B4000 Midi control

Discuss the Creamware ASB and Klangbox hardware boxes

Moderators: valis, garyb

pbernosky

B4000 Midi control

Post by pbernosky »

Any B4000 users there?

I've just purchased a new B4000 (replaced my Korg CX3 with it - definitely a sound upgrade) and am having a problem with remotely controlling the leslie from my midi keyboard. I'd like to control the slow/fast control from either the modulation wheel or the aftertouch, however the unit does not respond to either. I have connected the B4000 to my PC, and enabled "AT" in the control panel using the ASB supplied software.

Is there a way to remotely control the speed of the leslie from a MIDI control?

Hardware version: 1.29
DSP version: 1.19
- pber
fx1mark

Post by fx1mark »

I don't have a B4000. but what you need is to set up a midi controller to send a control change to the b4000. there is a list on page 31 of the manual that lists all of the controller numbers. number 96 controls the fast parameter, I don't see a number for slow. you can also open the midi monitor in your remote software and as you switch from fast to slow it will display the controller number there. if you have a midi controller on your keyboard that you can assign a control number to. you should be able to switch the speed. hope this helps some, good luck.
hubird

Post by hubird »

you could also pm Scope4live, he knows about in detail I guess, and he could miss this forum :-)
pbernosky

Found it

Post by pbernosky »

So, it turns out its CC#82 - found it (accidentally, of course) when I hooked it up to a different controller keyboard, and just started moving faders. Then, used the midi monitor to see which one it actually is.

I REALLY wish that I could get the mod wheel or aftertouch to change the speed, unfortunately this doesn't seem to work as advertised. The PC software has a switch (and the manual mentions it as well) that you (should) be able to switch via aftertouch. Alas, it doesn't work. *sigh*
"If you have to ask what jazz is, you'll never know." - Louis Armstrong
slammah2012

Post by slammah2012 »

My problem is different....
My audio input volume control on the B4000 sends my input signal directly to the coresponding L. & R. outputs, bypassing the distortion, and tube drive effects simulator and leslie components of the hardware......which is in contradiction to the claims I based my purchase decision on.... :-?

http://asb.creamware.com/index.php?lang ... &product=2
Description
The organ has a wide range of emotions. It can be Image
obtrusive and loud when in high spirits, warm and
engaging if in a mellow mood. In short, an instrument for players who want do more than to just perform Bach's fugues (although it can do that, too).

Is it possible at all to reconstruct that beast in software? Sure. Not easy, but possible.
And can one play the outcome? Meaning, play it as it is meant to be played? Of course.

The B4000 ASB does away with the barrier between sophisticated state-of-the-art software and an instrument to be tormented by the performer's hands, just like in the good old days. Software? Yes. Computer? No. Instrument? Definitely! We at CreamWare were not satisfied with just recording and replaying the sound of the B3. With static samples? Unthinkable!

Instead, the greatest Hammond of all was meticulously examined. Each and every single of the 91 tone wheels, the analog circuits, the interactions between organ and Leslie, the key click, the crosstalk of the choruses even when all the drawbars are off — all of this and more was scrutinized down to the most minute detail. The product is a Hammond sound as it has to be: lively, authentic, heavy. Close your eyes and use your ears. Not to mention that you won't have to drag 400 pounds onto the stage.

If you want an organ sound sending shivers down your spine, a Leslie cabinet is a must. This is why the B4000 ASB incorporates one. Not a real one, of course, but you’ll notice the difference. Bass and treble speakers with separate settings for variable rotation speeds and accelerations, independent pickup microphones for the individual speakers, Doppler effect — everything you need right at your fingertips.

