MiniMax Oscillator 3

Discuss the Creamware ASB and Klangbox hardware boxes

Moderators: valis, garyb

MFF

MiniMax Oscillator 3

Post by MFF »

I just noticed something strange. The saw+triangle waveform (second choice from the left) sounds completely different on oscillator 3 than it does on oscillators 1 and 2. On oscillator 3, saw+triangle sounds just like saw (third from the left).

I never noticed this before because I usually use oscillator 3 as an LFO.

Can anyone else confirm this? I have the latest OS installed.

Regards,
Mike
MFF

MiniMax Oscillator 3

Post by MFF »

I just re-read the Sound on Sound review. Apparently this is intentional. It would have been nice if Creamware changed the front panel graphics accordingly:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan06/a ... maxasb.htm

"Creamware have varied one of oscillator 3's waveforms, replacing the mixed triangle/sawtooth with a reverse sawtooth (although this isn't shown on the front panel). The reverse sawtooth doesn't sound any different from the forward version, but it offers another, distinctive modulation source."
gregae

Re: MiniMax Oscillator 3

Post by gregae »

MFF wrote:On oscillator 3, saw+triangle sounds just like saw (third from the left).

Can anyone else confirm this? I have the latest OS installed.

Regards,
Mike
Yep, instead of the 'sharktooth' waveform Creamware used a reverse sawtooth for Osc 3 as you'll discovered. A reverse sawtooth (sometimes also called a 'ramp' waveform) sounds just like a sawtooth wave since both have the same harmonic structure (the overtones are actually 180 degrees out of phase in the ramp wave, but our ears can't hear the difference).

--G
Bluescreen

Post by Bluescreen »

Combining a normal saw wave and a reversed sawwave leads to a result that pretty much sounds like width modulation of a pulse wave.