Moderators: valis, garyb

slammah2012

(yamaha CS80)ASB ???

Post by slammah2012 »

Just a general question....
Who would be interested in the development of an
ASB-CS-8000
(yamaha CS80)

***** plese note this image is just a fake rendering and is only a hypothetical question***** and I apologize to anyone taking offence.

***** plese note this image is just a fake rendering and is only a hypothetical question***** and I apologize to anyone taking offence.
Last edited by slammah2012 on Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Time has No Master.
*NOW* is the Password.
Just *ASK* and *INVITE* every-
thing you are after..........
hubird

Post by hubird »

who wouldn't...
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

That would be amazing. Mind you there would be a lot of controls - i think that blank panel would need some filling up. A very different synth to emulate.
gregae

Post by gregae »

A pretty ambitious job to tackle, but a CS-80 ASB could be a very kick-ass box.

Can I get on the waiting list for one now? ;-)
gregae

Post by gregae »

Mr Arkadin wrote:I think that blank panel would need some filling up.
I think that 'blank space' is actually the ribbon controller. The placement in the mock-up is a bit awkward, but a ribbon would be a most welcome performance control, especially if it accurately emulates the behavior of the CS-80 ribbon.
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

gregae wrote:
I think that 'blank space' is actually the ribbon controller. The placement in the mock-up is a bit awkward, but a ribbon would be a most welcome performance control, especially if it accurately emulates the behavior of the CS-80 ribbon.
Nice idea, but the ASBs don't seem to be designed to emulate any controllers - the Prodyssey doesn't have PPC (which are very distinctive sounding compared to wheels). The Minimax and Pro-12 had standard wheels so most controllers would have those. i think they would expect the user to have a ribbon controller (i have a Kurzweil Expressionmate that i use to emulate the PPC for instance).
slammah2012

Post by slammah2012 »

gregae wrote:
Mr Arkadin wrote:I think that blank panel would need some filling up.
How about if it was built like the system 1200...
with each panel its own preset (like the upper / lower manual on the b4000 does independently for the drawbars)
and contain this in the upper asb section....
and in the lower section, have all the master performance control stuff like Footage, and ringmod , master brilliance, portamento etc ...which could be stored in its own master performance preset like the b4000 does with the leslie/vibrato/percussion/condition settings(all independent of the drawbar presets)
That is how the memory structure of the origina cs80 is......
2 independent timbre presets, into a master control panel....
Also keep in mind...... the original CS80 does have a memory panel that actually reduces the entire dual panel to a space smaller than the ASB's currently have....to say there are too many sliders in a small space was defeated back in 1978 when the CS80 originated......now are encoders this small?..... we will see.
ImageImage

I will see If I can drag my CS80 out tonight and take a picture of the asb beside this hidden preset panel......
Time has No Master.
*NOW* is the Password.
slammah2012

Post by slammah2012 »

Mr Arkadin wrote:
gregae wrote:
Nice idea, but the ASBs don't seem to be designed to emulate any controllers - the Prodyssey doesn't have PPC (which are very distinctive sounding compared to wheels). The Minimax and Pro-12 had standard wheels so most controllers would have those. i think they would expect the user to have a ribbon controller (i have a Kurzweil Expressionmate that i use to emulate the PPC for instance).
Not so true.......remember the drawbars on the b4000 asb...
The B4000 has 9 drawbars...... which are controllers independent of master preset.....Switchable between upper and lower on 2 midi channels or 1 with a split point...
Time has No Master.
*NOW* is the Password.
next to nothing

Post by next to nothing »

slammah2012 wrote:
or a system 3000?

http://www.sequencer.de/pix/creamware/c ... em3000.jpg

;)
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

slammah2012 wrote: Not so true.......remember the drawbars on the b4000 asb...
The B4000 has 9 drawbars...... which are controllers independent of master preset.....Switchable between upper and lower on 2 midi channels or 1 with a split point...
Well they're the sound generating controls, like an Osc knob on a synth. Yes they can be used as performance controllers, but they're not in themself performance controllers as such. The B4000 without drawbars would just be a Klangbox :D .
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

I bet the demo for that 3000 goes something like 'who's the f**king daddy'. :cool:
Lima

Post by Lima »

I would buy it for sure, but the price should be comparable to the actual ASB :-)
Welcome to the dawning of a new empire
hifiboom

Post by hifiboom »

hopefully with an aftertouch keyboard integrated ..... :)
gregae

Post by gregae »

piddi wrote:
slammah2012 wrote:
or a system 3000?

;)
That thing looks like a home-built construction by someone who has some wood-working skills. It's nice, but it's too bad they got cheap and used plywood for the ends instead of using solid wood. And even if solid wood wasn't available, applying a bit of veneer would cover up the exposed edges.

I'd give 'em an 'A' for the effort, though.
slammah2012

Post by slammah2012 »

gregae wrote:
piddi wrote:
slammah2012 wrote:
or a system 3000?

;)
That thing looks like a home-built construction by someone who has some wood-working skills. It's nice, but it's too bad they got cheap and used plywood for the ends instead of using solid wood. And even if solid wood wasn't available, applying a bit of veneer would cover up the exposed edges.

I'd give 'em an 'A' for the effort, though.
Here are some Photos of My CS80, and my Prodyssey.....just to show you sises of the original 4 memory panels....

and finally a Mock up ASB version like the system 1200...with the ribbon on the lower edge.....

Time has No Master.
*NOW* is the Password.
husker

Post by husker »

hifiboom wrote:hopefully with an aftertouch keyboard integrated ..... :)
Polyphonic Aftertouch! (this things getting more expensive all the time :-))
slammah2012

Re: (yamaha CS80)ASB ???

Post by slammah2012 »

slammah2012 wrote:Just a general question....
Who would be interested in the development of an
ASB-CS-8000
(yamaha CS80)

Is this one better??? :D
it has seperate presets for panel 1 and 2...just like the original....and a master patch for the performance controlsand footage settings for the 2 sub-presets.......ribbon is on the bottom

Time has No Master.
*NOW* is the Password.
hubird

Post by hubird »

much better :-)
well done :-)
slammah2012

Post by slammah2012 »

hubird wrote:much better :-)
well done :-)
Thanks......I like it too....
Time has No Master.
*NOW* is the Password.
Le Bone

Post by Le Bone »

Ok the Cake is finished but what about some icing on the cake. What about motorised faders!

They would be so cool on the ASB Range. When I look at an ASB, the settings are not neccesarily set anything like to what the noise is being made!