Minimax ASB --- zipper noise on Contour Amount?

Discuss the Creamware ASB and Klangbox hardware boxes

Moderators: valis, garyb

kkonkkrete

Minimax ASB --- zipper noise on Contour Amount?

Post by kkonkkrete »

Thinking about getting a Minimax ASB, but then read in a harmony central review that you can hear zipper noise from the Contour Amount knob. Is that still a problem with OS 2.0, or is it fixed now?

Are there any other sources of unwanted noise?

Thanks,
Kkonkkrete
fx1mark

Post by fx1mark »

here is the description of the 2.0 .O.S. update.
the minimax displays no unwanted noise at all.
I personally didn't even notice the zipping noise before,
It was barely audible.

improvements of new DSP software version MINIMAX_ASB_OS_2_00.
1. Important controllers are dezipped, so that no noise is produced,
while changing these controllers:
Volume
Device Volume
OSC1 Volume
OSC2 Volume
OSC3 Volume
External Volume
Cutoff frequency
Amount of contour

2. Overload LED is now glowing, when an overload is produced in the
internal DSP feedback circuit.
3. Feedback level is increased, so that even whith a single voice a
feedback sound is possible.
4. On sounds with long Decay, new notes can always be triggered.
Your CreamWare Audio Team
kkonkkrete

Post by kkonkkrete »

Now I own one I can answer my own post.

If you turn the resonance to about 7 you can hear zipper noise on extremely slow Cut-off changes. It's subtle, and actually not totally unpleasant, but in a sparse mix you can definitely hear it (minimal techno). I suppose most synth performers don't turn the knobs as slowly as I do.

I also get some very occasional random pops or clicks when I turn knobs.

Overall an excellent machine, though.
fx1mark

Post by fx1mark »

are you running O.S. 2.0?
kkonkkrete

Post by kkonkkrete »

I think so. It's a brand new machine, just shipped direct from Creamware. The overload light works, so I guess it is 2.0. Do you know if there is any way to find out?

I think the zipper noise is just an inevitable consequence of having a 7-bit encoder on the front panel. No matter how much they slew the encoder data to whatever their internal resolution is, the system eventually has to settle on a value between 0 and 127. If they slew too much then they won't be able to handle rapid knob changes. So if you turn the knob really slowly, then I think you will always end up with some quantization. Is this right, or am I confused, anyone?

But as I said --- it is REALLY subtle. I mean, I was looking for it, and I managed to find it. It happens on all my MIDI-era hardware synths, so this is no criticism. I now think I should probably have asked how the front-panel represents the values, rather than asking if it is possible to hear any noise....
fx1mark

Post by fx1mark »

If your'e overload light is coming on then it's 2.0.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Brotha' Man fx1mark,
Honestly speaking. I would love to see a B2003 Klangbox w/ the ability to use Cubase 4 device panels by Andre D., and use the C controllers ( drawbars / sliders reverted ) on my KS88. Could this also be used w/o zippering ? I only like zippers that I undo. I find that most tape delay plugs in CW are basically killed by this zipper shit. Thats why I use hardware still for that effect, and reverse. I bet reverse really gets the old zippers going eh? Even my Pryme Tyme plug artifacts when moving the virtual ARP Odyssey looking sliders.
fx1mark

Post by fx1mark »

Jimmy, I am no expert and certainly can't answer your question. maybe someone from creamware can. Can someone here with a B4000 tell us if it has a zippering problem?
kkonkkrete, I reproduced the zippering sound you were describing. I turned off osc 2 and 3 and right at the point where the filter begins to self oscillate i can hear it. I can also turn the cutoff at that point and hear it also.
by the way i checked some of my other synths and my virus B has polyphonic glide.
kkonkkrete

Post by kkonkkrete »

fx1mark wrote:by the way i checked some of my other synths and my virus B has polyphonic glide.
That's true. And I see the Nord 3 has it too. How does it sound? If you press two keys and then another two, how does it work out which note glides to which one? I suppose it must use first note priority (i.e. each new note takes its glide's origin from the order in which previously pressed notes were pressed). And it probably only works with legato playing, as otherwise the machine would have to keep track of the order in which notes were pressed even after the MIDI note off signal.
fx1mark

Post by fx1mark »

Turns out my waldorf microQ has poly glide also. with just a little glide it kinda sounds like a pitch envelope is applied with a little randomization. of course with with more glide it gets kind of crazy. I don't know how it picks which notes to glide but i would say your'e theory is probably correct.