Noah & Windows 64 bit

Discuss the Creamware Noah

Moderators: valis, garyb

erminardi

Noah & Windows 64 bit

Post by erminardi »

Does anyone knows if the discontinued Noah works with Windows Vista or Windows 7?
A second hand unity is flying around me but I will buy it only if there are 64 bit drivers & software...
Thanks in advance for any reply :)
4PC + Scope 5.0 + no more Xite + 2xScope Pro + 6xPulsarII + 2xLunaII + SDK + a lot of devices (Flexor III & Solaris 4.1 etc.) + Plugiator.
kylie
Rank-o-phile

Re: Noah & Windows 64 bit

Post by kylie »

erminardi wrote:Does anyone knows if the discontinued Noah works with Windows Vista or Windows 7?
A second hand unity is flying around me but I will buy it only if there are 64 bit drivers & software...
if you don't find it here it does not exist. can't see anything that hints to 64bit.
(and I don't expect S|C to free manpower for that, tbh).
--
I'm sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
erminardi

Post by erminardi »

umm, thanks :(
It seems a totally abandoned project from CW/S|C... (and I can underestand why... :roll: )
4PC + Scope 5.0 + no more Xite + 2xScope Pro + 6xPulsarII + 2xLunaII + SDK + a lot of devices (Flexor III & Solaris 4.1 etc.) + Plugiator.
kylie
Rank-o-phile

Post by kylie »

well, S|C had to decide which products they would maintain further, and noah was not on the list.
imho it wasn't even a current product of the last CW incarnation...
--
I'm sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

The NOAH kind of just came back in a limited version in the much cheaper Plugiator version.

The Xite-1 provide allmost all what the NOAH provide except for the standalone mode but stacking an xite-1 on top of a 1U PC rack take the same place as a NOAH in a rack.

So no chance to see a 64bit version of NOAH host software I think.
Last edited by HUROLURA on Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
tommiport5

Post by tommiport5 »

Well, maybe I am a little late for this, but I am using my Noah on 64bit Windows 7.
The trick is to use the Virtual XP mode (available with Win7 Professional, if you have Win7 Home you might want to try Virtual PC).
All Noah PC software and driver works there. I am using the sequencer (Cubase 5) in the normal Win7 window and control the Noah via Midi. With the Noah application on the Virtual PC I can edit settings, sound etc.

All in all, on 64bit Win7, my Noah works better than on 32bit :P
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

Thanks for the info ...
Liquid Len

Post by Liquid Len »

I have an XP mode session set up and the creamware drivers are working properly in it. But when I try to install the noah software I get "Cannot start creamware installer - error code 0001". Any ideas?
at0m

Post by at0m »

Liquid Len wrote:I have an XP mode session set up and the creamware drivers are working properly in it. But when I try to install the noah software I get "Cannot start creamware installer - error code 0001". Any ideas?
I do suspect the drivers - did you get the latest version, or at least the one suited for the control OS version?

Googling this a bit, I came on to something else: Noah is supported on Linux!

http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices/showdev.php?id=2542 and
http://www.google.com/search?q=creamwar ... b-audio%22 eventually got me to http://www.mail-archive.com/alsa-devel@ ... 11676.html

Anyone here tried this?
more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio
Liquid Len

Post by Liquid Len »

The drivers are for the Noah Midi, Synthesiser, Wave components. (Whenever you unplug the Noah and plug it into a different USB slot, you have to re-install each of these.) These are what you can't install in Windows 7 64-bit version, but they install under windows xp mode. It's the install for the Noah application itself that gives me this error. The drivers show up properly in the device manager (of the virtual xp).

And I don't think there were any updates to the drivers since 1.1 (but I could be mistaken).
astroman

Post by astroman »

the NOAH app is more or less a full Scope (excluding most devices), but with highly specific modifications.
Can't imagine they'd ever pick that up again - way too much effort imho.

I never looked at NOAH's inside but as it uses a standard PSU, you might add one of those Intel-Atom based mini itx boards with a 4 GB sd/cf memory (if space allows). Just double the PSU connector (possibly there are splitters available).
Those boards are less than 50 bucks with CPU and draw only 50 Watts, the major part by the graphics chip.
Not sure about it's consumption in non 3d idle mode, though.
You might add a small WLAN card and control it via remote desktop, if you don't want to add monitor, mouse and keyboard. I'd guess 100 bucks with an XP license sticker, 1 GB memory, and WLAN.

cheers, Tom
Liquid Len

Post by Liquid Len »

I managed to run the installshield by (1) copying the install files into a temporary folder on my virtual XP's C: drive and (2) running it in Win2K compatibility mode. It seems to run OK but I don't trust it. It crashes during synchronization and leaves the Noah in a weird state. Re-running synchronization, sometimes with a 'faked' change (i.e. just re-save the multi-presets file to change its datestamp) eventually restores the presets, but it's not a good feeling seeing all my presets wiped out.
vsnicolas

Post by vsnicolas »

Hi all,

It is possible to drive the Noah (note 1) from a Windows 64bit system.

1) Install VMWare Workstation (not free)

2) Create a virtual machine (VM) running Windows XP SP2

3) Start this VM

3) On this VM, install the Noah application (Noah Remote System NRS, and all drivers)

4) Start the NRS

5) Check that Creamware Synth is connected to the VM, not to the 64bit host

6) Choose the master output from the NRS mixer (note 2)

7) From the 64bit host, start your audio/midi software and set your audio/midi parameters (note 3).

Note 1 : tested with an EX version.
Note 2 : wordclocked ADAT connection highly recommanded.
Note 3 : do not use USB midi, but true MIDI. It works like a charm.

Noah is a beautiful synth, don't sell it if you get a 64bit daw...
Arturia Moog or GM Minimonsta can't fight EX Minimax.