NOAH + OSX and midi cc controller

Discuss the Creamware Noah

Moderators: valis, garyb

bill3107

NOAH + OSX and midi cc controller

Post by bill3107 »

Hi guys (well it's been a long time :) ....) ,

I plan to control my Noah EX with a hardware synth via Logic (hey, my Noah works perfectly with osx 10.5 ! :wink: ). To be honest i am not sure many people here have the same set up but here is what i want to do : map my hardware synth so that it can match to the fixed midi cc of the Noah. Why ? Because a good synth has better knobs, good keys and gives you additional sounds if you compare it with all the cheap (or expensive) controller / keyboards in the market. Furthermore these keyboards (Akai, Novation, ..) need a software to run and to mapp the midi cc (what about the forthcoming updates then ???).

What i plan to do :
- avoid a dedicated controller (ex : BCR2000) and use a regular hardware synth abale to send midi data to the sequencer
- use the environment transformer objects in Logic (you can change any midi data into another)

I will work on that project this summer but any input is welcome of course. First of all, WHO is using OSX with a Noah ?

Thanks,

Jo
bill3107

Re: NOAH + OSX and midi cc controller

Post by bill3107 »

here is the best solution to me :
http://www.bluecataudio.com/Tutorials/T ... CCMapping/

Actually Remote control allows to transform any CC into any other CC. That's perfect for Noah !!!! And the setting can be adjusted for each channel (each synth of Noah) which is not always possible with others cc converters. This plugin can be inserted in the track so it's quite easy to make your hardware knobs match ALL the creamware synths ...

I hope this will help you too.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Glad to see you're jamming brosky... :wink:
I will use Solaris as the same. Having an expression pedal dedicated to the 2 units is all I need to sperate or layer if I choose.
Even the long ass Ribbon JBowen has chosen can track whatever I assign.
Glad to see someone else making wise use of their hardware...
pseudojazzer

Post by pseudojazzer »

Hi Jo

try Midipipe.. you can route midi and transform it on the way as well, without even opening your DAW...

http://web.mac.com/nicowald/SubtleSoft/MidiPipe.html

Its free! and i've been using it to faff around with some sounds ion the Noah using a little nanokey.. in usb - "piped" it to my soundcard and out to noah..

Works a charm
bill3107

Post by bill3107 »

Thanks. The only drawback (if i remember well) is that there is only ONE cc conversion that will work for ALL your project and thus for all the Noah synth (not possible to change the cc assignment depending on the track / Naoh's synth within the same propject). That's why i found the other software interesting as it is considered as a plugin by the DAW so you can assign your hardware knobs to each Naoh's synth in a different way ...

Jo
pseudojazzer

Post by pseudojazzer »

True - the other software is definitly more flexible, but you could set up a few templates in midipipe and switch between them?

Haven't tried it myself... so cannot really comment

All the best
bill3107

Post by bill3107 »

yes but when playin back several tracks with automation (to Naoh's synths), that would not work :wink: ...

Jo
pseudojazzer

Post by pseudojazzer »

Aha! now i see what you mean!

Doh! :lol:
bill3107

Post by bill3107 »

FYI : the software i mentionned is really good but is a bit tricky to insert in a midi track. For those who have Logic, creating transformers within a logic environment is the way to go and is quite simple to do eventually ... I just ask a transformer to convert midi CC into others and i also put a channel splitter (another transformer) and that's perfect ! Each synth form my Noah receives the right CC from my keyboard. Logic is really amazing (the environment is quite similar to the routing window of Scope !)...

Jo