MINIMAX Firmware

Discuss the Creamware ASB and Klangbox hardware boxes

Moderators: valis, garyb

jla362

Post by jla362 »

I just have received my new minimax asb, sounds great but glide is quantized, i've read that a firmware upgrade will correct this but i can't find the firmware upgrade file at creamware's site.
Could someone tell the exact URL of the firmware upgrade?
Thanks
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

Hey man without sounding like a fire breather, should this post not be in the 'ASB' forum ?

I could understand if the ASB forum was still juxtaposed with Noah, but ASB now has a separate forum for all ASB discussion on Z.

I'm affraid i can't help you but if you email Ralf i'm sure he'll answer your question.

Contact him at <a href="mailto:rb@creamware.de">rb@creamware.de</a>
kybernaut_01

Post by kybernaut_01 »

On 2005-10-12 00:59, jla362 wrote:
I just have received my new minimax asb, sounds great but glide is quantized, i've read that a firmware upgrade will correct this but i can't find the firmware upgrade file at creamware's site.
Could someone tell the exact URL of the firmware upgrade?
Thanks
ftp://ftp.cwaudio.de/MINIMAX%20ASB/ASB% ... ate/MM.zip

Post by Guest »

make sure you got your keycode from ralf before you upgrade.
James

Post by James »

Theres still some issues but they are working on them.
The most infuriating problem for me is the bug that truncates (cuts off) note attacks even when there is plenty of polyphony left...this is part of the voice allocation bug. Other than that, at least now it is completely usable in *mono* mode.

The sound on this thing is pretty darn special, though I wish they'd make poly mode work properly soon :smile:
Best Regards, James
--
http://www.carbon111.com
James

Post by James »

On 2005-10-12 02:18, kybernaut_01 wrote:
Don't use that one. There's a more recent version thats slightly better...talk to Ralf.
Best Regards, James
--
kybernaut_01

Post by kybernaut_01 »

On 2005-10-12 12:17, James wrote:
On 2005-10-12 02:18, kybernaut_01 wrote:
Don't use that one. There's a more recent version thats slightly better...talk to Ralf.
Ok, didnt know.

But... whats the value of a ftp server if it doesn't have the latest versions and if you have to email ralf to make use of it??

just wondering...

Post by Guest »

What James means that there are some fixes that he got from Ralf. read his early posts.

the firmware in question is still being updated so it won't be available for download until it is completely done

contact ralf (rb@creamware.de) with your SN and ask for the latest firmware and a key code.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: antar on 2005-10-12 23:51 ]</font>
James

Post by James »

Exactly. I didn't mean to imply anything else...
Best Regards, James
--
EricNS

Post by EricNS »

The most infuriating problem for me is the bug that truncates (cuts off) note attacks even when there is plenty of polyphony left...this is part of the voice allocation bug.
"

Strange... I can use my Minimax ASB in poly mode without any problem. I didn't notice any truncated sounds (neither the guys who did the reviews in "Keyboard Mag", in the German "Keyboards" and "Beat" magazines, and at Amazona.de).

I received my ASB this morning, I haven't used it for very long, so I could be wrong...

Do you have any example of this problem? I'm really curious.

Cheers,

Eric
jla362

Post by jla362 »

Thanks guys, i wrote to Ralf at CW and i'm waiting for the upgrade. I still cannot figure out why i have to write to someone in order to get a simple firmware upgrade.

Regarding the other bugs i cannot tell, even with the other bugs you mention the MINIMAX sounds incredible well.
alfonso

Post by alfonso »

I still cannot figure out why i have to write to someone in order to get a simple firmware upgrade.
When it is a "non public" beta version still on test it can't be put on a public access ftp site, CWA is a serious company.
It has been given on request and proven to fix some of the issues, but there are some rules on the releasing status that must be followed. I'm not talking for CWA, I'm just a customer, but this is how serious companies behave.
Ralf

Post by Ralf »

Hi,

tomorrow we'll send you the actually OS.

cheers
ralf

On 2005-10-13 02:52, jla362 wrote:
Thanks guys, i wrote to Ralf at CW and i'm waiting for the upgrade. I still cannot figure out why i have to write to someone in order to get a simple firmware upgrade.

Regarding the other bugs i cannot tell, even with the other bugs you mention the MINIMAX sounds incredible well.

James

Post by James »

On 2005-10-13 02:40, EricNS wrote:
The most infuriating problem for me is the bug that truncates (cuts off) note attacks even when there is plenty of polyphony left...this is part of the voice allocation bug.
"

Strange... I can use my Minimax ASB in poly mode without any problem. I didn't notice any truncated sounds (neither the guys who did the reviews in "Keyboard Mag", in the German "Keyboards" and "Beat" magazines, and at Amazona.de).

I received my ASB this morning, I haven't used it for very long, so I could be wrong...

Do you have any example of this problem? I'm really curious.

Cheers,

Eric
Well, its exactly as I describe. Use a sound with a medium attack (1/2 second or so), play some notes. Long before you get to 12 notes, the attacks of some notes will be cutoff.

This is connected to the voice allocation bug that steals more recent notes instead of oldest like it should. This bug can be displayed by holding a note then playing 12 more (use your arm on the keyboard), the original held note will still be sounding. The synth should be stealing the earliest played notes...this can cause other problems like the first bug I mentioned.

I am in contact with some of the nice folks at Creamware, like Ralf and Andre, they are well aware of these issues and are working to fix them.

For further details, please check my "buglist" thread in this forum.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Minimax and it is completely fine in mono mode, I'm just looking forward to the bug fixes so I can start using this to record poly stuff. :smile:

I think these bugs are completely masked on a lot of the preset poly patches because they have very short attacks and decays, great for "clav" or "organ" sounds but crappy for pads! I just want it to work correctly. Arrgh!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: James on 2005-10-23 10:59 ]</font>