Klangbox and Cubase 4 - Device Panels

Discuss the Creamware ASB and Klangbox hardware boxes

Moderators: valis, garyb

Le Bone

Klangbox and Cubase 4 - Device Panels

Post by Le Bone »

I have upgraded to Cubase 4 and plugged in my Klangbox all via USB (saves on wiring and midi merge units).

I can fire up the Klangbox Prodyssey editor and make edits etc fine. However If I then fire up Cubase the Klangbox editor hogs the USB driver and I am unable to play the Klangbox via/thu cubase.

I close down both programs and then fire up Cubase 4 in isolation and can then play the klangbox with no problem. If I then fire up the klangbox editor then it is locked out via Cubase 4 and I cannot edit!

So I have an either/or. I can either edit sounds via the editor OR play sounds via cubase. i.e. I cannot have it both ways. (I want my cake and want to eat it without using MIDI cables).

SO:

In Cubase 4 there are midi device panels. These allow the user to create effectively a Klangbox editor so that one can edit the sound whilst still in Cubase as the midi cc are all coming from Cubase.

Has anyone set one of these up for the Prodyssey? If not then I will setup the task of doing it myself and post the details here. Or if someone could even send me anything that may be useful for starting this it woudl be appreciated.

Not being able to use Cubase and edit sounds at the same time is a total pain, but I can see this should (theoretically) crack this little walnut.
AndreD

Post by AndreD »

...they will be ready within a few days!
Le Bone

Post by Le Bone »

AndreD wrote:...they will be ready within a few days!
AndreD - that would be most appreciated - many thanks - Tony
AndreD

Re: Klangbox and Cubase 4 - Device Panels

Post by AndreD »

Le Bone wrote:I have upgraded to Cubase 4 and plugged in my Klangbox all via USB (saves on wiring and midi merge units).

Not being able to use Cubase and edit sounds at the same time is a total pain, but I can see this should (theoretically) crack this little walnut.

...Just start prodyssey software first (USB), then cubase(MIDI)!
Works fine here..
Bare in mind, that you have to connect usb AND midi..
Le Bone

Post by Le Bone »

I see - you are just using the midi OUT from Cubase to IN of Klangbox just for Cubase, whereas the USB is for the editing connection. I was hoping to keep the number of daisy chained MIDI devices down by using USB in isolation.

But in theory the single usb cable and Cubase Device panel should still work!? I would prefer this method as I also have an ASB and this way I would have both almost as VST's (almost) within Cubase for when I am working purely on the DAW and cannot physically access my ASB. Plus recording edits/changes in the device (eg filter cut offs, resonance etc) all within Cubase without having to remember to also fire up the ASB/Klangbox editors first.

BTW the Prodyssey is Amazing and very, very, very versatile! It can sound Huge! Good set of banks in the presets, very impressed!
Last edited by Le Bone on Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bluescreen

Post by Bluescreen »

AndreD wrote:
Le Bone wrote:...Just start prodyssey software first (USB), then cubase(MIDI)!
Works fine here..
Depens on the driver of the midi interface.
Le Bone

Post by Le Bone »

Bluescreen wrote:
AndreD wrote:
Le Bone wrote:...Just start prodyssey software first (USB), then cubase(MIDI)!
Works fine here..
Depens on the driver of the midi interface.
Nothing to do with the midi interface. It all worked nicely in Cubase 2.2, but Cubase 4 locks the USB audio device to itself. Cubase 4 is a real pain.

At the moment I cannot even get it to work correctly if I use Cubase 4 for the USB and the ASB/klangbox editors using MIDI all at the same time. I can only use EITHER Cubase 4 or the editor, having to close each one down in turn before opening the other. Hence why using a Device Panel in Cubase would make everything so much easier as I can keep it all together in the same application. I wish I had bought a Prodyssey ASB rather than klangbox as I am finding it awkward editing noises!

I use a EWS88D midi interface which is fine if not a little old.
Bluescreen

Post by Bluescreen »

I still use SX 3 and have the same problem if I try to use both editor and Cubase via USB driver.
And it doesn't work if I use the midi driver of the EWS88D (hey, you have one too ? I thought I were the only owner of this ADAT card ;))

It does however work if I use a midi port of my Midex 8, because this one has a driver with multi application capabilities.

I don't know of course how this will work with Cubase 4. My copy should arrive by the end of the month.

