Anybody using Alesis Micron to control Minimax ASB

Discuss the Creamware ASB and Klangbox hardware boxes

Moderators: valis, garyb

ref54

Anybody using Alesis Micron to control Minimax ASB

Post by ref54 »

Hi,
Are any of you using the Alesis Micron synth to control your Minimax ASB (or any ASB)?

If so, have you had any problems?
Is the Micron a good match to the ASB's?

Thanks,
Derek.
ohmstudiste

Post by ohmstudiste »

Do you mean keyboard control ie using the Micron as the master keyboard for a minimax ?
If it's just keyboard control there should be no pb. The micron is not the best keyboard controller available but it'll do the job.
You will however not be able to use the 3 knobs on the micron to control the minimax. (not without a computer anyway).
So that you know the 2 sliders acts as ModWheel and Aftertouch.

If you'll just looking for a controller I advice the E-mu Xboard25 or M-Audio Axiom.
Both have excellent action and aftertouch. And the price is very low for the Xboard25 (80/90 euros used).
I bought a Xboard 25 to mod my prodyssey and make it a standalone synth.It plays nice and runs on battery.
If you need more the 2 octave, well, you have the Xboard49 and Axiom49 of course :P

But if you have some money spare, get the micron. It's really a syntethis beast (3 osc, lots of filters, 12 slot matrix, built in sequencer etc) . Much undervalued. I have one and I would'nt sell. I love my Prodyssey but there so many more possibilities with the micron. Even Dave Smith PolyEvolver couldn't compete on some aspect.
Only drawbacks is the lack of knobs, even if layout is well made and programmation is not that hard.
I'm thinking of building a custom controller for it (MidiBox) or getting an ion.
ref54

Post by ref54 »

Thanks for the reply.

I have a micron already and I agree with you...it's great.

I bought a Minimax a few weeks ago and had to send it back because it was out of tune (by 4 semitones). I used my Photon X25 (another great controller) to play the Minimax first, and didn't notice the tuning, although I was just running through the presets hitting 1 or 2 noted. Next day I hooked it up to the Micron and played it for real, but that's when I noticed the tuning. I am getting the new Minimax this week and was just getting paranoid about using the Micron and the same thing happening.

I'm planning on flight casing the two synths and a small mixer and using them as one unit.

I've just downloaded 3 presets for the Behringer BRC2000 for Micron from the Yahoo Ion/Micron users group. Haven't had a chance to try them out though.

Thanks,
Dere.