minimax weird midi problem

Discuss the Creamware ASB and Klangbox hardware boxes

Moderators: valis, garyb

autoflavour

minimax weird midi problem

Post by autoflavour »

hello

i am having a strange issue with the minimax. when ever i sent a arpeggiator thru to the minimax it sounds like its struggling with the amount of data being sent to it. it then usually ends up locking up on a note and continously playing it.

my set up is

Waldorf Q as controller into digi 002 then back out to the minimax.

but even when im just using ableton and the built in arpeggiator talking straight to the minimax out of the 002, i get the same kinda thing happening.

am running it on a MBP 2Ghz.

another weird thing is that the creamware sometimes just randomly changes patches during these times..

is this a minimax issue?

i kinda get the feeling your going to send me over to digidesign, but i also can feel they are probably going to send me back here.

any clues would be fantastic

rock
tom
hubird

Post by hubird »

No worries, you're at the right place :-)

I don't have the Minimax, but could it be it's a matter of polyphony?
If you are used to the typical polyphonic monsters of Roland and Yamaha's, you could be mislead when using a DSP based Minimax, which is more rather a sound monster.
try to reduce the release time to see if this helps.
You tried that probably already, but in case of :-)

now that you're here, you could check this out:
http://www.planetz.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9475
Minimax patches :-)
Le Bone

Post by Le Bone »

I have had similar sounding problems with my PRO-12 and two Prodysseys.

In my case it was to do with midi loops. Whatever I did with my ASB knobs affected the ASB and then got sent to midi/usb and then back around through my midi in back to what I was doing. lots of flashing lights/grunts espec when changing patches.

For me I had two choices. Local midi off of or change my DAW so that it did not reroute ASB/Klangbox messages back again.

However it may be a different problem. I ahve not tried to arpeggiate my boxes - yet!
autoflavour

Post by autoflavour »

its a tad confusing as i honestly think im trying to wraggle 2 different problems.

firstly the minimax getting stuck when too much data is sent to it and secondly that the 002 /Q might not be setup correctly.

surely tho, even as its a DSP that it should be able to handle 1/16 arpeggiator at 100bpm?

as for rerouting back, its a one way street in my setup.. it doesnt come back

hmmmm.... thanks for the tips so far tho
fx1mark

Post by fx1mark »

I use my triton's arp to play my minimax all the time. I have had no problems. I would check to make sure the only data being sent to the minimax is note on-off. try running the Q directly to the minimax. make sure all other midi transmit data is disabled, program change, control change, etc... if it is still acting up open the midi monitor. play one note. make a note of the data sent. clear the midi monitor and let the arp play one note. compare the two. see if there is any extra data being sent. It sounds to me like there is program change data being sent. the minimax doesn't like to change patches in mid-note. I am currently working on a song that has an arp playing the minimax and constantly altering the filter with control change messages. heck listen to bluecreens music, he's really exercising his minimax with arpeggios. I hope you figure out the problem.
autoflavour

Post by autoflavour »

just to follow up.. after spending hour upon hour pulling my studio apart i concluded this ..

the mini max doesnt like getting its midi data on a midi line which has been thru a splitter (in this case the midimax thru 1x4

after much faffing about, i finally stuck the minimax directly into the back of the digi002 and voila, all my problems melted away.

strange.
but true

i just ordered a pro12, hopefully i wont have the same issue.. fingers crossed.

i love this minimax.. its lovely.. just made me think i was going nuts last night.
fx1mark

Post by fx1mark »

Glad you got it sorted out. I just got a yamaha yme8 splitter and hasn't caused me any problems with the minimax.

http://home.earthlink.net/~fx1mark/