Klangbox Prodyssey

Discuss the Creamware ASB and Klangbox hardware boxes

Moderators: valis, garyb

AudiosEnvy

Klangbox Prodyssey

Post by AudiosEnvy »

Does the Klangbox version of the Prodyssey sound EXACTLY like the hardware counterpart? Anyone ever compare the two? Do they use the same D/As and hardware synth engine? Anyone?

Also, how is the software for it? I have a CME UF5 that I will use exclusively for the Klangbox if I go this route. I will also be running the editor on a Powermac. Anything to look out for etc etc.
AudiosEnvy

Post by AudiosEnvy »

Thanks for the link. Doesn't really answer my questions though.

So anyone that owns a Klangbox Prodyssey know any of the answers? What do you think of it as a bass machine? I need a solid bass machine in my studio to handle most duties. I liked the demos I heard of the hardware unit, hence the reason I would like to know if the Klangbox is exactly like it?

Any more info from anyone would be greatly appreciated. I am purchasing something this Thursday. Thanks again guys and gals.
alfonso

Post by alfonso »

I have the Prodyssey in Scope and in Noah, not as an ASX or Klangbox, but I can say it's a fantastic synth. It has the sonic personality of its model and can really have a wide sonic palette. it's by far the best emulation of an Odyssey for me, but this is true for the sonic character, not for some functionalities. The big difference is that it's a polyphonic synth and doesn't have the duo mode...it is a difference that I prefer though.

I don't think that there is any emulation that can sound absolutely identical, but if I was a live musician with an ARP Odyssey in my rig and was forced to substitute it I'd be very happy with a Prodyssey. It's a fantastic sounding synth, tight and big basses, punchy brasses, screaming nightmares and sweet pads, everything comes out amazingly well.
gregae

Re: Klangbox Prodyssey

Post by gregae »

AudiosEnvy wrote:Does the Klangbox version of the Prodyssey sound EXACTLY like the hardware counterpart? Anyone ever compare the two? Do they use the same D/As and hardware synth engine? Anyone?

Also, how is the software for it? I have a CME UF5 that I will use exclusively for the Klangbox if I go this route. I will also be running the editor on a Powermac. Anything to look out for etc etc.
Audio -

I'm a Mac user like you, and own both a Prodyssey and Minimax. I run both ASBs from a CME UF5 controller, though not at the same time. My UF5 is configured to control all of the effects parameters for both units (delays & chorus/flanger). The setup works pretty well for me.

I would guess that the electronics in a Klangbox are the same as in the ASB's, minus the control circuitry. This should result in the same sound from either box. As for the software, I can tell you that the Mac editors on both the Minimax and Prodyssey aren't as robust as they should be, and do have a few bugs, although I wouldn't call them 'showstoppers'. However, since Creamware is out of business, there doesn't appear to be any more bug fixes forthcoming. See if you can try a Klangbox and editor software together before you buy. Short of that, you can always download and install the editor by itself (without a KB) and see how it works (the editor for the KB and ASB are basically the same).
AudiosEnvy

Post by AudiosEnvy »

Woohoo. Thanks for the reply! Exactly what I was looking for.

What do you think of the Klangbox Prodyssey for bass duties? Can it hold up to a Novation BassStation?

And Creamware's out of business? What the hell happened?
hubird

Post by hubird »

it (just) changed to SonicCore (runned by original CW developers), no need to panic :-)
gregae

Post by gregae »

AudiosEnvy wrote:Woohoo. Thanks for the reply! Exactly what I was looking for.

What do you think of the Klangbox Prodyssey for bass duties? Can it hold up to a Novation BassStation?

And Creamware's out of business? What the hell happened?
As hubird wrote, SonicCore has picked up the ASB line from CreamWare. Unfortunately, there haven't been any announcements regarding software bug fixes for any of the ASB editors.

There is no need to panic, but probably no reason to expect any hardware or software bug fixes will be addressed either.

As for bass duties, I'd point out that there are two filters available (ARP & Moog) to provide for a wide range of tones. The Moog filter is quite beefy compared to the ARP, but the ARP has it's own unique character. Either one may get you the bass tones your seeking - what you make of it will be up to you.