Minimax DOA

Discuss the Creamware ASB and Klangbox hardware boxes

Moderators: valis, garyb

Zurich

Post by Zurich »

I got my Minimax a few days ago, upon booting it up, i noticed it says "E1" on the display, and makes no sound when played via midi.

I loaded the OSX control software and could not get it to connect via USB either. It would connect to the minimax VIA midi, but still not sound.

So I emailed Ralf for a activation code to update the OS, and received the code last night. I got control to recognize the unit over midi, and saw it had version 1.00 and saw the serial number populate in the serial number box, I downloaded the latest OS from the website, and began the process of loading the new OS. I put in the code from Ralf (all caps), selected the OS file I had downloaded, and hit write. after about 5-10 seconds, the file stops writing, i can see midi activity on my Unitor MKII stop on the Minimax port, and it just sits there.

Does anyone know if there is a hard reset, or a way to flash the OS without using the control software? i have a bad feeling this unit is shot, but I thought I would ask here.
Matt
The Boombox United
www.boomboxunited.com
next to nothing

Post by next to nothing »

did you try to unplug the unitor while upgrading? as far as i know the unitor is a USB device as well, maybe its causing the upgrade to halt? i mean, since the unitor recieves a signal my guess will be that the ASB software Gives a message to this unit, thinking that it is a scope unit, then waits for a response. Unitor Probably has no clue what creamware is talking about, and refuses to give feedback, resulting in a unfinished installation.

Just an educated gueess, but worth a try anyway.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: piddi on 2006-03-09 20:20 ]</font>
Zurich

Post by Zurich »

Thanks for the response. I did infact try with everything USB unplugged, but the ASB Control software still will not see the MINIMAX connected via USB.

HOWEVER - my MAC sees the MINIMAX as it shows up in my audio/midi setup in OSX as a midi interface.

The only way I can even attempt to load the OS, is via midi connection to the Minimax, and then of course it fails. I can load OS's no problem on my Access, Nord, and Waldorf synths, but the Creamware box is just rejecting it.

Per the instruction of the US Distributor, I tried on a Windows XP SP2 machine, but could also not get the control software to see the Minimax.

And, the unit is still not making a single sound, even when scrolling through presets, and seeing the knob turns in the control software when I turn the hardware knobs (via midi). I am using the same audio leads from my Virus TI and sound is coming via the TI no problem, so I have ruled out pilot error.

Does anyone know what E1 means? Error 1? Does anyone else see E1 when their machine boots? The distributer had never even heard of this, which makes me wonder if it is maybe a flash error.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zurich on 2006-03-09 21:12 ]</font>
garyb

Post by garyb »

did you install the driver before trying to use the software? it may indeed be a flash problem, but that might be fixed if you can get the software working and update the os.
Zurich

Post by Zurich »

On the Mac, I just installed the Minimax software from the FTP site.

On the PC, I installed the driver, then the control software. When I open the control software and look at prefs - under Midi In and Midi Out it says "No device Available" and there are a lot of blank slots in the drop down. Nothing to select.

I admit - I am not a PC guru. I have Apple blood pumping in my veins, but I am not a fool either. USB not working on either platform cannot be chance.

Thanks for the reply!
Matt
The Boombox United
www.boomboxunited.com
garyb

Post by garyb »

i didn't think you a fool, but either way, there's a little more than the software and asking that question is the first step. it sounds like the os flash failed. that might be from a problem with the minimax itself or just a bad series of events. still, you seem to be seeing the unit thru midi so it doesn't seem to be dead...i think there's something missed, i'm just not sure what. sorry.
Zurich

Post by Zurich »

Ok - the lovely German's got me back up and running again. My Minimax is fine, and I am looking forward to a nice weekend of wicked synth tones.

In a nutshell, don't use the Mac Beta to transfer OS dumps to the Minimax.

In the end, my XP machine (I knew it would earn its keep someday) and a Virus TI acting as a midi interface got my Minimax back on its feet with a proper OS load.

Whew......
Matt
The Boombox United
www.boomboxunited.com
Shayne White

Post by Shayne White »

I hope they're going to fix the Mac version??

Glad to see that everything's working again. :smile:

Shayne
Melodious Synth Radio
http://www.melodious-synth.com

Melodious synth music by Binary Sea
http://www.binary-sea.com
garyb

Post by garyb »

glad it worked!
astroman

Post by astroman »

'comeon, stardust - that isn't MacOS, it's unix... :razz:
Zurich

Post by Zurich »

Oh dont you worry - it was not my Mac at fault here....
Matt
The Boombox United
www.boomboxunited.com
pac

Post by pac »

Hm I just got the same problem while trying to flash the 2.00 ldr to my Minimax ASB. Upgrading worked after some try out to the Pro 12 but the Minimax shows E1 when switched on, no fix.
I wrote to Ralf, see what he says...
Its a bit strange to have a hardware synth and having to get the activation from the company...then also repeated unexplainable failures with the software

I really like the sound of the machines but the software handling and politics is quite not up to date.
At least the Pro 12 is working fine already :)
astroman

Post by astroman »

welcome pac :)

just as a sidenote: with a different 'software-handling' it wouldn't be too difficult to dump the DSP code to a file and re-use it in whatever 21065 Sharc board available...
slightly simplyfied, as there's also microcontroller code for the user interface needed, but that's (most likely) an ever smaller 'obstacle' for someone experienced in this domain.

cheers, Tom
pac

Post by pac »

I understand that the handling is their way of "copy protection" but for me it turned out to be a complete mess, my machine is now not working because of it. If they could at least have a note in the manual about the error code and a fix it would be appreciated.

here are the details if someone by chance knows something about this:

minimax ASB
produced 11/ 2006
connected to Win XP/ SP2 computer, USB and MIDI work
system upgrade works including the "success" reboot message
hardware shows "E1" on switch on, no sound

I'm close to returning this unit now and getting a M3X, SE1X or even a Little Phatty for more money - at least these machines don't hang up cause their system software fails :roll:
fx1mark

Post by fx1mark »

When i was updating my minimax to 2.0 it made no sound. it finally worked on the third or fourth try. windows xp.
pac

Post by pac »

:lol:
Ralf is even posting on one of the forum threads but has no advice (or time to email??) for users with problems with their products.
Really great company.
pac

Post by pac »

Alright I got this error fixed
I believe it was a failed OS update with the first remote soft version.
Since I was just waiting for couple of days for a reply from the guys I checked back the mails I got when I asked for the serial key. I found that for some reason I got 2 different key codes (maybe one of them was also the cause for this mess). So just to make sure I didn't make any mistake I downloaded the remote software from the ftp site for both ASB and Klangbox, and finally it worked with a USB connection and the Klangbox remote software (I'm talking about a ASB hardware). Now I got the whole thing working and OS 2.0.
It seems to me that all software versions of the remote (CD that came with the ASB, ftp version for ASB and ftp version for Klangbox) do have bugs and crash at one point or another.
I'm glad I got it sorted !!! If anyone ever finds a ASB or Klangbox without sound after trying to upgrade the OS, DONT GIVE UP. It's possible :wink: