What ASB Would you like to see next?

Discuss the Creamware ASB and Klangbox hardware boxes

Moderators: valis, garyb

SekondThought

Post by SekondThought »

Seeing some other posts where people are saying what they'd like to see Creamware make next, I thought I'd add my own ideas and wishes on what I'd personally like to see.

1. I'd like the Pro-One (ProTone) to be made into an ASB box. Sure, I know we have the Pro-12, so I doubt they'll ever do it, but I had an original many years ago and I'd love one with memories, MIDI and effects.

2. The Korg 800DV is a great synth and very hard to find and something that would be great as an ASB. So would the Mono/Poly.

3. Another classic synth maker (that still gets overlooked, even for software plugins) that's synth's would make great ASB's would be Oberheim. An OB-1 ASB would be a great collection to anyones setup.

4. Roland...ther are a lot of Roland's that would make great ASB's...SH-101, SH-5 and the synth expander from the System 100, the Model-102. It would be so good to have that classic 70's Roland sound right there on your desktop with MIDI and effects.

Can anyone think of anymore?
SekondThought
dawman

Post by dawman »

Oberheim is a must. I have many, and though I can achieve the sound through Solaris, it comes at a heavy DSP cost.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: scope4live on 2006-04-30 14:04 ]</font>
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

From the plugin list already available for scope I would let them first provide the ones they already release for NOAH (looks mainly as migrating code and user hardware front panel design) before designing new plugin. As Minimax, Prophet 5, B4000 and Prodyssey are already released or announced they still can release:
- Pro-One
- Vectron
- LightWave

Ralf also mentioned somewhere a secret project about a waldorf wave clone.

Would much appreciate a Solaris ASB though.
What do you think about it John ?
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

Why real dream would be a Modular III with Flexor inside as a blackbox (just as what provide the G2 engine from Clavia).

Just think about it: a modular ASB !!!
dawman

Post by dawman »

This would require more than the 2 x SHARC 200MHz DSP model currently in use. I believe that JB is going to shock us all with an Oberheim XPander sized DSP box w/ 4 x SHARCS and slots to upgrade to 8 DSP's. Based on Solaris, or QWave of course. CWA isn't the only game in town. Ask JB about Musik Messe this year in Deutschland, everyone wants to do out of the box " boxes " now. Since CWA isn't going to make cards anymore, but ASB's instead, I will enjoy the competition between rivalries. Bring back those AMD vrs. Intel days of the '90's when PII's had to drop their prices from 1k for a 1GHz Coppermine to about 400 USD thanks to AMD. I'm sure JB knows that he has to come up with more than emu's like CWA does. They are all just getting their feet wet now.
alfonso

Post by alfonso »

Even if not a modular immediatly, I'd suggest a FleXor Synth. It would be something new and an unbeatable sound aswell, it wouldn't pass unnoticed.
nprime

Post by nprime »

Yamaha CS80.
Janni

Post by Janni »

imagine: ASB MIX 16-I/O Digital Mixer
why not combine ASB, STM, FX and A16
just without routing.
RAM for 2 Delays and 2 Reverbs as Stereo AUXs would be enough for live mixing ...
just dreaming ...
Greetings,
Jan
johnbowen

Post by johnbowen »

On 2006-04-30 14:02, FRA59-HELP wrote:

...Would much appreciate a Solaris ASB though.
What do you think about it John ?
Please see my post on this page:
http://www.planetz.com/forums/viewtopic ... t=0#142781
john bowen
bowen synth design
zarg music
Lima

Post by Lima »

Cs-80 for me too. I dream its HUGE panel... :smile:
ChrisWerner

Post by ChrisWerner »

I vote for a CS-80 clone ,too.
Would be nice to have one.
Please don´t forget the fans.
SekondThought

Post by SekondThought »

Hmm...a modular ASB...

An ARP 2600 would be great. There aren't that many good examples around these days and to have a new one in the guise of an ASB would be great! How about the RSF Kobol? That was a cool little synth with some great sounds and you don't see too many of them these days either.

You all have some great ideas! :grin:
SekondThought
tripstation

Post by tripstation »

Roland Jupiter 8.
Also stand alone hardware controllers for the DSP cards,
regards,
Jimi.
Asus PC-DL delux
Winxp Pro sp1
Nuendo 3 / mLAN
Gigastudio3
Native Instuments Komplete 2
2*xeon 3.06ghz
2gig ram
wd raptor 74gig system
wd raptor 74gig audio
Scope pro 30dsp (stand alone pc Asus P4GPL-X, Win XP sp1)
<BR
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

My vote would go to a multitimbral generic ASB much like the Noah in performance capabilities & I/O spec (ADAT, WC etc) but with the addition of z-link or firewire, full integration into SFP routing via a new dedicated I/O module. It would be a desktop unit with a free SDK, more assignable realtime control knobs & the ability to run ANY Scope devices currently available that come under the standalone synth or FX catagories. That way we'd have an eternal hardware Scope box.

