New Prophet 08 - true analog synth

Discuss the Creamware ASB and Klangbox hardware boxes

Moderators: valis, garyb

ref54

New Prophet 08 - true analog synth

Post by ref54 »

Have you all seen the new Prophet 08 by Dave Smith (p5 creator).

http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/

1,700 uk pounds.

D.
gregae

Post by gregae »

stardust wrote:Interesting and not interesting.
As an owner of John Bowens emulations on scope (Prophet plus, Pro One) I am quite content with Prophet sounds.

I am curious now if there is space for a analog prophet 8 beneath all those native emulations and even soniccores affordable HW box.

To my understanding it is a kind of prestige synth. 2200 Euro is a lot for a "me too"

Solaris will have more flexibility ;)
Analog seems to be the main interest here. If the Prophet 8 were just another digital recreation there probably wouldn't be much buzz about it. Of course, it doesn't hurt that it's designed by Dave Smith himself, who designed the original Prophet 5.

I think there is definitely a market for this synth for the analog-heads among us. For those who want true analog polyphony, there aren't that many choices at present. The Prophet 8 seems poised to take advantage of this niche, and I suspect it will be a best seller amongst the current crop of polys, including Dave's own PolyEvolver. Granted, $2000 (US) is a lot of money, but that's what it costs to get real analog electronics under the keys. Besides, to get 8 analog voices at that price is actually a value (for comparision, the PolyEvolver lists for $2700 - it offers more flexibility than the Pro 8, but it's only 4 voices ).
kybernaut_01

Post by kybernaut_01 »

Actually it's probably the cheapest analog polysynth ever announced!

First I was tempted by it, but the sound examples and the available info points out, that it will not really sound like a sequential synth. Rather like the analog section of the DSI evolver....

With a sound of a Pro-One or a Prophet Rev3 I would have bought it immediately!!
hifiboom

Post by hifiboom »

stardust wrote:Interesting and not interesting.
As an owner of John Bowens emulations on scope (Prophet plus, Pro One) I am quite content with Prophet sounds.

I am curious now if there is space for a analog prophet 8 beneath all those native emulations and even soniccores affordable HW box.

To my understanding it is a kind of prestige synth. 2200 Euro is a lot for a "me too"

Solaris will have more flexibility ;)
actually I think there is always room for an anlog synth.

there was a thread over at kvr already some weeks ago.
btw an studio electronics 8 voice synth is way more expensive.
So actually a good deal but still too expensive for me. :lol:
fx1mark

Post by fx1mark »

Dave smith has said all along that the analog part on the evolver was a prophet 5 voice. there is an article about the prophet 08 in the new keyboard magazine and dave says it sounds better than a prophet 5. I owned a prophet five i would like a modern version to sound fatter. it really is a bargain if you compare it ti the four voice PEK or a moog voyager. i have a nord rack 2 which was very cheap and close enough to that sound for my purposes though.
kybernaut_01

Post by kybernaut_01 »

fx1mark wrote:Dave smith has said all along that the analog part on the evolver was a prophet 5 voice. there is an article about the prophet 08 in the new keyboard magazine and dave says it sounds better than a prophet 5. I owned a prophet five i would like a modern version to sound fatter. it really is a bargain if you compare it ti the four voice PEK or a moog voyager. i have a nord rack 2 which was very cheap and close enough to that sound for my purposes though.
Yeah, of course they say that ...You know, they CAN'T sound like a Prophet because the original chips (CEM3320 for the filter amongst others) are no longer in production. DSI let produce a new revision of the curtis filter chip, which is not identical. The original production process of the 80s is not available today anymore...Also, the DSI stuff uses DCOs rather than VCOs und digital generated control voltages.
I
cheers,
kybernaut
fx1mark

Post by fx1mark »

I am not an analog purist, if it sounds good to me, i like it. I would definately rather have a dco, my synth tuning days are over.
Bluescreen

Post by Bluescreen »

I think that the P'08 does not quite sound like a Prophet 5, but it sounds good.

More demos: http://www.trippler.net/files/p8/p8h.mp3
Anna Lüse

Post by Anna Lüse »

Multiple Choices
The document name you requested (/files/p8/p8h.mp3) could not be found on this server. However, we found documents with names similar to the one you requested.
Available documents:

/files/p8/p8m.mp3 (mistyped character)
/files/p8/p8k.mp3 (mistyped character)
/files/p8/p8l.mp3 (mistyped character)
/files/p8/p8a.mp3 (mistyped character)
/files/p8/p8b.mp3 (mistyped character)
/files/p8/p8c.mp3 (mistyped character)
/files/p8/p8d.mp3 (mistyped character)
/files/p8/p8e.mp3 (mistyped character)
/files/p8/p8f.mp3 (mistyped character)
/files/p8/p8g.mp3 (mistyped character)
/files/p8/p8i.mp3 (mistyped character)
Please consider informing the owner of the referring page about the broken link.
Bluescreen

Post by Bluescreen »

Anna, I chose the wrong letter deliberately because clicking on the link with a misspelled file name shows all other available files without too much typing work.
Anna Lüse

Post by Anna Lüse »

raffiniert
Bluescreen

Post by Bluescreen »

It's all about backlit wheels:

Bluescreen

Post by Bluescreen »

I'm hoping for a purple wheel upgrade set for the Mono Evolver Keyboard.
dawman

Post by dawman »

I demo'd the 8 voice Studio Electonics CODE last week at a local jingle house.

A rapper w/ a good following here brought it in. The " Thugs."

It is FAT w/ 8 voices, but in unison mode my Oberheims tear it up big time.

Their voice cards use the best electronics, and capacitors, and it is a quality synth. But it's strengths are the Oberheim sounding filter, and the new Sine Wave Generator which can do some serious deep bass.

These guys had little keyboard skills, but I was impressed with the speed at which they could put together their grooves with an Akai MPC, and the Code 2.

I will be doing some collaboration w/ the lead rapper this weekend when I get back from the City by the Bay.

If I had the 5 large for an 8 voice model, I still wouldn't buy it. They are built by demand, and since the demand is somewhat low right now, I will get it when they come down to 3 large. It would be a good deal then. To blend that w/ JB's hardware Solaris through my cabinets and sub would be Tsunami-ish.

I hope John Bowen releases a hardware Pro Wave personally. It has the SSM / Prophet sound, but so much more than D. Smiths " new Prophet ".
He should make an 8 voice Evolver, as that was a great sounding synth IMHO.

I know Solaris will be the most awesome hardware synth. I have had many synths, but never have had one like the Solaris. I can already hear Benoist Guitton's super sick presets. He has a signature sound all his own.
dawman

Post by dawman »

I lost count of how many Prophets I have.

I bought my first 15DSP card and the guy had some plugs on it that were made from DP somehwere. They weren't very good, but a plug I never saw from CW called Profit 5 ? was on it.

So let's see, Pro-12, Profit 5, Prophet Plus, Profett DP ? and ProWave.

Way too many of these.

But ProWave is a masterpeice. Mixing the CEM's, SSM LP, WAV Osc's, and Sample Oscillators w/ Kyma and D50 waveforms is just liquifying.

D.Smith was wise to let John help in building the Mod section in his synth.

Solaris will surely rule the Heavens and Earth.
pr16

Post by pr16 »

kybernaut_01 wrote: that it will not really sound like a sequential synth. Rather like the analog section of the DSI evolver....
immediately!!
I've tried it out at guitar center and that's not actually right. As you'll hear from other folks the sound is actually halfway between the evolver and the p5 - with some nice edges to the sound. A couple of friends who've also tried out pretty much go along with that & are favorable.