I just order a Minimax

Discuss the Creamware ASB and Klangbox hardware boxes

Moderators: valis, garyb

kjellg

I just order a Minimax

Post by kjellg »

Hi!

I am a new member and have just order a Minimax. I have never tried one for real so my investment is based on tests and sound demos.

The reviews I have been reading looks very promising and I ekspect to be pleased with it.

I have read about some bugs-does anyone know if it have been fixed?

kjell
maky325

Post by maky325 »

Good purchase. Soon you will experience new world of sound unheard in any kind of VSTi to this date ;)
Dont bother about bugs. There is really a small chance that you will experience some of them. I am using Minimax for months and only thing which is questionable is DSP usage, ie sometimes you will be forced to reload minimax again to have it working no matter what amount of DSP you have. Hopefully this will change with Scope version 5.

i can only recommend you to go in "Preset" area of this forum and search for some minimax presets. There are some really good presets.

Enjoy your purchase 8)
kjellg

Post by kjellg »

Thanks mpodrug.

Its inspiring to hear from other pleased minimax owners(also unpleased, if there are some?)
I must confess I dont know what DSP means?

I also have the minimoog voyager,and I bought the minimax for several reasons. The fact it is polyphonic and its more portable than the voyager was some of the reasons. I,m also looking foreward to compare the monophonic sound difference between them.

If this creamware machine is as good as the tests say it is,I,m suprised people are prepared to pay 3-4000 us for a vintage model D if you can have the minimax for 1000 us. The difference in sound doesnt match the difference in price imo.

I like to hear more opinions from you all.

Kjell
alfonso

Post by alfonso »

I think there is a "qui pro quo"......the dsp problems are related to the Minimax plugin for the Scope platform, if you have too little dsp power available in your audio card....this has nothing to do with the Minimax ASB, which has its own dsp processors inside the box and offers great polyphony. I don't have it though, so I don't know about the eventual bugs. I know that owners are very happy usually, as the sound is amazingly good.
kjellg

Post by kjellg »

Thanks Alfonso!

My plan is to use the mmax without pc,only the old tradisjonal vintage way.
This would not give this DSP problem if I understand it right?

Kjell
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

Sounds like mpodrug is describing the Scope Minimax, not Minimax ASB as he mentions reloading the DSPs and Scope 5 - neither of which are applicable to the ASB.

Make sure you download the latest version of software from ftp://sonic-core.net/software//ASB-Boxes/MINIMAX

You may have to email Ralf on rb(at)soniccore.com (replace with @) for a new key to install it.
kjellg

Post by kjellg »

Yes its the ABS Minimax I ordered. Sorry for not mention it in the first place.

So I have to download the latest software version to get rid of the bugs?
They didnt fix it in the resent minimax wich I ordered?

Thanks Mr.Arkadin.

Kjell
kjellg

Post by kjellg »

"Make sure you download the latest version of software from ftp://sonic-core.net/software//ASB-Boxes/MINIMAX"

I was expecting a new ASB-Boxes/MiniMax to already have installed the latest software from the factory- Is this not the case?

I have nothing against downloading,only I was under the impression that
its some problems with downloading this software to machintosh?

kjell

Btw the minimax will arrive over the weekend :wink:
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

Well, not sure which stock you'll get. If the box says Sonic Core then hopefully you'll have the latest software. If the box says Creamware then it's older stock (but still technically new if it wasn't sold to anyone. Depends on what stock the shop gives you.
maky325

Post by maky325 »

Mr Arkadin wrote:Sounds like mpodrug is describing the Scope Minimax, not Minimax ASB as he mentions reloading the DSPs and Scope 5 - neither of which are applicable to the ASB.

Make sure you download the latest version of software from ftp://sonic-core.net/software//ASB-Boxes/MINIMAX

You may have to email Ralf on rb(at)soniccore.com (replace with @) for a new key to install it.
Yep! Stupid me. Sorry guys, but anyway everything what i said regarding sound is true ;)
gregae

Post by gregae »

Mr Arkadin wrote: Make sure you download the latest version of software from ftp://sonic-core.net/software//ASB-Boxes/MINIMAX
Good advice, but Minimax users should be aware that the file posted at SonicCore's FTP site is version 2.2, which was released by Creamware in September, 2006.