..Dream on I hear you say :cool:

An additional thought is that such a machine would be georgeous in a chunky, robust titanium laptop design.. no, I'm going mad.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shroomz on 2006-05-01 06:23 ]</font>
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

Would be the best idea I think Shroomz as then we would have everything available and just have to choose which plug-in we want (it could be named NOAH 2 or ASB engine).

I do have a NOAH EX (up to 4 device simulaneously) which I think is already a great device. If you can load any scope range plug-in... this would be really flexible.

And then, the modular+flexor can be achieved...

The good thing would be a 4 DSP 150 MHz solution with place for 1 other 4 DSP expansion board and the ability to chain such devices (just as what you can do with scope boards).
SekondThought

Post by SekondThought »

Yeah, it's a good idea, but that's more for the people who like the concept of Noah, which I personally wouldn't buy.

Do-it-all boxes just don't do it for me. They aren't the same as dedicated modules like the ASB with controls that replicate the historic synths they are copying, which is far better (especially if you have owned some of the originals at one time, as I have), as you know where everything is, almost without looking.

Another great ASB would be the Synton Syrinx. I love that synth, there's so much that you can get out of it. Then again, the Polyvox would lend itself well to the ASB treatment as would the Oberheim 2-Voice. I know Analogue Solutions make the Semblance module, but it's only one SEM, it has no effects and no memories (though it is real analogue).
SekondThought
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

The all in one concept could be something to provide solution for people looking for sound engine rather than control surface.
This is true that ASB box are a great concept as they provide surface control and sound engine.

But the sound engine would be the same. And then you can get some dedicated module with dedicated plug-in as standard ASB box.

The NOAH ASB concept could be another range of solution for different customer but using the same technology.

ASB only miss some multimbral capabilities and polyphony extension capability.

As long as the technology inside is the same, a NOAH ASB concept would be another mean to earn money for creamware and give them capabilities to offer more and more full featured ASB models (including control surface).

Last but not least, I do not really know how they could provide a control surface for modular... NOAH ASB or ELEKTRA ASB would be a solution meanwhile.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: FRA59-HELP on 2006-05-01 09:58 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: FRA59-HELP on 2006-05-01 14:30 ]</font>
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

Just remind that ASB acronym stand for Authentic Sound Box. The should only be used for old synth rebirth.

Releasing a Pro-One ASB shouldn't be that much work as the software algorytjm are already available for both scope and NOAH and the front panel is not that much different from the Pro-12.

Looking back, then the following device could be from the already available scope range:
- VECTRON as a Prophet VS rebirth
- UKNOW007 as a Alpha Juno rebirth (am I right ?)
- SATURN as a Jupiter 6 rebirth
- A Wave emulation as the Waldorf Oscillator is available.

Other great device would be:
- Oscar ASB
- Syrinx ASB
- Polykobol ASB !!!

But other device from the scope range could be also great even if they never existed as hardware stuff:
- POISON
- LIGHTWAVE
- BLUESYNTH
- FM 4
- SIXSTRING
- SOLARIS

What would be great would be if creamware could provide 3rd party with an ASB developpement platform:
- DSP board + software platform (SDK)
- Control panel board subset in the spirit of what Doepfer provide from their MIDI control surfaces.

I would try to get such things

Will stop dreaming and go to sleep. Bye.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: FRA59-HELP on 2006-05-01 15:04 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: FRA59-HELP on 2006-05-05 15:33 ]</font>
SekondThought

Post by SekondThought »

Something else I've been thinking about is what about an ASB drum machine? An 808 or 909 maybe, or something a little bit more unusual.

There must be a growing market for classic drum machines as well as classic synths. I've recently bought a Korg Electribe ER-1 Mk2 (for a very cheap price as they've been discontinued), to try an fill a gap in my setup, but it still hasn't really as it's not got 100% of the sound I'm after. I think Creamware would do a fantastic ASB drum machine, what do you think?
SekondThought
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

A drum machine would be 1st class, but I'd like it to be able to load multiple sequencers, a mixer, EDS16i, a vocodizer, interpole, mini sample player & FX etc for maximum percussion madness :smile:

Also, I don't think there's any chance that Creamware would be allowed to make Roland drum machine clones as accurate ones. Roland have seemingly always been sharp in the legal department & I doubt CW would spend a fortune on the rights to clone the 808 & 909. I'd imagine the last thing they need are lawsuits.