Why didn't they do it like this in the first place ???

Discuss the Creamware ASB and Klangbox hardware boxes

Moderators: valis, garyb

Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

Nice work, but does it still fit on your desktop?
dawman

Post by dawman »

Unbelievable !!
That's a work of art. I was floored as my memory was flippin' through some pages saying yeah those are the tips.

God it's been 20 some years since I touched one, but your retro rig is kick ass all the way.

I will be doing a little custom touch up for my Solaris in hardware this Christmas with some laquered Redwood sides. It too will look cool, as I will be getting the gray w/ Olive tint model.

But yours is a complete remake of a classic with a new look. You have done wonders for your ( yawn, yawn ) desktop.

Unfuckinbelievable !!
ulrichte

Post by ulrichte »

Nice work, but does it still fit on your desktop?
It's not meant to stay on a desktop but on a stand on stage :wink:
I can't play an Odyssey sitting anyway...

Thanx for the comments.
Next I'll buy a Pro12 and make it into a 5 octave keyboard and wood case.
A nice minimoog version was already done by steve mardsen so there's only the Pro 12 left...
dawman

Post by dawman »

Whatever happened to the camoflaouge Noah I saw years ago?
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

Hey, don't get me wrong. When I first saw the ASBs my reaction was 'wow cool, but where's the keyboard?'

I was merely pointing out the simple fact that they were designed for the desktop & that's partly why 'they didn't do it like this in the first place'. Why for the desktop? Well they obviously thought the market was there for desktop units... The costs could be kept as low as possible (although the KlangBox takes that to a whole other level).

Do you know what really makes me laugh.. people always want something to be different to what it is, to what it was designed to be. If it's an unrackmountable desktop unit, people want to rack mount it. If it's a big mother of a synth with keyboard, people want a desktop version. ... It goes on & on like this infinitely :lol:

Anyway, great work ulrichte !! :)
johnbowen

Post by johnbowen »

Shroomz II wrote:Do you know what really makes me laugh.. people always want something to be different to what it is, to what it was designed to be. If it's an unrackmountable desktop unit, people want to rack mount it. If it's a big mother of a synth with keyboard, people want a desktop version. ... It goes on & on like this infinitely :lol:
Yes, I've already had a bunch of requests for either a tabletop version or a 3-octave keyboard version of the Solaris! Funny thing is, that was the original plan, but as I developed the user interface more, it became obvious I was going to need a much bigger surface that didn't conform to a 19" wide spec.
If the Solaris sells well enough, then I can look into producing a desktop unit at some point, although the interface would have to be severely cut back.

cheers,
john b.
dawman

Post by dawman »

I will still buy whatever you make, whatever the cost.

Just don't cave in for the VSTi crowd with their high features, and low cost demands.

I hope you rake in 50% profit after your overhead on the 1st 100 sold.
bill3107

Post by bill3107 »

i am amazed that the keyboard market has not become one of the soniccore's target. Years ago i had suggest a good keyboard (there are so many bad ones on the market !) that would give some specific features for scope for example. Of course it means hardware and hence high costs...

John, your product is for sure a must-have and your name upon a keyboard is a quality guarantee in terms of sound and manufacturing.
ulrichte

Post by ulrichte »

I made some very bad quality (recorded with picture camera) videos.
Recorded on the laptop soundcard, mono, unit's FX are bypassed.
I'll try to upload them to YouTube but so far it didn't work.

Check there for sounds and avi
or on youtube
Le Bone

Post by Le Bone »

ulrichte wrote:I bought them at mouser.com
These are switch caps, but by twisting them they fit nicely on the sliders.

http://www.mouser.com/catalog/628/1339.pdf
I have just ordered some from the US and they will cost more in the posting than the product! The covers/caps contain lead and do not meet ROSH standards so customs may confiscate!

Anyhow as postage is so high, I have ordered 3 x the quantity so if anyone wants to split the costs pm me. Otherwise I will be putting these switches on everything, the dogs, the missus, the kids, my............

I am now looking at the possibility of using transparent Labels in my inkjet printer to produce the nice orange decals for the boxes. Anyone got any better ideas? A full printed self adhesive overlay would be really nice complete with the white orange Prodyssey logo! Would swap for some switch covers!