More B4000 Woes

Discuss the Creamware ASB and Klangbox hardware boxes

Moderators: valis, garyb

pbernosky

More B4000 Woes

Post by pbernosky »

I love the sound of this box. really. It's a kickin' sound.

However, the box has stopped responding to any knob turn, drawbar change, or button press. Bass, Treble, percussion,, leslie control, etc. appear to work (lights turn on/off, display updates numerically) but the sound does not change in kind.

It works through MIDI - I can change things via midi control - volume, leslie, etc. - so the sound engine is working. It's just none of the knobs do anything - so my ASB has beecome a Klangbox, quite unintentionally.

Anyone have any ideas? Can I do a "hard reset" on this box / restore to factory defaults kind of thing?

I'd hate to have to return it, but alas I need the UI!

/pber
dawman

Post by dawman »

Is the unit brand new? If so, where did you purchase it ?

It seems as though it might be stuck in a diagnostic mode. I can't tell you what to do, but there should be a button or switch to hold when you power it up.

PM me if you get lucky and discover the cure, as I believe it is something rather easy. Those units were built very well, w/ quality components.

Strength And Honor,

JV
Le Bone

Post by Le Bone »

Sounds like you have gone into "local Midi off" mode. You want local MIDI on. This is easy to do on the Prodyssey and PRO-12, but the manual for the B4000 does not mention this!

On the MIDI implementation chart for the B4000 I can see 122 sets local "off" as you have now, but nothing to set back again. I would suggest sending "0", "63", and "127" in turn to this address to see if it also switches it back on!

I would suggest looking at the Prodyssey manual and seeing how that is done and see if you can do something similar on the B4000 (the pics on the B4000 Manual are very blurred so cannot see all the button/switches etc). When I have uploaded a new ldr file to my ASB's it has lost my patches so I would suggest that this may be an option to do a "Hard Reset".

Good Luck!
pbernosky

Local midi - yep, that was it

Post by pbernosky »

LeBone, you got it.

Local midi mode was off, which disables all the panel controls. Essentially, turning it into a klangbox rather than an ASB. Two button pushes later and it's back to normal!

Truthfully, I don't even know why you'd want that function - and surely wouldn't want it to happen during a gig.

the B4000 is not always 100% intuitive (I used to play the Korg CX-3 that this replaced that was much easier to understand) however, the sound of the B4000 is just soooo much better that its worth the headache.

Thanks for your responses![/code]
Le Bone

Post by Le Bone »

:D Glad to be of help.

Local mode off is for when:

1) you want to use the bttons etc as amidi controller for asoftsynth whilst still using the B4000 as a midi device.

2) when you have midi out connected to your DAW and you alter the ASB and you don't want the ASB to apply changes to your ASB sound engine AS WELL as the MIDI that is bein applied to the MIDI in from your DAW in response to your MIDI out from your DAW. If you do that you have a MIDIloop and the ASB sqarks erratically.

I expect that is clear as mud!!!

I always leave local on and never use MIDI out!

Have fun.
hubird

Post by hubird »

often you have the choice of Buttons Internal+Out.
You then have to switch off the thru on that midi track channel in the Midi filter settings.
I wanne have all Midi outs of external gear instantly recordable, so I leave the outs always on :-)