Really quick question RE Prodyssey

Discuss the Creamware ASB and Klangbox hardware boxes

Moderators: valis, garyb

chriskorff

Really quick question RE Prodyssey

Post by chriskorff »

Hi all,

Just a quick one - I've borrowed a Prodyssey from work, but it didn't have anything with it, just the unit. I know it ships with a 12V 1.5A AC adapter, but looking through my box of wall-warts I've only got a 12V 1.3amp, and a 12V 1.6amp adapter.

Which one should I use? I've had luck with making other things work using adapters that are a couple of hundred mA's out, but I really don't want to fry this thing before I hear what it does...

Suggestions, anyone? I'm guessing the 1.3A one would be safest, but would that mean less power output? Would it be a silly risk to use the 1.6A one?

I wouldn't normally be bothered, but it's not mine and I'd be in a world of sh*t if I fried it.

Advice Please!

Chris
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

Are the adaptors AC? i don't think much will happen if it's a DC wall wart, and a lot of common ones are DC only.
chriskorff

Post by chriskorff »

Cheers for the reply Arkadin,

Yep, both DC-out. The manual online says you can use AC or DC adapters, so I might give the 1.2A one a try (I wrote 1.3 earlier - typo).

You'd think that putting a lower amp adapter in it wouldn't do any damage, so I'll keep my fingers crossed and give it a try...

Thanks,

Chris

[edit] actually, I might wait a bit to see if anyone can clarify this - I REALLY want to hear it, but I really DON'T want to break it!
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

Yes - i don't want to go out on a limb and tell you which one to use :D . Interesting that it takes AC or DC though, didn't know that - quite a cool feature.
ali

Post by ali »

output
12VAC
2.5 A

it takes the same power supply as the A16 Ultra

AC and DC are not the same voltage.

and the unit will be way underpowered with DC voltage and it won't turn on

the ASB boxes the Klang boxes and the A16 Ultra

do not work with DC voltage.
Last edited by ali on Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ali

Re: Really quick question RE Prodyssey

Post by ali »

chriskorff wrote:
I wouldn't normally be bothered, but it's not mine and I'd be in a world of sh*t if I fried it.

Advice Please! Chris
the safest way is to get the proper power supply that arrived with the unit from the dealer.

for warranty reasons this also make sense.
astroman

Post by astroman »

while Ali is of course absolutely correct, you still cannot harm the thing with whatever 12V AC you feed it.

The more ampere the trafo can deliver (an AC PSU is just a transformer), the less the output voltage will drop by the load of the device.
That's why a 12V 500 mA transformer may be measured 15V or more unloaded .
Or a tiny 100 mA version will drop to 6V when loaded by an ASB - which probably wouldn't even beep then ;)

The AC is rectified and stabilized inside the device - this power regulation electronic is fairly robust and also 'protects' the synth and audio circuits from overvoltages.

cheers, Tom
(your decision to ask was the right one, though)