Which ASB to get - Minimax or Prodessey?

Discuss the Creamware ASB and Klangbox hardware boxes

Moderators: valis, garyb

music251

Which ASB to get - Minimax or Prodessey?

Post by music251 »

Hi!

I have a couple of pulsar2 cards which I used to work with a few years ago, but they've collecting dust at home now unfortunately.
I did play around with both minimax and prodessey quite a bit, but it's difficult to remember the difference in sound.

Basically, I'm a big ELP fan, so that should make Minimax ASB the obvious choice. However, I really like the crisp hp-filter ARP sound also.
The Prodessey has the minimoog filter, but not the overdrive function.. How is the difference in sound? I can't remember how well the overdrive function sounded with the minimax...
Can the Prodessey ASB make massive, big and bassy lead and brass sounds like minimax?

Thanks for the help!
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

Well i love Minimax and don't own Prodyssey, but i would actually go for either a Pro-12 or Prodyssey in ASB form over the Minimax ASB - i just think these have some interesting features - the Pro-12 has the cross-mod section and the Prodyssey just has those mad ARP way of doing things.
andyr1960

Post by andyr1960 »

Well, my 2 cents... The Prodyssey has the Moog filter and two oscillators with a dedicated LFO, the MiniMax has 3 oscillators and no LFO (osc 3 acts as LFO) so... if you tend to use LFO's a bit I would choose the Prodyssey over the MiniMax.

*BUT*... please don't start another Moog Vs ARP war, I went through the first one and came out barely alive :lol:

Plus... You can pick up a MiniMax for 499 UK, Prodyssey is 649 UK

I adore my Prodyssey and I think the extra cash is worth it :)
alfonso

Post by alfonso »

I have all the SFP synths, I think Prodyssey is much much more versatile, it can do all the standard stuff but also go really extremwe.
hifiboom

Post by hifiboom »

I slightly prefer the Prodyssey.

But it really depends on what YOU NEED AND LIKE ! :lol:
music251

Post by music251 »

Thanks for the responses, and no I'm not starting an ARP vs. Moog war. I love both synths/sound signatures.. :)
So the Prodessy with the low-pass moogfilter gives big, boomy leads/basses - similiar to the minimax?
Thanks!
Tiitu

Post by Tiitu »

Pro-12 is also very nice! I got Minimax first. And, I wanted to get B4000, but I just bought the Pro-12 with discount, and there are lots of interesting sounds in these two little great beasts.
Le Bone

Post by Le Bone »

I agree with titu. I have a pro-12 and a klangbox. The Pro-12 sounds excellent and the Prodyssey sounds completely different A great compliment to each other. I am keeping/using both! Where a minimax would fall in, I am no sure as I now have that filter model!