It looks like all SonicCore did was re-post an old file.

I was hoping for an update. :-(
gregae

Post by gregae »

kjellg wrote: I also have the minimoog voyager,and I bought the minimax for several reasons. The fact it is polyphonic and its more portable than the voyager was some of the reasons. I,m also looking foreward to compare the monophonic sound difference between them.

Kjell
Klell -

A few months ago, a buddy and I did a comparison test of the Voyager, Minimax and a Model D Minimoog. The results were compiled and posted on the MoogSpace site. You can find the write-up and MP3 sound files here:

https://www.moogmusic.com/members/?sect ... &cat_id=49

We called our effort 'Vintage, Voyager or Virtual'. In our tests the Minimax faired extremely well going toe-to-toe with the other two instruments. Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to use the Minimax as a replacement for a Minimoog or Voyager, either on stage or in the studio. You made a good choice!
kjellg

Post by kjellg »

Thanks gregae

What you say is very nice to hear. The test you and your buddy did is something I could not see anyone have done before. Perhaps someone did it private but didnt share the results in a public way like you did.

When comparing the prices vs the sound of a minimax and the two moogs
its almost unbelivable+ you got the polyphony too!

The minimax deserves to be a great selling product if it is as good as almost everybody tells.
When I recive it next week I will come back to share my experience with you all.

Kjell

Klell -

A few months ago, a buddy and I did a comparison test of the Voyager, Minimax and a Model D Minimoog. The results were compiled and posted on the MoogSpace site. You can find the write-up and MP3 sound files here:

https://www.moogmusic.com/members/?sect ... &cat_id=49

We called our effort 'Vintage, Voyager or Virtual'. In our tests the Minimax faired extremely well going toe-to-toe with the other two instruments. Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to use the Minimax as a replacement for a Minimoog or Voyager, either on stage or in the studio. You made a good choice![/quote]
kjellg

Post by kjellg »

I,m still waiting for my Minimax and was told it should have arrived this pasting week,but the last news from the store tells me it was some misunderstanding and now it will come right over the weekend.
I understand it will be sendt from Denmark to Norway where I live.

Btw anyone from norway in this forum using the ASB?

Kjell
kjellg

Post by kjellg »

Hi!

Finaly I got my Minimax yesterday! First impression blew my away. It is as close you can get....I also had a quick comparence to my Voyager and the main difference in sound is the Voyager have something warmer and magic moog kind of thing(hard to explain)
The Minimax on the other hand have something of the raw model d sounding thing I sometime miss on the Voyager.

The polyphony is also stunning-even I could not hear more then 6 voices.
Shouldnt it be 12?

It says sonic core on the front wood so I guess this is from the new company. Still with the serialnumber it says v1.0.
I mail Ralph and got the authorisation code for version 2.0.

I tried to get the latest version and filled in the code,but it asked for a firmware scource. Whats that and where can I find it?

I have a mac power Book G4 OSx-is that a problem?

Btw I plan to make a Minimax demo for youtube. I could just find one and I think he is a member on this forum. He had make a very nice wooden cabinet for his minimax.

Kjell
kjellg

Post by kjellg »

No suggestions?

Sorry my english is not very good. I try again and the question is: Can someone tell my how I can get the latest version for my minimax?

I have version 1.0,I got the code from Ralph,I connect the minimax via USB to my my pc,I have installed it on my computer and fill in the code. From here the program ask to fill in Firmware Scouce File and I dont know what to write here-thats the problem.
I have OSx-10.3.9

Please!
next to nothing

Post by next to nothing »

kjellg

Post by kjellg »

I brought the minimax to my work and got one of the computer expert to update it on windows. It went out nice I think. The message was-instalation was sucsessfull-so I guess it should be ok.

However when I was back home and could test it(couldnt do that on my work) it seems to still have 6 note polyphony,but the strange thing is that sometime it gives 8 voices??
Was the upload not right after all?
Is there other sign I could look for to check if this is a new version and to be shure I,m not with the version 1.0 still?

Otherwise its a great great synth!

Kjell