ASB rack?

Discuss the Creamware ASB and Klangbox hardware boxes

Moderators: valis, garyb

next to nothing

Post by next to nothing »

to all of you who are concerned about the looks....

its a 1U, fill-your-needs device. no more, no less. i DO miss +- buttons and a LED display (for presets and sys messages, so u know the unit is reacting), but concerning looks ITS A 1U RACK MOUNT INSTRUMENT, not Studio BlingBling.

I guess its designed for laptop live setups, and fill that need perfectly (minus the LED)
Anna Lüse

Post by Anna Lüse »

It's as pure as possible for the best price.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Creamware has finally revealed it's secret weapon in a 1U rack. I am glad I didn't purchase an ASB now. As they were designed 4 desktop use, more than live applications, as most performers use their controllers located close to the keys. This is an ingenius way to continue to create sales off of the same great sounds created in previous designs. I'm sure that the consumer electronics market can now enter the fray at a cheap buy in price.

My little Hussy band has grown into a full time production which evolves at an alarming rate. It started with already sequenced songs from the disco days using my ancient but incredibly reliable Yamaha QX-1, DMP-7, TX-816 and PCM 70 which is bussed through the third AUX. I now have sought out Ollie from DAS 4 a custom FOH / Monitor DAW which will be used with 5 Ultimate Ears wireless ear monitors which allows these Hussies to dance freely on stage w/o tripping over wedges and such. As this production keeps me from being in two places at once, I thought a simple knowledgable maintenance man could run the rig and let the stagehands do lights and levels only on their main FOH mixer. As I detest them mixing generically and adding random reverbs when they experiment with the sound. I absolutely hate that as most of them are tweakers ( Methamphetamines ) with no knowledge of mixing other than Unity gain ( yawn !! )

I made a mistake by letting the little tramps into my graveyard gig to hear Kyma and SFP thrashing the public, and of course like the brats that they are, they must have my synths in their show. Well it looks like Creamware to the rescue again. I will build a compact 6U design using 4 Kling-ons and a 2U DAW using a 3 slot riser card 4 2 x PCI DSP cards, and 1 x 16x PCI-e 4 graphics card. This will allow the hardware sequencer to run as back up while the DAW can use a simple but effective VST host like the well thought out EnergyXT. This should keep the hussies happy as they now wish to rule the world, and are a constant source of irratation. But they sing and dance quite well, and will be able to promote my collaborations better than I can. After all, in Las Vegas it's all about the trim, and cash.

Congradulations to the sneaky bastards at Creamware for opening my wallet once again. As long as more comes in than goes out, I will be happy. I am so grateful for not having to work with singers, as their egos annoy me. It is bad enough just hearing them whine at a sound check. When I haven't seen them 4 a couple of days they fill my answering machine up with idiotic questions until I make an appearance, where I am attacked, and driven to the brink of insanity as they all try to speak at once.

I need to know which models will be available and when so I can get my first SFP DAW back from these entertainers.

So Anna, my lovely DSP babe. Please give me a heads up on the details. And you know There will never be another you. And congradulations on a design that will sell remarkably well as I must have these. I should be able to promote these little beauties for thousands of people monthly that flock to their gigs. The numbskull keyboard players that work here will now actually buy something to sound better. The only thing that will keep me unique sounding will be the 45 DSP's that allow Solaris to evolve into the future, as within a couple of years everyone will be using Creamware synths here. Once again John Bowen is to be thanked for a lifetime of devotion to his designs which will allow me to stand out in the crowd.

Life Is Great,
Le Bone

Post by Le Bone »

On 2006-09-18 19:40, piddi wrote:
to all of you who are concerned about the looks....

its a 1U, fill-your-needs device. no more, no less. i DO miss +- buttons and a LED display (for presets and sys messages, so u know the unit is reacting), but concerning looks ITS A 1U RACK MOUNT INSTRUMENT, not Studio BlingBling.

I guess its designed for laptop live setups, and fill that need perfectly (minus the LED)
Yep you are totally right. Just after the beauty of my PRO-12 I see a rack unit and my small brain cannot comprehend what has happened. I like to tweak and hate doing it via a mouse, so for me the ASB is the right weapon of choice. However for those who play live sticking something like this in a rack is a godsend. Horses for courses....

Well done to Creamware.
bill3107

Post by bill3107 »

i hate the sticker, but it is true that for the price, it's a cool idea for gigs !
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

Any release date ???

I guess these are planned for Christmas...

I hope this units are just the first of a complete new range of solution.

I think this is a clever industrial solution as I guess the core engine of all the KlangBox and ASB is basically the same...

This would also help to release new devices with "only" software developpement without the need for designing special user interface hardware .

Sounds like all the elements for a synth success story:
- 2002 NOAH
- 2005: MINIMAX and PRO-12 ASB
- 2006: B4000 and PRODYSSEY ASB
... and now all 4 units available as cheap priced blind 1 U Racks
- dream for 2007:
=> A SOLARIS Klangbox
=> VECTRON Klangbox
=> PRO-ONE Klangbox
=> MODULAR II + FLEXOR KLANGBOX
=> a 4 slot multitimbral free upgrade for the full range of ASB and KlangBoxes
=> brand new synths using this hadrware
=> RELEASE OF A KLANGBOX SDK ... and migration from all the developper working with the former soundarts CHAMELEON to this new platform ( http://www.chameleon.synth.net/english/index.shtml ) with the ENTITY II, MONOWAVE III, FAZE-2, PHOENIX II ... while John Bowen, Mehdi and many other are releasing a subset of their range of synth on that platform ...
=> Many companies decided to move to that platform in parallel to their "native" software developpement (NATIVE INSTRUMENT, ARTURIA, LINPLUG, ...) while a few "small" hardware manufacturers finally decide to also take licences of this units for their own production (WALDORF, CLAVIA, NOVATION, ACCESS ...).
=> CW announce a DSP upgrade board to further enhance their units...

