Regarding ASB and klangbox

Discuss the Creamware ASB and Klangbox hardware boxes

Moderators: valis, garyb

music251

Post by music251 »

Hi!

I'm thinking of buying a Minimax ASB or klangbox for live purposes - and I'm wondering about patch changes. Do they happen instantaniously or is there a delay - I need something that reacts quickly...

Will the klangbox work as an ASB, only having the plugin on an computer as the controller? Can only one plugin be loaded at once? In that case, how can I change patches from a midikeyboard like say CME UF7 or VX7?
Thanks!

Btw, has all the bugs been fixed?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: music251 on 2006-09-21 05:55 ]</font>
Anna Lüse

Post by Anna Lüse »

As a MIDI-controlled sound-expander in a very traditional sense, the Klangbox has nothing to do with plug-ins what soever.
It changes its sound immediately as soon as it receives a MIDI program-change.
In addition to that, all its sound parameters can be played in realtime via MIDI control-changes.
Le Bone

Post by Le Bone »

On the PRO-12 ASB you cannot run the windows ASB editor and Cubase SX2 at the same time. It just does not work! This is fine for the ASB which has knobs on!

The Klangbox would need to have some sort of editor to control the box whilst in Cubase in an almost VST manner but with the CC's being sent back to the hardware. Otherwise it is going to be a knightmare to record control changes or even edit patches whilst using Cubase etc.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Le Bone on 2006-09-21 07:41 ]</font>
Anna Lüse

Post by Anna Lüse »

Ralf did it.
Le Bone

Post by Le Bone »

They (the ASB editor and SX2) were mutually exclusive under Version 1 of your software as the editor seemed to lock out the USB connection.

I will retry using the ASB Version 2 software under SX2 and see if I still have the same problems. But this fix was not listed in the applied fixes so I have not tried it since upgrading. The fixed PRO-12 rocks!

I use the USB connection and NOT the MIDI connection to the USB for my DAW.

The klangbox CANNOT afford to not have an editor that does not work under SX (via USB) as it will be unusable.
Anna Lüse

Post by Anna Lüse »

As far as I remember, Ralf used the MIDI-out of the editor in Cubase.
Creamware will have an instruction sheet how to work in specific situations.
Le Bone

Post by Le Bone »

That explains it. The MIDI method caused too many wiring problms in my studio and limited my flexibility as a whole. MIDI is a pain as I have to use multiple midi thru boxes, daisy chaining of MIDI, use MIDI Merg Boxes for combining data and eventually end up with timing issues. This is not pratical.

When not using the PC I plug in the Midi to the ASB from my master keyboard. That is the only time I would contemplate using MIDI.

Using USB was a major point in me purchasing my ASB device and the same would apply for a Klangbox. MIDI requires far too many wires and other boxes which are used for my other equipment!

The Klangbox would need to work via USB with the editor still being active within a DAW application. Otherwise I could not purchase it as I could not use it!

I have not seen such a description, but would suggest revising the editor so that it does not hog the USB connection or even do it via a VST instrument type interafce that just sends MIDI messages.
Le Bone

Post by Le Bone »

Just Tested on the V2 editor:

"Error opening In Device."

Reslect the appropriate USB driver and get :

"Opening MIDI IN failed."

The editor is completely useless when using USB whilst in Cubase. Ok for an ASB device as can edit using the knobs. Not workable for the Klangbox!

Creamware either need to get this right or remove USB from the Klangbox and go the old hat MIDI method which means more wires etc. (not as old hat as my cv/gate kit)
Anna Lüse

Post by Anna Lüse »

Playing the Klangbox via a MIDI Keyboard and controlling the sound-parameters via the Remote Control Software at the same time works perfectly. That's the idea behind the product.
Le Bone

Post by Le Bone »

But the usb should work the same way but using only one wire. otherwise should not have usb as it is faulty. it should say to not use usb in marketting and instruction manual.

a faulty usb on the klangbox (as per asb) would stop me purchasing the klangbox period. fully working usb is a major selling point in a large (15+ midi device) studio.
music251

Post by music251 »

Thanks for the info.
I guess I'll go for the ASB version of minimax anyway, as I need the knobs for live use.

Still, you haven't answered my questions, if the patch changes are instantanious, and if the minimax asb is bugfree now.
that would be appreciated!
Thanks!
Anna Lüse

Post by Anna Lüse »

1. see above:
"It changes its sound immediately as soon as it receives a MIDI program-change."

2. NEWS at CreamWare:
Updates for Minimax ASB and Pro-12 ASB

Getting even better?? You bet - there is new remote control software and new firmware online for both ASB products. Download from the ASB Web Site under "Minimax - Software" and "Pro-12 - Software"...

source: CreamWare homepage
music251

Post by music251 »

Sorry, I didn't read your posts carefully enough. Thanks Anne!
Le Bone

Post by Le Bone »

It is now the time for me to eat Humble Pie.... Munch, munch, munch......:roll:

Dirk from Creamware emailed me after reading my post regarding ASB editor/Cubase to say, "had I tried opening the ASB editor first and then open up Cubase".

I tried it and it works. This is fine and totally workable. It just does not work if you open Cubase first, which is not a problem. :grin:

I would like to mention that Dirk emailed me on a Sunday evening after reading Planetz.

WOW, how many companies provide this level of support? Not many. :cool:

Many thanks to Dirk and Anna for sorting me out!

Munch, munch.................Nice Pie!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Le Bone on 2006-09-25 01:19 ]</font>
diminu

Post by diminu »

Hi all,
btw. Dirk and Anna are the same person. It´s Mr. Dirk Matten, a very well known person in the synthesizer scene and great fan of KRAFTWERK. Anna Lüse is very well known here in Germany from different user forums.
cheers
diminu
Otto_Tomek

Post by Otto_Tomek »

Last edited by Otto_Tomek on Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Le Bone

Post by Le Bone »

On 2006-09-25 04:18, diminu wrote:
Hi all,
btw. Dirk and Anna are the same person. It´s Mr. Dirk Matten, a very well known person in the synthesizer scene and great fan of KRAFTWERK. Anna Lüse is very well known here in Germany from different user forums.
cheers
diminu
mmmmmmm Anna and Dirk being the same person - not convinced.....

If they are, it is the first time I have found someone called "Dirk" attractive.

Both Anna and Dirk work for the same company and I think that is were the connection stops. But that is a guess! Looking up on Dirk I have found this picture.

http://www.elektropolis.de/ssb_kontakt1.htm

I am sorry but I am not attracted to this picture (no offense Dirk, I just prefer the ladies!), and am not convinced the are the same person. However Dirk has been very helpful and for that I say thankyou...

I believe they are two very different people...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Le Bone on 2006-09-25 08:00 ]</font>
EricNS

Post by EricNS »

On 2006-09-25 07:57, Le Bone wrote:
I believe they are two very different people...
If it makes you feel better, why not?

I can change my username to Erica, if you want...

Cheers!
Anna Lüse

Post by Anna Lüse »

Le Bone

Post by Le Bone »

On 2006-09-25 09:10, EricNS wrote:

If it makes you feel better, why not?

I can change my username to Erica, if you want...

Cheers!
Thanks for that Erica..It would make me feel alot better thanks. :wink: Would that make me Bonio (a dog food in the UK - not to be confused with the lead singer of U2)?

Christine Keeler was very hot in the 1960's. :grin: Shame I cannot read any of the webpage as my German is terrible!

tchews!

le Bonio