixed, then it's probably something simple like an offset or bias, which is already one of the parameters in the Solaris Ring Mod (AM) section, so I would expect you could tweak it all you like to find the sound.

cheers,
john b.
Last edited by johnbowen on Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Le Bone

Post by Le Bone »

johnbowen wrote:
Le Bone wrote:... I was asking if the Prodyssey sound had been fixed for the Solaris.
Ummm, there is no claim of an emulation of the Prodyssey (or ARP Odysssey for that matter :) ) .
Sorry John. I did not do my research and just assumed that it contained a Prodyssey emul. I should really read up before making such comments.

Good luck with the Solaris, I am saving up my pennies as it could replace alot of my kit.
Septic

Post by Septic »

A friend I know has the Plugiator with an update that fixes note hanging and attack stage cuttoff bug of the enveloppes when using polymodus and long attacks.....I axed him that and he has not gotten one of the earlier mentioned bugs as the ASB boxes do have.

So it is possible :)