CW-Minimax-asb.pdf on CW ftp....

Discuss the Creamware ASB and Klangbox hardware boxes

Moderators: valis, garyb

kybernaut_01

Post by kybernaut_01 »

A certain Günter Hager writes in this Minimax ASB review that the DSPs in the ASB version of the Minimax "run at a much higher sampling rate and provide aliasing-free sound"...

My question are:

- Is this true? Or does the author confuse audio sampling frequency with DSP clock frequency?
- And -- if he's right -- does the Minimax sound better on ASB than on Scope or NOAH?
- For what magazine is that review anyway?

kybernaut
astroman

Post by astroman »

well, there's google and things add quickly...
that certain 'Günter' aka H.G. Fortune is doing public relation stuff as a service for companies in the music industry - reviews as ads, as we all know :wink:
his site is in German only, <a href=http://www.flomo-art.de/music/algor/artist.html>this</a> is about him, you'll find the press stuff further up on the site.

"...the DSPs in the ASB version of the Minimax run at a much higher sampling rate and provide aliasing-free sound"... probably is just an unFortuneate expression :grin:

cheers, tom

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: astroman on 2005-10-14 22:27 ]</font>
kybernaut_01

Post by kybernaut_01 »

alright, thanks!

Of course, I did some Google-ing but that didn't reveal the magazine for which the article was written for (my guess is "PC & Musik"...)

So... "unfortunate expression" means that Minimax ASB is not running at a higher internal rate than Scope and NOAH versions, right?

cheers,
kybernaut

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kybernaut_01 on 2005-10-15 02:34 ]</font>
astroman

Post by astroman »

I dunno the developement details of any version of Minimax, but the ASBs are higher clocked by chip specs.
The Mini filter design has been commented as 'oversampled' by CWA long ago.
If there's a difference in rates may be object to speculation, but imho it's fairly irrelevant.
'Folding-back' artifacts are effectively suppressed at twice the sampling rate, anything above may change nuances of the tone, but will not yield fundamental changes in quality.

cheers, Tom
fortune

Post by fortune »

On 2005-10-14 22:21, astroman wrote:
well, there's google and things add quickly...
that certain 'G�nter' aka H.G. Fortune is doing public relation stuff as a service for companies in the music industry - reviews as ads, as we all know :wink:
his site is in German only, <a href=http://www.flomo-art.de/music/algor/artist.html>this</a> is about him, you'll find the press stuff further up on the site.

"...the DSPs in the ASB version of the Minimax run at a much higher sampling rate and provide aliasing-free sound"... probably is just an unFortuneate expression :grin:

cheers, tom

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: astroman on 2005-10-14 22:27 ]</font>
What You forget in this matter is to what kind of readers the article was intended to go. Although all insiders here(!) know about the fact that CW is using higher sample rates for better and antialiasing sound most readers of that magazine(!) might or will not have known about this! So this had to be mentioned in some way - and even considering there is not that much space to write a 10 page i.e. more detailed article in that magazine.
Also I've been told by Frank and Andre the higher speed of the DSP is also used for even a higher sample rate than used in prior products.

cheers
HG Fortune
aka G. Hager

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: fortune on 2005-11-04 14:36 ]</font>
kybernaut_01

Post by kybernaut_01 »

On 2005-11-04 14:33, fortune wrote:

What You forget in this matter is to what kind of readers the article was intended to go. Although all insiders here(!) know about the fact that CW is using higher sample rates for better and antialiasing sound most readers of that magazine(!) might or will not have known about this! So this had to be mentioned in some way - and even considering there is not that much space to write a 10 page i.e. more detailed article in that magazine.
Also I've been told by Frank and Andre the higher speed of the DSP is also used for even a higher sample rate than used in prior products.

cheers
HG Fortune
aka G. Hager
Hey, thanks for your statement. I hope you didn't get me wrong :wink:

Basically, it is exactly that little technical detail that I'm interested in. As far as I remember, Keyboards (Germany) also got this tidbit about higher sampling frequency and the "even more crisp" sound in the ASB.

So I wanted to start some discussion on this and hoped that some well-informed people would possibly shed more light on this...

cheers,

kybernaut