Klangbox minimax

Discuss the Creamware ASB and Klangbox hardware boxes

Moderators: valis, garyb

puchu

Klangbox minimax

Post by puchu »

Hi guys, I'd like to buy a klangbox but I 'd like to know better how does it work!

If I don't have a notebook I can't buy a klangbox?

If it's possible to play without a computer, how can I assign klangbox parameters to knobs and fader of the master keyboar ? and is there the possibilities to load preset from master keyboard to klangbox?
I need only a mster keyboard linked to klangbox to play or I MUST bring my Notebook with me?

Thanks anyway!
hubird

Post by hubird »

just a keyboard is enough.
You can change presets (programs) from the keyboard, and do other basic stuff as well :-)
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

Each parameter of a Klangbox is assigned a Midi CC message. This information is availbale in the technical reference appendice manual.
The work that have to be done is to map these Midi CC message to your masterkeyboard knobs.
I did it for the BCR2000 midi controller for the NOAH (Midi CC parameter mapping is very close for KlangBox/ASB and the older NOAH):

http://www.planetz.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18426

Could be helpfull if you also use a BCR2000 together with your masterkeyboard.

CheerZ
puchu

Post by puchu »

Thank you all for your answers, but I still don't understand... when I buy a klangbox I can't see any synth parameter because the balck box has no knobs, so I think the only parameters wich are just ready to work are the ones I find on the master keyboard (example... cut-off, resonance, volume exc..), but fot the other ones? If I'd like to change the cut-off knob in an oscillator knob? What I have to do?
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

For a more precise explanation could you tell us what type of masterkeyboard you use ?
puchu

Post by puchu »

I don't have a master keyboard yet, I'll buy one if I better understand if it's possible to use the klangbox without a pc, or maybe if it's possible to assign a synth value to a knob of a master keyboard through a pc and than disconnect the pc and use only the klangbox with a masterkeyboard. I hope to have been clear... Anybody can help me? No one has a manual???
next to nothing

Post by next to nothing »

ftp://ftp.creamware.de/Manuals/MINIMAX_ ... imax_E.pdf

minimax ASB manual.

The Remote software is the same for klangox as far as i know, and the manual says you can upload presets to the "box" so yes you can set it up via remote software, leave your fancy mac at home and do ya thang.

-edit- w000t im a guru! cheeers!
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

From the information you give send it should be possible for you then to build up a setup includng:
- 1 masterkeyboard to play notes and select sound programs
- 1 BCR2000 midi controller (for which the preset assgnment is already done) to tune your own sounds or adjust already available sounds
- 1 klangbox for producing sounds

One other alternative would be though the full Minimax ASB which integrate a dedicated Midi controller.

Hope this helps

CheerZ
husker

Post by husker »

Of course there are many 'master keyboards' now with a lot of knobs, sliders and buttons. These are freely assignable to whatever parameter in the Klangbox synth you want to use. One of the keyboards + klangbox is all you would need, not PC required.
fx1mark

Post by fx1mark »

I have a novation 25 le usb keyboard controller. it has a nice display that makes it fairly easy to assign the knobs and buttons to control almost any parameter on my prodyssey klangbox. but a problem is, as i have pointed out in an earlier thread, you cannot save without a computer attached. I asked creamware about this, and they said it is meant to be used with the software. seems like it would be a simple thing to fix it but i think it is highly unlikely that it would ever be . saving with the software only is not nearly as intuitive as on my minimax asb.
husker

Post by husker »

wow...that's a pretty big limitation

the software can work through midi only right? (without usb) so it must be sysex commands doing the 'save'...should be able to figure it out by monitoring the midi comms between the software and klanger
Le Bone

Post by Le Bone »

In my experience.....

I bought the Prodyssey Klangbox. Even though I had a decent Master keyboard that did not require a PC (Keystation 88 PRO) the Klangbox was a complete pain to control and I could not find a way of saving patches without a PC. There will be a MIDI CC code to do it somewhere.

The klangbox is really for programming with the editor on your PC and then recalling patches live from your Master keyboard with some tweaks etc from your master keyboard. To use it without a PC would be too much like hard work. The software supplied isn't too hot anyway, and the devices do not even act as virtual VSTi's in a DAW Application.

I ended up ditching the Klangbox (sold it at a huge loss on ebay), and bought an ASB, I am now alot happier.

So in my opinion, if you do not have a PC/Mac don't get a Klangbox. But my first option should be always to get ASB's.

WYSIWYG, instant control, leave the PC at home.

If only they had stuck a few buttons and a display on the klangbox it could have opened up a huge market.
  • Save button.
    Button for MIDI/channel etc.
    Up/down buttons (or a dial).
    LED display (keep it cheap)
fx1mark

Post by fx1mark »

I used the midi monitor on my minimax asb to see what cc messages were being sent when i saved a patch and made my keyboard send the same thing to the klangbox but no luck. I even tried using the minimax to control the klangbox and it still wouldn't save. I wish there was a way i could add a save button but i doubt if it's possible.