Any way round Pro-12 stuck midi notes?

Discuss the Creamware ASB and Klangbox hardware boxes

Moderators: valis, garyb

Binman_UK

Any way round Pro-12 stuck midi notes?

Post by Binman_UK »

Hi,

As quite a few others seem to have experienced previously, I'm getting stuck midi notes on my Pro-12.

I'm using the latest firmware with a normal midi cable on channel 16 and a midi loop playing from Cubase SX3. There are no overlapping notes. I've tried messing with the Cubase midi filtering options but it doesn't make any difference at all.

I normally work round issues like this, but I've made a pretty decent loop and patch and I wan't to get it working properly :).
Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance.
Binny.
Septic

Post by Septic »

I have the same probs, only a fix would help...

when you do get a stuck note hold down the [mono]+[poly]buttons simultaneously (next to display) 2 times to return to your previous voicemode and midi-reset of the holded notes.

It's a damn shame that it isnt fixed yet!!!

I already sold my prodyssey because of the non fixed bugs.
But the Pro12 sounds so nice, it cannot let it go.

Also the randomly cutoff of the attack stage makes it almost unsuble for those longer attack-phase seq notes in Logic because there will be a cutoff of the attack stage of the enveloppes once in a while.

So sorry no work-around yt I think. It doesnt matter what you filter in your midistream.

Take care.
Binman_UK

Post by Binman_UK »

Septic wrote:I have the same probs, only a fix would help...
Hmm. I'm determined to get this working. The weird thing is, I haven't changed anything in the project or anything major with my setup and it was working fine about 4/5 weeks ago.

I think I'll have a go at re-creating the midi loop by drawing the notes in manually and re-organise the midi chain to see if I can get the problem to stop. Will report back, although I'm not getting my hopes up.

Binny.
pricklyrobot

Post by pricklyrobot »

I've had these problems with my Minimax. It seems like maybe the polyphony was implemented in some kind of half-assed way. I'm a bit surprised that Sonic-core didn't fix these bugs before they started cranking out new ASB's. Then again, I've e-mailed Creamware/Sonic-core about this issue 5 or 6 times and I've never once gotten a reply, so it seems customer satisfaction/quality control is not their top priority.

Maybe all of us who have this problem should start e-mailing Sonic-core once a week until they respond. Perhaps we can annoy them into fixing it.
Septic

Post by Septic »

pricklyrobot wrote:I've had these problems with my Minimax. It seems like maybe the polyphony was implemented in some kind of half-assed way. I'm a bit surprised that Sonic-core didn't fix these bugs before they started cranking out new ASB's. Then again, I've e-mailed Creamware/Sonic-core about this issue 5 or 6 times and I've never once gotten a reply, so it seems customer satisfaction/quality control is not their top priority.

Maybe all of us who have this problem should start e-mailing Sonic-core once a week until they respond. Perhaps we can annoy them into fixing it.
I thought the same when seeing the new SonicCore ASBs...Bad news..

I also never got any response from either former CW and SonicCore on this issue...Not a good start imo, when you release a productline with known bugs as a fresh company. I guess that the Plugiator will kick the ASBs out of the shelves anyhow...360 euro for all those ASB synts +++++Vocodizer!!! (my fav SW vocoder of all times)

asking 799 for a buggy minimax ASB for instance is too steep while 360 for all the synths (+ some more for more 4 synths in the plugiator)is reasonable, even with bugs. (Here in Holland you can pick up 2nd hand Minimax ASBs for 300-350 and Pro12s for 400-450)

Dont misunderstand I love the handson devices ASB, but the poly/voice steal bug is a big bummer.
Binman_UK

Post by Binman_UK »

pricklyrobot wrote:Maybe all of us who have this problem should start e-mailing Sonic-core once a week until they respond. Perhaps we can annoy them into fixing it.
Agreed. Have just emailed them.

Binny.
Binman_UK

Post by Binman_UK »

Septic wrote:Also the randomly cutoff of the attack stage makes it almost unsuble for those longer attack-phase seq notes in Logic because there will be a cutoff of the attack stage of the enveloppes once in a while.
I've had this problem with Cubase SX3 too. These bugs are starting to annoy me more and more.

Binny.
kjellg

Post by kjellg »

Hi!