Just for kicks, you can also edit the ravages of time. What about using tone wheels that are ten years old? Or fifty years old? Just tweak that knob a bit – that's it. Functions such as percussion, vibrato, or drawbar distortion are implemented, too. But we also added some stuff for those who think that time hasn't stood still since 1955. Velocity sensitivity like with modern synthesizers? Tunable signal envelopes? And if you want to modify the sound of your brand new synthesizer with the Leslie, distortion, and tube drive effects of the B4000, you will welcome the integrated audio input, to bring some fresh new sounds to your existing gear

B3 TM and Hammond TM are registered trademarks of Hammond Suzuki
Time has No Master.
*NOW* is the Password.
Just *ASK* and *INVITE* every-
thing you are after..........
fx1mark

Post by fx1mark »

pbernosky, I have a small midi box called a midi solutions event processor. It allows me to map any midi event to another midi event. I can assign any controller on my triton to control any parameter of another synth.
dawman

Post by dawman »

I would use a real rotary cabinet like a Motion-Sound Pro 3t, but that's if you are looking to get a real B3 sound. The CW Leslie is adequate, but pretend you are using a real Leslie pre-amp, i.e. the pedal w/ fast and slow buttons. But replace it w/ a latch style footpedal, so you can use both hands to play.

I hate seeing a whole hand go to waste on MIDI CC's myself, and would opt 4 the pedal, or aftertouch as a second, As long as you can still play w/ your left.
Afterall, even the rock Gods of Yore used 2 hands.

I use SpaceF's CC5 MIDI device to put all 4 drawbars( 8',5 1/4', 4', 2 2/3'. ) onto one of my controllers, or a slider which is reversed BTW, so I can pull it down, as opposed to sliding it up. This makes the B2003 quite realistic, and dynamic also. Thanks to CW I will never have to lug a B3 around again, and wouldn't dream of punishing a road crew as I did in the '80's and '90's. I mostly use an expression pedal to control the drawbars, and a foot latcher for the Motion-Sound rotary cabinet. This leaves my hands to jam away as the B3 sound is all about dynamics and control. With the CC5, I also have a volume curve attached to the 5th slot, so I can have swell along with the drawbars. It is great to have such dynamics when doing R & B, jazz, or blues.

My 2 cents,
slammah2012

Post by slammah2012 »

Yeah ok....
Does the F***kkin "Audio input" get routed through the tube simulater and Leslie on anyone elses B4000 unit or what.

Does no one read???

I can throw the Direct creamware b4000 into my leslie cabinet and get a greater sound.........thats a no brainer,,,

the Question is Can other instruments be effected by the B4000s leslie simulater, or did creamware lie deliberately about its abilities on their website???

BTW....I read their disclaimer http://asb.creamware.com/index.php?lang=en&frame=004which admits nothing they say has to be true and that includes " the warranty of merchantability"
Time has No Master.
*NOW* is the Password.
Anna Lüse

Post by Anna Lüse »

It was planned to have this feature in a software update.
Perhaps the follow up companies take care.
astroman

Post by astroman »

outch, that's a real bummer :o
dawman

Post by dawman »

Well if they do upgrade the audio inputs in the future, your 122 or 147 should sound much better anyway. You will most likely prefer what the vibrato ( C3 is way cool ) does to whatever you wish to input through it.

Too bad that the software version is more efficient at routing. You'd think that the hardware version would be @ least as sophisticated.
slammah2012

Re: B4000 Midi control

Post by slammah2012 »

pbernosky wrote:Any B4000 users there?

I've just purchased a new B4000 (replaced my Korg CX3 with it - definitely a sound upgrade) and am having a problem with remotely controlling the leslie from my midi keyboard. I'd like to control the slow/fast control from either the modulation wheel or the aftertouch, however the unit does not respond to either. I have connected the B4000 to my PC, and enabled "AT" in the control panel using the ASB supplied software.

Is there a way to remotely control the speed of the leslie from a MIDI control?

Hardware version: 1.29
DSP version: 1.19
- pber
The footswitch should work.....It works that way directly if you plug into the back of the B4000...turn on your editor and click on the "midi monitor" and toggle the footswitch on and off on the unit and see what the monitor says///
Time has No Master.
*NOW* is the Password.