Ralf

Post by Ralf »

hi,

have a look on the CWA-page ( ASB )

-------------------------------------------
Pro-12 Sound Examples
A selection of sound examples.
All sounds coming from Pro-12 ASB.
Keep in mind: quality loss due to MP3 reduction.

cheers
ralf
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

rubbish

Cheers

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shroomz on 2005-11-18 03:30 ]</font>
Nebukadneser

Post by Nebukadneser »

Hm ...

That 17mb WAV file doesn't work on a regular PC with a regular / crap soundcard running WINxp. Not Win Mediaplayer, Not NERO Mediaplayer ... What bit depth and sample frequency is it?

And sorry to say, the Mp3 samples don't impress very much! Get somebody to do some nice lead licks and tricks and filter / resonance tweaking - do some proper playing man, show off the unit and it's unique capabilities!

Have that french keyboard wiz that won the demo competition do something jazzy stuff!

Neb
ScofieldKid

Post by ScofieldKid »

It's 24-bit, 44.1 KHz stereo wav.

Kind of off topic for this thread... but... the Pro-One and Prophet-5 have been used in so many classic songs... makes me wonder what a good compilation would include. Off the top of my head, "Magic Man" by Heart, and "ABACAB" by Genesis. There must be hundreds of songs that show off the SCI sound...
hubird

Post by hubird »

Demo tracks are seldom satisfying, Creamware's included.
About the Pro12 demo: why let a machine like this demo a classic guitar distortion power chord sound as a lead??!
It's painfully missing the point...
Every electronic musicion will grab for his mouse or pen to stop it...and guitar lovers probably will do the same!
Edit: Don't wanne sound negative tho,it's great CWA got this supersynth available :smile:

Little tip: exchange 'quality loss due to MP3 reduction' by 'and the full WAV file sounds even better than this mp3!!'.
Always name the positive stuff, not the negative (it is obvious anyway, it just shows incertaincy).

Hope it sells like water in the Sahara tho :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hubird on 2005-11-17 06:21 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hubird on 2005-11-17 12:13 ]</font>
nprime

Post by nprime »

I'm a Prophet 5 Guru. I've owned one since 1981.

Give me the damn box and I'll give you some MP3's that show the thing off properly!

The P5 is all about PWM and the Polymod section.

So,in conclusion: Creamware, please send me a Pro 12 immediately so that we can address this issue.

I promise to return it! Well, actually if it does what it should, I'll just be buying it anyway.

Cheers
R
James

Post by James »

Turn off the damn effects! I have no idea what the synth really sounds like at this point. The poor thing is drowning :wink:

Seriously though, I keep the FX bypassed on my Minimax ASB - sounds fantastic! (Now if they would just fix the OS!)
kybernaut_01

Post by kybernaut_01 »

James... I have to second that...
astroman

Post by astroman »

absolutely !

it would help to categorize the examples like

contemporary - imho that applies to the current stuff

dry - as the name implies and with patches that focus on specific capabilities of the box

experts - a bit virtuoso, we all know that 'how' the keyboard is mangled also has an influence of perceived sound quality

creative - wiered and unusual

not all has to be covered with tons of examples, and it doesn't always have to be a composed piece of music.

I frequently use a DX200 groovebox as the lazy man's test approach to feed midi data to a synth and have it playing with a low volume background pattern.
With progran change filtered out, one can either step through the groove presets while keeping the synth patch or have a fix pattern and change the synths' programs.

there are certainly boxes with better (synth) patterns than the DX200, and the method produces a lot of crap, but it's incredibly fast.

cheers, tom
kybernaut_01

Post by kybernaut_01 »

On 2005-11-20 04:04, stardust wrote:
Better to have spiced it up for the marketing.
Generally yes, but the current demos don't serve this purpose either...

I would also prefer raw, short, and dry musical phrases...

Something along the lines of what I've done for my own Kurzweil sound offerings :wink:

Check out MP3 demo here... <a href=http://homepages.compuserve.de/synthhun ... 2.mp3>Vast Sound Demo</a>
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

I agree with a lot of what you guys are saying.
I'd like to hear the dry raw sounds. The ones that make the instrument & it's vintage SCI inspiration stand out. Specifically, the emense sound of the stack/unison & poly mod etc. Very cool sounding loops or sequences are required, not some terrible GM midi files that sound like the trashy overly musical composition you hear while you're put on hold on a telephone queuing system. :wink:
ScofieldKid

Post by ScofieldKid »

Does the Unison mode yield anything? I know there is a "detune" in the Profit-5, when I set it and crank up the number of voices, I don't hear any change at all. ???
astroman

Post by astroman »

righty, right - there's a sweet spot and beyond that there isn't much more to expect... :wink:

Not sure if there's a polyphonic detune like 3 voices setup from 3 unison detuned Oscillators each (I have that on a Yamaha, but that sounds sh*tty anyway - with or without that feature)

Imho it's a complete waste of resources to 'fatten' a sound this way.
As a rule of thumb I'd say 4 voices from the 'good stuff' layered with 6 or more from a (or several) humble source(s).
Even cheapo outboard gear works perfectly in this context, with the proper choice it's even superior, imho.

cheers, tom
bosone

Post by bosone »

i continue to believe that CW should put online demo made by actual users, with informations about the tracks and the process used.
take a look at http://www.garritan.com and look at how many demos are present for Garritan Personal Orchestra.
they are all demos made by people who purchased GPO, and are all made for free.

why CW is not doing the same?

demos are important in order to buy or not a product!!!!!!!!!