Plugiator

Post by Anna Lüse »

Would be nice to know about the Plugiator

· number of voices
· multitimbrality
· how many models can be stored in the machine
· how many models can be played simultanously
· bug-fixes compared to ASB
· improved sound qualtiy ("sync" on Pro-12/Prodyssey, "ring mod" on Prodyssey)

Tante Anna
Last edited by Anna Lüse on Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
gregae

Re: Plagiator

Post by gregae »

Anna Lüse wrote:Would be nice to know about the Plugiator

· number of voices
· multitimbrality

Tante Anna

Re: Plugiator

Post by HUROLURA »

· number of voices
· multitimbrality

Tante Anna

- From what I remember it could be seen as half an ASB in term of polyphony (single DSP chip solution whereas the ASB had two onboards). So roughly 6 notes for MINIMAX/Pro12/Prodyssey ...
- Multitimbrality seemed to be limited to the simultaneous use of a 6-note polyphony LightWave AND a Vocodizer instance
- 8 plug-in are announced to be able to be stored in the plugiator though only 4 would be released with the device and 2 are already announced (Pro12 & Prodyssey). Other candidate could be the Vector (never finished on the former NOAH) and Pro-One or Six-String (which were available for the NOAH). The Vector and 6-String choice would be great... or something new like this hybrid FM synth already announced for the NOAH in the early year 2003, mentioned about the ASX board, but which seem to be a strange kind of ghost.

I definitely miss a multitimbral mode and a DSP exepansion board (maybe the ASX) to reach the features that were available with a NOAH Ex version for just a fraction of the price ...

CheerZ
Le Bone

Post by Le Bone »

News of it here:

http://www.use-audio.com/plugiator.htm

Seems very cheap!

Lets hope they have fixed the Sync/Ring mod issues of the Prodyssey so they can get to that distintive sound!
gregae

Post by gregae »

Le Bone wrote:News of it here:

http://www.use-audio.com/plugiator.htm

Seems very cheap!

Lets hope they have fixed the Sync/Ring mod issues of the Prodyssey so they can get to that distintive sound!
Thanks, Le Bone!

Ah yes, the long-awaited ASX board in a stand alone configuration. I've always wondered why the ASX was only available as a expansion module for CME MIDI controllers – it makes sense to offer it as a table top unit.

As an owner of a CME UF-5 Controller, I've been watching this with great interest for many months. Sweetwater has had the ASX board in their online catalog for a few months, but said it was not available. Now they are saying it will ship on/around 1/27/08 for $329 (US). Woo-hoo!
pling

Post by pling »

found some news in german:

http://www.delamar.de/plugiator/

the two yet unknown synths seem to be:

FMagia (FM based synth)
Drums’n’Bass (electronic drumkit + bass-synthesizer)
Le Bone

Post by Le Bone »

It reminds me of Noah.

However alot of people want 'Scope' without having to run a PC. I want to leave my PC's as recording tools.

It certainly has a place.
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

Le Bone wrote:It reminds me of Noah.
Yes , so do I. :D

The only thing to consider is that this one is not multitimbral ... so far.
The devices provided are just a subset of the one available for the NOAH.

I hope there is room for an expansion board as it seem you "only" get the DSP power of half an ASB/Klangbox so half the polyphony (probably 5/6 notes on a MINIMAX/PRO12/PRODYSSEY, 12 notes for the Lightwave or half polyphony together with the VOCODIZER I guess).

The good news are the new devices announced:
FMagia (FM based synth) ... probably something based on the nether released "HYBRID" annouced at the launch of the NOAH
Drums’n’Bass (electronic drumkit + bass-synthesizer) ... probably based on an EDS8I + Inferno/EZ-synth like combination to provide a Rebirth like unit.

These are just my own guess...

CheerZ
pling

Post by pling »

yes me too, i'll rather buy another card. but i'd bet the concept is placed a lot better in the market than noah's.

though, the promotion failed so far, at least here on Z. :roll:

Ralf, have you seen this?
What's happening on Thursday, January 17, 2008
Idea Center Sessions (Booth #5501, Hall B)
12 p.m.
How to Make the Sale Without Being Pushy

:P

found at namm 2008 show news here

anyway, i too hope that the two companies will soon sort out their differences. it's way cooler when you are partners instead of enemies.

break on through to the other side

cheers
hifiboom

Post by hifiboom »

I don`t think the asb boxes have more power. I think they also just use one chip and I`m pretty sure the plugiator has the same voice count as the asb boxes.

only drop down i can see is the cheap looking interface and I am pretty sure it misses multitimbrality.

