Noah newbie in need of assistance!

Discuss the Creamware Noah

Moderators: valis, garyb

Hedefar

Noah newbie in need of assistance!

Post by Hedefar »

Hello guys and greetings from Denmark!

Great to find a forum like this. And especially one that has such a positive vibe about it :)

I have been fortunate enough to chat to just the right guy at my local music store.
Some years back, they bought the contents of a shop that went bankrupt. Among the contents were one Noah and two Noah EX's.
They didn't have any expertise in this kind of thing and their customers are mainly buying the child's first guitar and similar, so these great machines have been collecting dust in a corner and are basically brand new! One of them has been mounted in a rack, just to try it out, and two of them still their original boxes.

The shop owner didn't want to sell them with warranty, as they are now unsupported, so we decided on a price and I took all three of his hands.

I'm hoping to sell two and keep one for myself because they seem great!

However, here comes the newbie question:

I have hooked a Noah EX up to my Mac.
The Mac is too new to run the software, so I am just sending MIDI to channel 1 and running the analog outputs into my audio interface.
I see that the Noah recieves MIDI because the MIDI LED is flashing, but no sound comes out. The same goes for the Phones output.
Volume is set to 127.

Any clues why I am not getting any sound?

While I am asking, what would you deem a fair price for these machines when they are completely unused?

Thanks for any help! :)
//Hedefar
the19thbear

Re: Noah newbie in need of assistance!

Post by the19thbear »

Velkommen til :D
Hedefar

Post by Hedefar »

Tak tak! Thanks for telling me about this place :)
ehasting

Post by ehasting »

What preset have you selected? Is it a name on the screen. I guess you have also checked midi channel 1-16?

Price? I have no clue!
Higen
http://www.scopeportal.com - Community Sonic Core SCOPE Plugins and Devices
http://www.higen.org
Hedefar

Post by Hedefar »

ehasting wrote:What preset have you selected? Is it a name on the screen. I guess you have also checked midi channel 1-16?

Price? I have no clue!
Hei ehasting :)

I had the first preset of the Minimax selected when I tried.
No, I actually didn't find anywhere to select MIDI channels. I just set my computer to send MIDI to channel 1, which is usually default (as far as I have experienced with other hardware).
And I can see that the Noah is receiving the MIDI notes because the MIDI LED is flashing.

But still, it could be receiving MIDI but ignoring it, if it is set to react to a different channel.
Maybe you can tell where in the Noah I can define which channel it receives MIDI on?

Thanks for replying! :)
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

As these units looks like New Old Stock, you would probably need to activate the devices.
For that purpose you would need to connect to them with the Noah remote software and upload a keyfile you would get from SonicCore (easisest way else you would have to enter each plugin key manually).

I have two NOAH Ex unit.
One I bought new at the end of year 2006 (maybe the last one sold by CreamWare).
The other one I bought used on ebay.

I do not remeber what was provided with the new NOAH but at that time I asked CreamWare about the keyfile and activated the "plugins" on the NOAH with that file.
To get that file I only needed to send CreamWare the serial number of the NOAH unit.
I did the same with the used one but at that time Creamware didn't exist anymore. SonicCore could help me on that sort of topic though. Providing the keyfiles was the only support they still could provide for the NOAH but that was fine for me.
The serial number of the NOAH can be get from the PC Win XP Noah Remote Software. It may have worked with OSX as NOAH was OSX compatible back in 2003 but I guess this could not work as OSX has got a few step forward from that time.
You can also find the serial number of the NOAH units on a small metallic stick at the back of the units. Just send a request for keyfile to SC support and wait patiently for them to find time to generate the keyfiles.

I guess this is the only option...

But it is worth waiting patiently ...
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

Another "issue" that I had once was some cable disconnected inside the unit.
If the NOAH has already been used the activation should have been already done and not necessary. I would advise to start with the test with the simpler NOAH unit rather than the NOAH Ex, as there can be no connexion trouble with the Expansion card (there is none :D ).
Hedefar

Post by Hedefar »

Thanks a lot for the feedback, HUROLURA.
What you are saying seems likely. The guy at the shop is really not used to handling this kind of equipment and has never done business with Creamware, so my guess is that he never got it to work.

You mention that it is possible to enter each plugin key manually. Even though it would be more work, it would save me some days of waiting, I guess, right?
How is that done? Is it by finding the keys in the manual or something like that?

Thanks for helping out!
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

I do not know about NOAH keys for manual entering.
I just remember the keys were printed on a sticker on a paper provided with some old CreamWare PCI cards and you could enter them manually. I do not remember anything similar about the NOAH (forgive me 2006 is a bit to far away for me :D ).
But the keyfile solution is much more straightforward.
What I was wondering is if any of the units you grabbed had been already activated by the previous resellers (for demo purpose for example). Then it should work.
I have no access to my NOAH for now ...
But connecting the NOAH to a Win XP computer with the NOAH Remote Software that can be found here could give you hints about what is actually activated:
ftp://sonic-core.net/software/Noah/
Hedefar

Post by Hedefar »

Alright, great.
As soon as I get home tomorrow afternoon, I will hook one of them up to my old Windows XP laptop to see what has been activated or not.

Thanks for the link and thanks for helping out! :)
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

No problem, I still feel that the NOAH is a kind of unknown jewel ...
Hedefar

Post by Hedefar »

HUROLURA wrote:No problem, I still feel that the NOAH is a kind of unknown jewel ...
I hope to hear that for myself soon ;)
Right now, I have a Noah EX hooked up to an old Windows XP laptop via USB. I have installed the Noah Remote Software and I can control parameters on the Noah from within the software.
But of course, still no sound, so I am l looking for the place where I can see the licenses.

Can you guide me?
When I go to "Set" and "Registry" to open the "Module Registry", I see the serial number of the Noah next to "Installed Hardware" in the upper part of the window.
In the box below, where it says "HW S/N, Key, Module and Date, nothing is shown. Does this mean that the instruments have not been activated?

Thanks for helping out!
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

I think so.

The good news are that the NOAH Ex works.
Just grab the serial number and send an e-mail to SC.
Did you achieve similar test with similar results with the other 2 units ?
Hedefar

Post by Hedefar »

HUROLURA wrote:I think so.

The good news are that the NOAH Ex works.
Just grab the serial number and send an e-mail to SC.
Did you achieve similar test with similar results with the other 2 units ?
Great. I will do that!

I just stopped by the shop where the remaining two units are still located. They are heavy and I don't have a car, so I will leave them there until I sell them.
I brought my old laptop with XP there and connected them and got the same result. A positive surprise was that he just found another Noah in the back of his storage so we are up to four "new" units!
I have gathered the serial numbers and will e-mail SonicCore now :)
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

Did you get the keys ?
petal

Post by petal »

Maybe you should contact this guy and figure out weather "he's still single":

http://forums.planetz.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=31563