Comparing Prodyssey to the Genuine thing...

Discuss the Creamware ASB and Klangbox hardware boxes

Moderators: valis, garyb

andyr1960

Comparing Prodyssey to the Genuine thing...

Post by andyr1960 »

Getting into the Prodyssey ASB in a big way... and loving it!
I have spent some time comparing it to my MkIII (Black and Orange) Oddy, and so far it's a pretty good emulation, but...

A couple of things niggle me - the portamento isn't right at all, the ASB is too "linear" ie. straight from one note to the next - my Oddy's portamento starts quickly and slows down as it reaches the new note (logarithmic?)... I wish I could describe it better than that, but I can't :(

The other thing is the ADSR sustain slider, on the genuine Oddy, if you play a sound that is set up to just use decay *then* raise the sustain slider, the sound fades back in... not working with the ASB.

The "ARP" filter is also slightly different - not sure what filter version the ASB is based on, but my Oddy has the last version (with the 12k bandwidth problem - I never bothered to get it fixed... just a couple of resistors to be replaced I think).

Apart from that, It's a superb bit of kit.
Anna Lüse

Post by Anna Lüse »

Congratulations - you are the owner of a collector's item. Only a handfull of Prodyssey ASBs have been built.

Anyone interested? Place your order now: http://www.just-music.de/item/creamware ... 12786.html
kybernaut_01

Post by kybernaut_01 »

Anna Lüse wrote: Congratulations - you are the owner of a collector's item. Only a handfull of Prodyssey ASBs have been built.
Why is that? Is it too "exotic" for the mainstream musician? Would a Jupiter-8 ASB do better?? :)
Anna Lüse

Post by Anna Lüse »

Le Bone

Post by Le Bone »

Anna Lüse wrote:Image

Congratulations - you are the owner of a collector's item. Only a handfull of Prodyssey ASBs have been built.

Anyone interested? Place your order now: http://www.just-music.de/item/creamware ... 12786.html
Hi I want to buy at this price, but website is in german. how do i proceed ass the english icon does not help.

what a bargain!

tony
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

Yeah the price is £650 in the UK, i can get a real Odyssey for that (i know a friend who is getting rid of a beaut condition one at that price).

How does the duophonic mode compare? Oh, all right i'll get my coat...
Anna Lüse

Post by Anna Lüse »

Le Bone wrote:Hi I want to buy at this price, but website is in german. how do i proceed ass the english icon does not help.

what a bargain!

tony
Contact details sent to you via pm.
andyr1960

Post by andyr1960 »

Mr Arkadin wrote:Yeah the price is £650 in the UK, i can get a real Odyssey for that (i know a friend who is getting rid of a beaut condition one at that price).

How does the duophonic mode compare? Oh, all right i'll get my coat...
Mmm, Duophonic mode - I can live without it on the ASB (12 voice poly...drool!!)

Seriously though, the duophonic mode on the Oddy is er... Yeuch! Play a nice fat detuned lead... then try playing the upper voice as a 3rd or 5th... Owww!!

I love my Oddy but the ASB is a great replacement (wish it had an A440 tone button!! - At least you Windows Editor users can double click the frequency knobs to instantly change the value to 64... A nice quick and easyway to tune up... Us Mac users don't have that yet!!

BTW... I got mine from the Thomann Cyber Store, only took 3 days to deliver to the UK, nice guys to deal with :D
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

Ordering from Germany i suppose you get a Euro-style adaptor, or can you specify?
Play a nice fat detuned lead... then try playing the upper voice as a 3rd or 5th... Owww!!
Yep, that's the sound i like :D .
andyr1960

Post by andyr1960 »

Mr Arkadin wrote:Ordering from Germany i suppose you get a Euro-style adaptor, or can you specify
No choice i'm afraid... 2 pin Euro PSU it is. I'm not using a 2 to 3 pin adaptor though... UK sockets have an internal cover that slides over the live and neutral contacts... If push down the cover with an ISOLATED tool the PSU slots into the socket nicely without all the wobble you get with an adaptor.

I take no resposibiliy if you try it and frazzle yourself :o
Le Bone

Post by Le Bone »

someone on this forum advised me to buy a 6 socket euro trailer from ebay. i bought 1 from ebay 4 about 7 pounds, fantastic, just popped a uk plug on the end. powers my asb and klangboxes with zero wobble! no frazzle.
Le Bone

Post by Le Bone »

Great service, well impressed. Device ordered Saturday and was delivered to uk in a few days.
DSP ADD!CT

Post by DSP ADD!CT »

ok so i saw this to late :cry: no more prodyssey asb's on their site.
was thinking bout getting a klangbox but for that price i wouldve got the asb.

so why are they selling this so cheap now? thomann is selling klangboxes for 325,- euro also. stock clearence?
Rex Sole

Post by Rex Sole »

Anna Lüse wrote:
Le Bone wrote:Hi I want to buy at this price, but website is in german. how do i proceed ass the english icon does not help.

what a bargain!

tony
Contact details sent to you via pm.
Like Le Bone, I've seen the prices on the ASBs and want to order from the UK... any chance I can get some contact info too so I don't have to learn German? :)
gregae

Post by gregae »

Anna Lüse wrote: Congratulations - you are the owner of a collector's item. Only a handfull of Prodyssey ASBs have been built.

Anna,

Why is it that only a 'handful' were built? Are you saying that the Prodyssey is already discontinued? It seems like it just went into production a few months ago. What about OS updates? Support?
Anna Lüse

Post by Anna Lüse »

Immanuel Kant: Die normative Kraft des Faktischen
DSP ADD!CT

Post by DSP ADD!CT »

lol anna at her best! :D
altho this will lead to more speculations.....
Tiitu

Post by Tiitu »

Apparently, this firm is not able to deliver at these prices. I have ordered and asked them twice without getting any response! Has anybody else succeeded?

Le Bone wrote:
Anna Lüse wrote:[img]
http://asb.creamware.de/images/Galerie3.jpg[/img]

Great service, well impressed. Device ordered Saturday and was delivered to uk in a few days.
Anna Lüse

Post by Anna Lüse »

As I told you, only a handful machines have been built.
You missed your chance - sold out.
Tiitu

Post by Tiitu »

But, I did order Pro-12. Is there the same problem?

Prodyssey is still available as a Klangbox:
http://www.just-music.de/item/creamware ... 13274.html
Last edited by Tiitu on Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.