Greets
Stefan
Le Bone

Post by Le Bone »

aha - there are two of us now!

The EWS88D is great for most things and latency is fairly low. For ADAT to my ddx3216 it is superb.

I have Cubase 4 which is not that clever. I can use my sx2.2 with USB controlling the ASB/Klangbox as long as I bring up the editor first.

I cannot get Cubase 4 to work with any combination of USB and Midi cables if I am using the editor.

I have a cubase sx3 to cubase 4 upgrade for sale on ebay as I won it in a competition.

I am really looking forward to using those device panels! Maybe I should just buy another midi port for my PC!
Le Bone

Post by Le Bone »

Bluescreen wrote:I still use SX 3 and have the same problem if I try to use both editor and Cubase via USB driver.
And it doesn't work if I use the midi driver of the EWS88D (hey, you have one too ? I thought I were the only owner of this ADAT card ;))

It does however work if I use a midi port of my Midex 8, because this one has a driver with multi application capabilities.

I don't know of course how this will work with Cubase 4. My copy should arrive by the end of the month.

Greets
Stefan
Thanks for the advice Stefan. I bought a MIDEX 8 on ebay and everything is now fine. I use USB for sound editing and midi through MIDEX 8 for Cubase for both my PRO-12 ASB and my Prodyssey Klangbox. I can even rename each of the midi ports to the devices that run on it, how cool is that?

I am looking forward to those Device panels as being able to control everything via MIDI within Cubase really will rock my boat and allow lot more control from my DAW.
Le Bone

Post by Le Bone »

Andre,

How are you doing on these? Can I test the Prodyssey or PRO-12?

Many thanks

Tony
dawman

Post by dawman »

I also am feverish to hear of these. I can't see purchasing any of these until I know I can have convenient editing.

BTW Andre, Thanks 4 All The Good Things You Did 4 Us,

P.S. Will these now be considered collectors items?
Le Bone

Post by Le Bone »

Don't get me wrong the editor provided is ok (when it is not crashing!), but it would be a zillion times more useful having it as a Cubase Device Panel .

It would therefore be almost like using a VST self contained within the DAW and allowing the realtime edits to be part of the recording Process. However you have the benefits of zero latency and no CPU overload.

Best of both worlds, softsynth that is a hardsynth.

The editor supplied is frustrating the hellout of me (crashes, various USB problems) and I am finding I am using the Klangbox less and less because of this and going to my other devices.

Korg Legacy have almost got it right. Hardware controller (superb) and a VST that sits in Cubase (or other DAW) where you can record the editing within the DAW, or use the hardware controller and watch the edits in the DAW. Only drawback is that it is softsynth and has therefore potential latency/cpu issues. I believe Roland have VST's for some of their hardware synths now.

The Device Panels (or VSTi's) would put the Klangbox/ASB in with the Big Boys where they belong!
Le Bone

Post by Le Bone »

Still awaiting an email/message from AndreD. He seems to have gone into Radio Silence and not responding to my messages or emails.

Seems such a shame after they were promised in November! I am now thinking of getting rid of the klangbox as it is virtually useless without a DAW compliant editor.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Too bad, I wanted to buy a few of those little beauties too. Is Andre still on the CW payroll, maybe he went to India w/ inDSP. :o
I hope someone else can finish what he started, as he has got me interested in this, but I can always use Cubase 4 for something other than 1U uneditable synth racks.
:roll:
Anna Lüse

Post by Anna Lüse »

[img]http://www.faz.net/m/{CB4C5663-07B9-4C0 ... cture.jpeg[/img]
Wer zu spät kommt, den bestraft das Leben.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Is that Andre w/ Gorbechov ? Maybe Gorby uses SFP.
next to nothing

Post by next to nothing »

Soviet Former President?
dawman

Post by dawman »

Yepp, that be him. He still wears the upside down Playboy tatoo that he got visiting a local brothel here in Las Vegas. But I'm still wondering if he is kissing Andre farewell, or welcoming him into Russia w/ stolen secrets like the CUBASE DEVICE PANELS. I am worried as he seems to be MIA. Now that the German government is paying their salaries, they can take long vacations w/o fear of being fired, or look for other employment while being paid. A German version of Welfare w/o the Schwarze's from the Schwarzvalder.
dawman

Post by dawman »

:-?