As a new Creamware ASB user, still waiting for my Minimax ASB to arrive the coming week, I am wonder(and worry) about all this bug things-are they(can they be?) on all the products from this company?
Or is it only regarding some of the products?
If I,m pleased with the mmax,my plan was to buy more of this boxes,The pro 12 or the Prodyssey(but not if I find annoying bugs with the minimax)

Kjell
pricklyrobot

Post by pricklyrobot »

Binman_UK wrote:
pricklyrobot wrote:Maybe all of us who have this problem should start e-mailing Sonic-core once a week until they respond. Perhaps we can annoy them into fixing it.
Agreed. Have just emailed them.

Binny.
I e-mailed them last week and I've written them again just now (I reckon I'll do it every Monday morning).

I also politely explained that I intend to keep writing (and encouraging others to do the same) until I get a response, not because I want to be a pest but because I think the ASB's have potential to be really amazing instruments if a few significantly annoying bugs are fixed.
Le Bone

Post by Le Bone »

kjellg wrote:Hi!

I,m pleased with the mmax,my plan was to buy more of this boxes,The pro 12 or the Prodyssey(but not if I find annoying bugs with the minimax)

Kjell
be carefull if you are considering buying more ASB's. I emailed Soniccore in regards to the various Prodyssey bugs and was told by Ralf that he would let me know what the dev team said. He never replied even though I followed up with an email asking what they had said. They really do not want to know! The Prodyssey makes great hardware controller for the Nord G2 engine if you want the Arp Odyssey sound with a realistic controller.
Le Bone

Post by Le Bone »

pricklyrobot wrote:I think the ASB's have potential to be really amazing instruments if a few significantly annoying bugs are fixed.
I totally agree, however they do not care! Which is a real shame.
chriskorff

Post by chriskorff »

I can see why this might be a bit disconcerting...

However, and to give them the benefit of the (very real!) doubt, their recent actions suggest that they really do care about their customers, and I'd find it difficult to believe that they just don't give a flying one about their users (just look at how closely their newest products, the X-ite 1 and A16 XLR, relate to things that were directly discussed here, for instance).

Also, their track record does seem to suggest that if they haven't got anything good to say, they won't say anything — until they DO have something good to say, in which case they'll do their best to let people here know (eg their announcement of the X-ite 1, on this forum).

I don't know any more than anyone here does, but I'd be very surprised if they hadn't even considered addressing the problems being discussed here.

JMHO

Chris
Le Bone

Post by Le Bone »

We have waited along time. The PRO12 has been out for years and the Prodyssey has also been out a while now.

I really cannot see it happening and am really VERY annoyed my emails are ignored and I don't even get a reply to say sorry no go away! :x Not exactly good manners IMHO. I am well aware I am not the only one teated like this. :cry:

I am now looking out of my window for that squadron of flying pigs doing loop the loop in a V formation. As I am more likely to se that happen. :roll:

Yes they support the scope users with new software (as do many third parties with new software for Scope). Yes they are supporting their new hardware. Because hey want the new money!

But they have had our money on the ASB's. Alot of people bought the ASB's both because of quality and the ability for fixes to be loaded in via software updates. Admittingly a few things were fixed in the early days, but....
:evil:
pricklyrobot

Post by pricklyrobot »

I'd think Sonic-core would be more motivated than ever to fix ASB bugs, now that you can get a second-hand Moog LP for the same price as a Minimax (granted the LP is mono but it's also real analog, and the polyphony frequently doesn't work right on the Minimax anyhow), and there's the new Prophet '08 desktop which is $1500 right now but in a few months when used ones start turning up on Ebay it probably won't be much more than a Pro-12.

The ASB's are becoming less unique by the day.

Granted ARP hasn't resurrected itself yet, but at this point a vintage Odyssey doesn't seem like a significantly less wise use of $1000 bucks than a brand-new Prodyssey.
kjellg

Post by kjellg »

[quote="pricklyrobot"]I'd think Sonic-core would be more motivated than ever to fix ASB bugs, now that you can get a second-hand Moog LP for the same price as a Minimax (granted the LP is mono but it's also real analog, and the polyphony frequently doesn't work right on the Minimax anyhow), and there's the new Prophet '08 desktop which is $1500 right now but in a few months when used ones start turning up on Ebay it probably won't be much more than a Pro-12.

The ASB's are becoming less unique by the day.