:wink:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HUROLURA on 2006-09-19 04:33 ]</font>
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

What are the use of the yellow and blue LED ???
Anna Lüse

Post by Anna Lüse »

1. soon
2. yellow -> power
3. blue -> MIDI

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Anna Lüse on 2006-09-19 04:37 ]</font>
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

What does soon mean (1 week, 1 month, 1 year, 1 decade ???)

LEDS: Great as essential features.

What about the back of the rack (are inputs and outputs just the same as on the ASB) ?

How much of these units would we be able to run on the same PC/MAC ?

CheerZ
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

What about my dream for year 2007 ???
bill3107

Post by bill3107 »

as for the official release, stay patient guys... we all know it takes time to remove a sticker from thousand iron racks... :wink:
Hope that picture (remember that's not the official picture right?) is not the "final cut".

I just think that, as no shop sells it by now and as there is no official annoucement from Creamware, it is just the prototype. Just hope the real one will offer a better design. That's very important when it comes to music gear...

Jo

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: bill3107 on 2006-09-19 08:06 ]</font>
spacef

Post by spacef »

On 2006-09-18 09:36, Le Bone wrote:
It looks terrible. Looks like it should be in a ToysRUs Sale!
it's true that the logo sticker is not very impressive. a simple small "Prodissey" printed just above the blue led in font 12 would be better :smile: (in my opinion)

minimal design can be cool here

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: spacef on 2006-09-19 09:12 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: spacef on 2006-09-19 09:13 ]</font>
Le Bone

Post by Le Bone »

Agreed, a small enamelled logo on a black hammered effect plate would look stunning!

It was not until later (after reading other posts) I realised the yellow and blue dots were in fact LEDS. I initially thought they were coloured dots on the sticker!

The use of the blue MIDI LED is a very good move, especially I initially thought there would be "nowt" for the user to see!

Maybe I should buy one and get my Hammerite out, give it that black hammered look that would look sexy with a blue and yellow LED!

The price looks very appetising indeed!
King of Snake

Post by King of Snake »

I'll hold out on commenting on the design until i see some official pictures + announcement :smile:
hifiboom

Post by hifiboom »

I really ask myself if this is a step forward or back for Creamware...??

I mean, long time ago they build a modular soundcard system with the flexibility to beat everything on the market ...

Instead of upgarding this system, they are building boxes without knobs and keyboard
:lol:

they are in no way modular or something like this...

I`m not saying that these boxes sound bad, sure they sound good.
And sure they have a good price...

But CW should find their way back to their roots.
I mean just one of these Klangboxes has the Power of 1,5 Scope Project cards...
And I don`t think the chips are what makes the box that expensive. (Its the know how and the development, that you pay)

So a Klangbox with 8 x the power would be possible, add the best scope mixer, and some of the most important high-quality fx (Reverb, Compressor, delay, high-quality EQ)
+ these 4 synths that are already ported.
And ready is your start for ScopeII.

They could upgrade the other plug-ins step by step if that is what is so hard...

By the way: what about putting their mixer into a digital mixing console ASB....

haha

So you would have ported the mixer to the new chips...
:smile:

I think there really doesn`t have to be ported every plug-in to a Scope II:

- who needs a dynamic mixer, when there is really much processing power to run the biggest mixer without problems?

-who needs a standrd compressor, if he can load many Vincos and so on

-I think we could also live without the older synth at first

Anna Lüse should analyse this....
:smile:

no offense at all, just my opinion, you know I love my Scope.

By the way: there is already an ASB guitar, so no need to build this:
http://www.thomann.de/de/esp_ltd_ec1000_fm_asb.htm
:lol:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hifiboom on 2006-09-19 14:15 ]</font>
wayne

Post by wayne »

I like the fiery mouse grey :smile:
Anna Lüse

Post by Anna Lüse »

Hello Mr. hifiboom,

it's a step towards people who can't afford the desktop-line of ASBs, but should not miss the "good sound".

Maschinen für das Volk!
bosone

Post by bosone »

this klangbox looks nice but, come on! i can buy a 2x16 LCD display for 5 euro... ADD IT! one, in a live stage, MUST know what patch he is playing!!!!!! :smile:
Anna Lüse

Post by Anna Lüse »

Get organised in any situation by a masterkeyboard.
The price of a single electronic unit does not make the price. You have to mount it on a board, add some extra components, have knobs/switches to work with it, have a software, mount it into the unit, (sorry, but add profit for the manufacturer, the distributor, the dealer) ... the world is so bad.
bosone

Post by bosone »

you are absolutely right, anyway i don't know how many synth-rack unit exist without even a lcd display.. i think you understimate the importance for the musician of having at least some basic information about what is happening inside the box! :smile: