Plugiator

Discuss the Creamware ASB and Klangbox hardware boxes

Moderators: valis, garyb

borg

Post by borg »

Henrik,

Creamware doesn't exist anymore. The company went bankrupt...
Some CW people started a new company: Sonic Core. One (Frank Hund) started InDSP. They both acquired the rights to use the Scope Platform.
InDSP now have the Plugiator as a standalone unit. Sonic Core chose to continue the SFP approach and will release version 5 and a new hardware unit, replacing the line of PCI cards.

Noah and ASB are, to my knowledge, not included in both new companies' range of products. I expect to see no further support from them, how sad or discouraging it may seem to owners of these units... They will of course put all resources on the new devices, which is only logical.
andy
the lunatics are in the hall
alfonso

Post by alfonso »

slammah2012

Post by slammah2012 »

borg wrote:Henrik,

Creamware doesn't exist anymore. The company went bankrupt...
Some CW people started a new company: Sonic Core. One (Frank Hund) started InDSP. They both acquired the rights to use the Scope Platform.
InDSP now have the Plugiator as a standalone unit. Sonic Core chose to continue the SFP approach and will release version 5 and a new hardware unit, replacing the line of PCI cards.

Noah and ASB are, to my knowledge, not included in both new companies' range of products. WRONG I expect to see no further support from themwrong, how sad or discouraging it may seem to owners of these units... They will of course put all resources on the new devices, which is only logical.
Time has No Master.
*NOW* is the Password.
Just *ASK* and *INVITE* every-
thing you are after..........
borg

Post by borg »

Ok, then I stand corrected... Anyway, neither product are in InDSP's range, and as it is a Plugiator thread...
andy
the lunatics are in the hall
pricklyrobot

Post by pricklyrobot »

slammah2012 wrote: Noah and ASB are, to my knowledge, not included in both new companies' range of products. WRONG I expect to see no further support from themwrong, how sad or discouraging it may seem to owners of these units... They will of course put all resources on the new devices, which is only logical.
Well, they do appear to be manufacturing ASB's again, but I'm not sure how you define support. I'm not aware of any updates to the ASB's firmware since 2006 despite numerous remaining problems (well documented on this forum), and there isn't any information on the Soniccore website indicating that ASB OS updates are forthcoming. Furthermore, I've e-mailed Soniccore ( support [at] soniccore . de ) multiple times over the past year regarding ASB issues, and I have never received a response.

I'd like to believe that Soniccore will turn their attention to fixing the significant existing bugs in the ASB's now that they're back in production (and indeed I find it a bit odd that they wouldn't have done these fixes before resuming ASB production), but in the absence of any information to this effect from Soniccore it's pure hopeful speculation on my part.
slammah2012

Post by slammah2012 »

pricklyrobot wrote:
slammah2012 wrote: Noah and ASB are, to my knowledge, not included in both new companies' range of products. WRONG I expect to see no further support from themwrong, how sad or discouraging it may seem to owners of these units... They will of course put all resources on the new devices, which is only logical.
Well, they do appear to be manufacturing ASB's again, but I'm not sure how you define support. I'm not aware of any updates to the ASB's firmware since 2006 despite numerous remaining problems (well documented on this forum), and there isn't any information on the Soniccore website indicating that ASB OS updates are forthcoming. Furthermore, I've e-mailed Soniccore ( support [at] soniccore . de ) multiple times over the past year regarding ASB issues, and I have never received a response.

I'd like to believe that Soniccore will turn their attention to fixing the significant existing bugs in the ASB's now that they're back in production (and indeed I find it a bit odd that they wouldn't have done these fixes before resuming ASB production), but in the absence of any information to this effect from Soniccore it's pure hopeful speculation on my part.
I have recieved a firmware update to beta test some of the ASB glitch corrections you read on these threads...My last Conversation with SC was around January of 2008....The Beta is working Flawlessly...
Time has No Master.
*NOW* is the Password.
bill3107

Post by bill3107 »

this is atgreat information !!!! thanks ...
Le Bone

Post by Le Bone »

I have recieved a firmware update to beta test some of the ASB glitch corrections you read on these threads...My last Conversation with SC was around January of 2008....The Beta is working Flawlessly...
That sounds like fixes for the leslie of the Organ emulation. But what about fixes for the Prodyssey emulation? This is still way off from sounding right!
slammah2012

Post by slammah2012 »

Le Bone wrote:
That sounds like fixes for the leslie of the Organ emulation. But what about fixes for the Prodyssey emulation? This is still way off from sounding right!
I agree with you...the Rmod / sync is quite noisey when you bring up that third fader
Time has No Master.
*NOW* is the Password.
Henrik

Post by Henrik »

I would be satisfied with a working beta fix to the Prodyssey ASB ;-)
I would be happy to get the fix also to Noah Prodyssey and UI fix to Noah Pro12 which can't be edited in live situations without a PC. I payed for those expansions and would expect at least bugs to be corrected.

Noah was on the inDSP support pages in the beginning. I fully understand that they don't want to produce any more since it seems technology has caught up with it (i.e. plugiator (more DSP power in fewer cheaper chips) etc)

Prodyssey without a fix for Ringmod/Sync (which I think is what really adds a lot of the value to Odyssey together with LFO's) is nowhere near a real emulation of the Odyssey. Which they claim it to be.

Unfortunately the Creamware/inDSP/Soniccore technology does not invite for creative user-modifications since the sw is encrypted. Else I would have done several modifications myself. (being an embedded DSP programmer for 12 years) Not just to the sound but also the MIDI implementation and stuff like importing native Prophet 5 sysex etc...

These platforms had so much potential.
keyboardman9999

Re: Plugiator

Post by keyboardman9999 »

I have a Plugiator and it works well. The only problem is with the following message.
Does anyone have any ideas?
The error message is as follows:
PIL extraction failed: Please ensure that the read write permissions has been enabled in Plugiator app folder.
This messages occurs when I try and install plug-ins (registered).
Septic

Re:

Post by Septic »

Henrik wrote:I would be satisfied with a working beta fix to the Prodyssey ASB ;-)
I would be happy to get the fix also to Noah Prodyssey and UI fix to Noah Pro12 which can't be edited in live situations without a PC. I payed for those expansions and would expect at least bugs to be corrected.

Noah was on the inDSP support pages in the beginning. I fully understand that they don't want to produce any more since it seems technology has caught up with it (i.e. plugiator (more DSP power in fewer cheaper chips) etc)

Prodyssey without a fix for Ringmod/Sync (which I think is what really adds a lot of the value to Odyssey together with LFO's) is nowhere near a real emulation of the Odyssey. Which they claim it to be.

Unfortunately the Creamware/inDSP/Soniccore technology does not invite for creative user-modifications since the sw is encrypted. Else I would have done several modifications myself. (being an embedded DSP programmer for 12 years) Not just to the sound but also the MIDI implementation and stuff like importing native Prophet 5 sysex etc...

These platforms had so much potential.
Youre so right! Its a complete missed opertunity now filled by, for instance, Dave Smith and his little REAL anlogue boxes for less than a minimax asb! And I never heard of a encryption of a OS and keys andso forth for a HW synth to update...Its just a port from scope, nothing more nothing less imo...

And remember, non Scope users will not understand this procedure, I had a scope background so I was used to the SW/HW keys. But for ppl who bought it and wanted to flash it and then saw you must have keys (not sold with the acutal synth, nononono, you have to mail for em zzzz), not good for your future sales.

AND when updating on OSX, you get a corrupt firmware, only doable on Windows XP..I found out the hard way. Luckily I got a PC in the next room otherwise it was dead. Isnt is sold as MAC compatible??? hell even a OSX editor was with them. But when updating, you're fnurked.

This seems maybe like some sort of rant, but I am really disappointed by the missed oppurtunities they had with the ASB line, I was a big big fan...It could have been the killer synth for lot of retro sound loving muscians who hate menus on synths.

Its nice to have 12 voices but when in real situations it isnt 12voiced (more random 2-12 and everything in between. depending on your env settings, specially attack), youre better of with a real monophonic analogue :P

I used all my ASB monophonic most of the times...zzzz
Sold all my ASBs now (all three synth models) had them since day 1 of release, but after 4 years I gave up.
I do miss them sometimes coz the sound is nothing wrong with, bummer...

If I would buy a clone again, it will be a Useaudio one, I read and saw diffrent bugfixes for their plugs ( no voicestealing bugs on theirs!) And they even are making (VST is there already) AudioUnit plugins of the synths, so that a Novation, or alike, automap controller can control it just like on a asb (prroviding your controller has lots of knobs). Thats the way to go! :)

I see the Plugiator sometimes for 275-300 euro with all plugins on the 2nd hand market. Then you got all ASB synthmodels + vocodizer + organ and Lightwave...and you'll a bit more certain there will be some support.
Janni

Post by Janni »

keyboardman9999 wrote:The error message is as follows:
PIL extraction failed: Please ensure that the read write permissions has been enabled in Plugiator app folder.
This messages occurs when I try and install plug-ins (registered).
You're on mac and want the softwareeditor to register all the plugs you already installed via WIN, right?
Had the same problem and just wrote an email to useaudio...
a few days later they sent me some files which I had to manually copy into the right folder and everything was fine...
Hope that helps...
-/-
bjoerngiesler

Post by bjoerngiesler »

I know, reviving an age-old topic... but I just bought a Plugiator, registered, tried to install Vocodizer using Plugin Manager 1 on Mac, failed with the same permission error mentioned by keyboardman9999. So I went at it with some Unix tools and found out the app is pretty shoddily programmed, at least as far as actual plugin management is concerned.

If anyone has the problem, here's what I did to fix it: I opened up a command line (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app) and entered the following:

sudo chown -R `whoami` /Applications/Plugiator.app
sudo touch /tempfile1
sudo chown `whoami` /tempfile1

The first line grants write permissions to the Plugiator app folder to the current user. It will ask for an admin password to do that. The second line will create a file called "tempfile1" in the root directory. Plugiator.app wants to write to this. The third line grants permissions to actually access that file. Once you've done this, installing plugins should work great.