Still I think this little box can hold up pretty good against the virus snow and Waldorf Blofeld, the other two small table top synths, although they have different concepts.

Blofeld has 16 multitimbrality , Access 4 and I guess the plugiator only 1.
Pluiator is the cheapest and will offer among the best sound of all, but more classic synths sound.

Blofeld is also nice with its metal case, a great LCD and many typical waldorf features and also well priced + 16 x multitimbrality

The virus snow seems to be a bit overpriced... but then again its a full virus engine inside.
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

The ASB and Klangboxes boxes have 2 DSP chip: that was the reason why the first MINIMAX ASB had only 6 voices and then after a software update reach 12 voices due to 2nd DSP use ...

CheerZ
Shroomz~>

Re: Plugiator

Post by Shroomz~> »

· number of voices
· multitimbrality
If the plugiator box does have just a single dsp then the "sync" issue you mention shouldn't be an issue any more.
gregae

Polyphony

Post by gregae »

According to the User Manual, the polyphony for the Plugiator and ASX is:

Minimax - 10 voices
B4000 - 91 voices (full)
Lightwave - 12 voices
Vocodizer - 6 voices
Prodyssey - 10 voices
Pro12 - 12 voices

Seems odd that the Minimax and Prodyssey only produce 10 voices while the Lightwave and Pro12 produce 12 voices. What's up with that?

Also, there doesn't seem to be any Mac support at present. The supplied software is PC only. :(
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

If Plugiator had a more generic interface & could run ANY Scope device the USER chooses including a MOD shell, it could've been a winner. Sorry, but I just can't see past XITE-1 now. It's like a mega-chameleon on sharcs.
gregae

Re: Polyphony

Post by gregae »

gregae wrote: Also, there doesn't seem to be any Mac support at present. The supplied software is PC only. :(
Got an email response from Use Audio about this. For anyone interested:

"Thank you for your interest in the Plugiator.
We expect to have the Mac version ready during the first week of April.

Kind regards,

Tech Support
Use Audio Inc."

Good to know that the Mac will be supported! :)
Henrik

Post by Henrik »

Without Creamware or whoever fixing the bugs in Noah, ASB's then I have no faith in these new products...

I already HAVE those modules in my Noah and my ASB Prodyssey.

Why buy it again again again in a new package when we know from history that there will be no support???? No bugfixes????

Pro12 isn't finished in Noah neither in ASB
Prodyssey ASB isn't finished, still bugs which makes it uninteresting in the long run.

The Minimax is great! The Lightwave has some interesting stuff! The B4000 or whatever sounds great... But the rest just isn't finished yet.

So come on Creamware and clean your dirty sheets before you start selling new ones which are still dirty.
borg

Post by borg »

Henrik,

Creamware doesn't exist anymore. The company went bankrupt...
Some CW people started a new company: Sonic Core. One (Frank Hund) started InDSP. They both acquired the rights to use the Scope Platform.
InDSP now have the Plugiator as a standalone unit. Sonic Core chose to continue the SFP approach and will release version 5 and a new hardware unit, replacing the line of PCI cards.

Noah and ASB are, to my knowledge, not included in both new companies' range of products. I expect to see no further support from them, how sad or discouraging it may seem to owners of these units... They will of course put all resources on the new devices, which is only logical.
andy
the lunatics are in the hall
alfonso

Post by alfonso »

slammah2012

Post by slammah2012 »

borg wrote:Henrik,

Creamware doesn't exist anymore. The company went bankrupt...
Some CW people started a new company: Sonic Core. One (Frank Hund) started InDSP. They both acquired the rights to use the Scope Platform.
InDSP now have the Plugiator as a standalone unit. Sonic Core chose to continue the SFP approach and will release version 5 and a new hardware unit, replacing the line of PCI cards.

Noah and ASB are, to my knowledge, not included in both new companies' range of products. WRONG I expect to see no further support from themwrong, how sad or discouraging it may seem to owners of these units... They will of course put all resources on the new devices, which is only logical.
Time has No Master.
*NOW* is the Password.
Just *ASK* and *INVITE* every-
thing you are after..........
borg

Post by borg »

Ok, then I stand corrected... Anyway, neither product are in InDSP's range, and as it is a Plugiator thread...
andy
the lunatics are in the hall