I,m still waiting for my Minimaks ASB to arrive,but all this talk about the bugs make me a little depressed because I heard only good thing about the Creamware ASB products in most of the reviews I was reading. Based on this tests and a lot of sound demos,I decide to go for a Minimax.

It was when I enter this forum I start to worried a bit when I get the impression that these problems/bugs is not fixed.

What are the bugs? I heard about the stepping,glide, polyphone problems-Is it more? Can they be fixed at all and if not are they to live with?

Kjell
pricklyrobot

Post by pricklyrobot »

kjellg wrote:What are the bugs? I heard about the stepping,glide, polyphone problems-Is it more? Can they be fixed at all and if not are they to live with?
Kjell
Here's the thread I started a few months ago about the problems I've had (which are MIDI/polyphony related): http://www.planetz.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23298
The stepping and glide issues were, as far as I can tell, fixed with the first firmware update which came out in 2006. But there have been updates since then, and none appear to be forthcoming.

Whether or not you can live with these issues probably depends on how you intend to use your Minimax, your MIDI set-up, et cetera. I think it's best to view the Minimax as a great sounding monosynth with limited, glitchy polyphony thrown in as a bonus. If that sounds okay to you, you probably won't be disappointed.

And who knows, maybe Sonic-core will surprise everyone and actually release another firmware update someday. I don't advise holding your breath on that one though.
kjellg

Post by kjellg »

"Whether or not you can live with these issues probably depends on how you intend to use your Minimax, your MIDI set-up, et cetera. I think it's best to view the Minimax as a great sounding monosynth with limited, glitchy polyphony thrown in as a bonus. If that sounds okay to you, you probably won't be disappointed."

Thanks pricklyrobot.

I think I can live with that! The great sound and some polyphony option is what I was looking for.
Lets hope for the Sonic Core firmware update suprise-if they do I think they are sitting on a gouldmine!
Henrik

got a reply

Post by Henrik »

I actually got a response when I emailed them.

They have done a fix for the prodyssey but apparently they will only sell it for the plugiator. I think the plugiator is interesting but I won't buy any more since I already bought 2 Prodysseys (Noah and ASB) with bugs and paid 2 times for my Noah Pro12 which is still having bugs too.

It is a fun and great sounding toy but can't rely on creamware/soniccore/indsp "technology" for live use when they don't fix their bugs. Nothing worse than having stuck notes in a live situaltion. And the sound-bugs of the Prodyssey makes it less interesting as a Odyssey emulator (since it does NOT emulate it well) but not too bad as what it does :-)

So until they take some responsibility ... no more business with me ...
Septic

Re: got a reply

Post by Septic »

But ASB=Soniccore and Plugiator=UseAudio.

If they will fix third party OS/SW but not the CW/Soniccore ASBs, than they better file for surseance right away then, in my eyes the company has not a right to succeed with this behaviour. But I dont think that you are good informed. Because it will be the deathblow for soniccore I think...I will never ever buy a Soniccore product before the ASBs are fixed anayways..

Henrik wrote:I actually got a response when I emailed them.

They have done a fix for the prodyssey but apparently they will only sell it for the plugiator. I think the plugiator is interesting but I won't buy any more since I already bought 2 Prodysseys (Noah and ASB) with bugs and paid 2 times for my Noah Pro12 which is still having bugs too.

It is a fun and great sounding toy but can't rely on creamware/soniccore/indsp "technology" for live use when they don't fix their bugs. Nothing worse than having stuck notes in a live situaltion. And the sound-bugs of the Prodyssey makes it less interesting as a Odyssey emulator (since it does NOT emulate it well) but not too bad as what it does :-)

So until they take some responsibility ... no more business with me ...
Le Bone

Re: got a reply

Post by Le Bone »

Septic wrote:But ASB=Soniccore and Plugiator=UseAudio.

If they will fix third party OS/SW but not the CW/Soniccore ASBs, than they better file for surseance right away then, in my eyes the company has not a right to succeed with this behaviour. I will never ever buy a Soniccore product before the ASBs are fixed anayways..
I am totally with you on that one! Immoral behaviour. I find it hard to swallow that they have "fixed" bugs but not applied to all models/platforms!

I for one would even pay for my ASB's to be fixed! If they worked as they they should, they would be truley awesome and still blast everything out of the water. I would have no need for my Nord G2 engine which I mainly use for the Odyssey sound but hardware controlled from the Prodyssey ASB.

All Ass about face!