Updating Pro12 with Authorization code

Discuss the Creamware ASB and Klangbox hardware boxes

Moderators: valis, garyb

Arcvidean

Updating Pro12 with Authorization code

Post by Arcvidean »

I have a Pro12 on order waiting for delivery,being new to Creamware products I've just realised I will have to have an Authorization code to update the Operating system.Can anyone tell me how this works? And do I have just one Authorization code for every update? Also what would happen in the future if Creamware were no longer in business and I need to reinstall the OS for some reason?
Thanks if you can help,
Arcvidean.
slammah2012

Re: Updating Pro12 with Authorization code

Post by slammah2012 »

Arcvidean wrote:I have a Pro12 on order waiting for delivery,being new to Creamware products I've just realised I will have to have an Authorization code to update the Operating system.Can anyone tell me how this works? And do I have just one Authorization code for every update? Also what would happen in the future if Creamware were no longer in business and I need to reinstall the OS for some reason?
Thanks if you can help,
Arcvidean.
SonicCore is the old Creamware
Time has No Master.
*NOW* is the Password.
Just *ASK* and *INVITE* every-
thing you are after..........
Arcvidean

Post by Arcvidean »

Let me rephrase that, what would happen if Soniccore was no longer in business in the future? Does no one know how this system works,I've never encountered this in hardware before and it's making me uneasy about this purchase.
Arcvidean.
astroman

Post by astroman »

hey, it's no big deal at all :D
everyone (with a Scope systems) suffers from the same wiered phantasy that SonicCore may go out of business and simply 'forget' to tell how the protection scheme works... :P
what I wanted to say... is that you have a kind of ultra-mini-SFP system in your hardware synth and this requires the authorisation code, but only once.

I wouldn't say the system is unbreakable, but it's pretty sophisticated - at least among the best I've seen. ;)

you may ask yourself ...what the heck are they trying to copy-protect a hardware instrument for ???
well, the point is that the 'hardware' is a pretty standard piece of gear - it's almost no effort copy the code from the DSPs onto some other device and voila, you have a Minimoog or Prophet clone
of course you would never do that personally, but there are companies who wouldn't let such an 'invitation' pass... :wink:

honestly - it's not a problem at all

cheers, Tom
Arcvidean

Post by Arcvidean »

Hmmm, thanks,but it still seems a little odd to me. Makes me nervous somehow.
Arcvidean.
astroman

Post by astroman »

oops, I may have messed a few bits up...
I actually don't really know about the code inside your Prophet, I just assumed that it's protected...

the 'remote software' for which you need the key is that afforementioned 'mini-scope-fusion-system' and that thing simply needs the key - it cannot run without as it's explicitely written this way.

But that's only the 'remote control software' - once installed and given the keyfile (assuming it's similiar to SFP) it will never ask again.
I also have such a file and whenever I update or install Scope I just provide it... usually from an USB stick, but I have several copies of all my key codes (for other software, too) on different systems, on a CD-Rom and tadaaa ... a printed copy :D
at least this software does not build up an internet connection to an obscure host to play the challenge-response game once you got the idea to change your hardisk, or your videocard, or whatever...

if a synth breaks and the manufacturer is out of business...
well, things like that happen... what if your device needs certain Curtis or SSM chips which are out of production for a long time ?
nothing is without any risk in the end, but imho you picture the situation much darker than it actually is.

cheers, Tom
slammah2012

Post by slammah2012 »

Arcvidean wrote:Hmmm, thanks,but it still seems a little odd to me. Makes me nervous somehow.
Arcvidean.
Actually it makes alot of sense....
I have a different ASB module that is beta testing new code.....I made an inquiry to Sonnicore for a Request on my unit,(to operate a certain way) and I report back if it is sucessfull or buggy......So far it works wonderfully.......

This code was authorised to work on my unit only......If I shared it to other members on the lists and then flaws happened, it would look bad at their end....Virtually there is no way I can share my firmware with different units...
And, If they are able to keep writing firmware updates ....they are obviously still in business to write the protection codes for your unit.......
Time has No Master.
*NOW* is the Password.
Arcvidean

Post by Arcvidean »

Thanks for the replies, to clarify, if I install an OS into the Pro12 with an Authorization code I would use the same code in the future to reinstall that OS, if this is the case I do not feel concern for the future, if I keep needing a new Authorization code every time I want to reinstall that same OS I am concerned.I wanted to know this as my move to hardware is based on my growing unease at the use of intrusive copy protection in software instruments that doesn't always work as it should, and a lack of longevity in some software(think steinberg for instance) that has made software seem somewhat disposable. So I was disappointed when I come across copy protection in the hardware unit I've just ordered.
Arcvidean.
astroman

Post by astroman »

yes, you just need it one time for the installation of the remote control software (which will probably ask you for a 'keyfile' in that situation)

good point, Slammah - I hope it's the missing input of the Hammond emulation they work on... ;)

cheers, Tom
Le Bone

Post by Le Bone »

Or even the sync and ring mod fixes needed for Prodyssey to sound right without aliasing!
Arcvidean

Post by Arcvidean »

Thanks, so it's just the Remote control software that is copy protected? Sorry for being slow if that's the case.and indeed I can see it's not a problem.
Arcvidean.
Le Bone

Re: Updating Pro12 with Authorization code

Post by Le Bone »

Arcvidean wrote:I have a Pro12 on order waiting for delivery,.
The update for the PRO12 is great and fixes a number of bugs. This machine sounds superb.

Only problem with the update is that the patches are then incorrect. For instance the glide fix makes those patches that have glide take far too long. A bit of minor tweaking and marvellous. Alo make sure you backup your patches if you have down any tweaks so you can reload after the OS update.
slammah2012

Post by slammah2012 »

astroman wrote:yes, you just need it one time for the installation of the remote control software (which will probably ask you for a 'keyfile' in that situation)

good point, Slammah - I hope it's the missing input of the Hammond emulation they work on... ;)

cheers, Tom
Yes it is......It even goes far enough to apply the vibrato/chorus of the lower manual to the input along with the drive, crunch and leslie circuitry...

Time has No Master.
*NOW* is the Password.
pricklyrobot

Post by pricklyrobot »

Is anyone working on a firmware update that would improve the MIDI spec of the ASB's?

I like my Minimax, but it gets stuck notes more easily than any other piece of gear I've ever used, despite running all my stuff through a MIDI patchbay with filtering capabilities. Essentially this prevents me from using the the Minimax polyphonically in a lot of scenarios.

If there's a chance of this being addressed in the future I'll happily hang on to my Minimax (and maybe pick up a Prodyssey when I have the money), but if not I'll probably sell it and move on to something less touchy.
Arcvidean

Post by Arcvidean »

Just received my Pro12, seems it has a European plug with a UK adaptor, not sure I'm happy about this,,does anyone have any comments about whether this is a potential problem before I unpack the unit and try it out?
hanks,
Arcvidean
Le Bone

Post by Le Bone »

It is a pain but certainly surmountable. I ended up buying a German 4 way trailer, stuck a UK plug on the end and am very happy with my PRO12 and Prodyssey running from there. I did not want to use adapters (plus I bought from Germany to save alot of money so never had the official convertors).

The PRO12 is great and you should not cut off noses to spite... It is well worth the effort.