Low level input Minimax ASB

Discuss the Creamware ASB and Klangbox hardware boxes

Moderators: valis, garyb

RP_001

Low level input Minimax ASB

Post by RP_001 »

I hooked up my minimax asb this weekend, and i noticed that minimax has a much lower input signal than my other synths connected to my mixer. I use it via my balanced XLR input, and i have to gain at least 9db to compete with my other synths. I put the volume all up, and whatever preset i choose, it remains the same low level signal. I also connected my virus c to the same XLR input, but everything is normal, so it has nothing to do with XLR connection. It is not really a problem since i can always crank the volume up with the gain button in the mixer, but i was wondering if this is normal.
dawman

Post by dawman »

I use the Prodyssey and B4000 for their hot I/O's.

I was using the software versions and they sound great, but I route these to a rotary cabinet directly because of their strong signal.

I know that to emulate certain Oscillators, like JBowen's CEM for example, I have to crank those as high as possible, and drop the volume of MM Osc's to balance the presets output. Maybe CW / SC used a similar high quality Oscillator for the MiniMax that causes the loss of outputted db's.

As long as it's FAT right?

Didn;t you do that cool Maiden Voyage mp3 using the MiniMax's I/O's?

If so, it sounded great to me. :wink:
RP_001

Post by RP_001 »

Hey Jimmy,

Nope, Maiden Voyage wasnt done by me. I think i have it somewhere over here, ill check it out in a minute.

Actually there is no quality loss of the signal though. But i thought that if the minimax asb had balanced outputs, it would be equally in volume than my virus for example, but like i said, its not really a problem as i can always crank up the gain pot.

But youre right, it still sounds FAT :)

greetz
chriskorff

Post by chriskorff »

I'm fairly certain all the ASBs have unbalanced IO (which would, of course, explain everything!)

Cheers,

Chris
RP_001

Post by RP_001 »

chriskorff wrote:I'm fairly certain all the ASBs have unbalanced IO (which would, of course, explain everything!)
That surely explains a lot!

I checked the manual this afternoon, and it said in the specificiations that the IO's were " assymmetric" , thus probably meaning unbalanced.

thanks
Shayne White

Post by Shayne White »

Most synths have unbalanced I/Os AFAIK. I'm surprised the Virus has balanced outs!

Try using an unbalanced connection and see what happens.
Melodious Synth Radio
http://www.melodious-synth.com

Melodious synth music by Binary Sea
http://www.binary-sea.com