Minimax out of tune...help!

Discuss the Creamware ASB and Klangbox hardware boxes

Moderators: valis, garyb

ref54

Post by ref54 »

Hi,
Just bought a Minimax ASB. Awsome synth, but:

1. It sounds like there is a ton of solder rolling around inside the case.
Are these boxes easy to open up (to empty it)?

1. The whole synth plays 4 semitones out. I play a C and an E comes out.
Is there a master reset or master tune?

On the remote software, my OS is 00000102. is this out of date (my overload light works fine).If I update the OS will itr solve the tuning problem?

Thanks,
D. :-?
fx1mark

Post by fx1mark »

the minimax is easy to open. there is a tune knob on the upper left of the box. there is no indicator anywhere that tells you what you current operating system is, if the overdrive input LED lights when it is overdriven, yoy have the newest O.S.
steven2948

Post by steven2948 »

Hello D.

Be careful when you open the case that you catch what's rattling around inside. It may be a SMD component that's fallen off the board - a small capacitor fir example. Also you may void your warranty ( if it's worth anything at all ) so be careful how much of the truth you tell the dealer when you take it back!

Out of tune , with the Tune knob at 12-0-clock ? Check the MIDI messages page on your software on the PC while its connected to the minimax and make sure your picth wheel is sending out the correct midi codes. It should be fairly obvious as the numbers should go up when you pitch up and down when you picth down, and you will see a null in the middle. Do a Google search for Pitch MIDI data and you'll find lots of info about the standard midi codes. You may have a problem with your Midi controller / keyboard causing the pitch to be a few semi-tones high.

If the O/L LED works you have the lastest ( and maybe last ? ) O/S installed.

Good luck with it - please post the solution when you find it for future ref.

Steve
ref54

Post by ref54 »

Thanks for the reply's

I'll have a look at the midi message page when I get home.

I've used three differend controller keyboards, an Alesis Micron, Alesis Photon X25 and a Roland PC200, but got the same result. Minimax tune knob is in the centre position (63).

I won't open the box up until (if) I get the tuning problem sorted, but how do you open it? Does the sides come off first?

Thanks again,
D.
ref54

Post by ref54 »

I got this message back from Ralf Bach:

Hello,

i've never heard about this problem,

maybe an OS-update will fix it.
ref54

Post by ref54 »

Got my replacement Minimax last week and there are no rattles inside, the buttons are all tight and sit horizontal or vertical (not diagonally).

The Minimax played in tune for a week, until I put on my laptop and run Remote. As soon as they hooked up, the Minimax started playing a tone out. This time I knew it was Remote that must be causing the problem. I checked the version and it was 1.0.04 (I think).

I uninstaled the software and downloaded version 2.3 (I think) from the ASB site. Now my box is playing in tune again.

Just thought that I'd post this in case anybody else gets this problem. You don't need to send the box back...although in my case, I'm glad I did, as I had half a scrap yard rolling around inside.

D.