No power - help!

Discuss the Creamware Noah

Moderators: valis, garyb

Danimalia

No power - help!

Post by Danimalia »

Hey everyone,

Today when I went to turn on my Noah EX, nothing happened! I've tried different cables and different outlets. I hear a slight whirring sound inside when the rear switch is turned to "on" but nothing happens when I hit the front switch.

Anyone have a similar problem and know how to fix it without spending 10 billion dollars to have it fixed (which, where would you even do that since the product is no longer made)?

Thanks!
Fluxpod

Re: No power - help!

Post by Fluxpod »

I would guess the power supply is dead.If you are a bit familar with pc´s open it (disconnect power first!!!) and try to reseat all cable connections.If that wont help and you have a multimeter try to measure the powersupply output.Its a standart atx supply so a replacement shouldnt cost too much.
Danimalia

Post by Danimalia »

Thanks for the reply! I will give it a shot. I trust that I will know what the wattage is of the power supply based on the supply inside somehow?

I just tried it again. When turned on I hear a very high pitched squealing but when I press the front power button the noise stops. Let go, it starts again. I think your diagnosis is pretty accurate.

Thanks again!
Fluxpod

Post by Fluxpod »

Hey.The high pitched noise is indeed indicating a power supply failure.Some part inside the switching power supp is oscillating.I would replace it.It should be labeled inside what type it is.Any wattage should work because i doubt the noah will draw more the 40 watts.You may take the old supply to a pc shop to get a 1o1 fit in replacement.
Danimalia

Post by Danimalia »

I will and let you know how it works - thanks so much!
bill3107

Post by bill3107 »

please check my post about changing the psu for a silence Noah .... You must stick to the requirements of the seasonic psu inside and there is a +5v and a -5v .... That means that ou must fnd a psu at least as powerful as the original one. I bought 2 psu which were not ok so .... STICK AT LEAST to what is written and that should work. Hope it helps !

Jo
Danimalia

Post by Danimalia »

Thanks for the replies. Pullnig the PS was a snap and I have ordered a replacement, making sure that the ratings were the same on the new unit. Unfortunately I live in an are with no computer stores so I had to order one of good ol' ebay.

I'll post again when it arrives, thanks!
garyb

Post by garyb »

fwiw,
i had one die on me. it's just a standard atx supply. i had an old one laying around(pre P4). i plugged it in and everything's been fine since. i'm sure yours will work just fine...
Danimalia

Post by Danimalia »

Got the new power supply, installed it, and... nothing.

The new supply can switch between 115V and 235V, which one should I be using?

If there's a way to test if the new supply is in fact working, what would that be? And please, dumb it down as much as possible.

This is becoming very disheartening.
Fluxpod

Post by Fluxpod »

UHG FULL STOP!!!

where are you located? You need to find out what are the voltages that come out of the wallsocket.If you have choosen the wrong one you killed the powersupply by a good chance.Also,does it meet the specifications of the old one 1:1? You need to be 100% sure to continue.
Danimalia

Post by Danimalia »

I am in the United States.

The specs are not 1:1, they are all higher in fact. So for instance the DC output at 3.3V on the old PS was 20A, the new one is 28A. The overall rating is higher as well (450W vs. 250W)

Is this wrong? What should I have the thing set at?

Sorry, like I said, you gotta dumb it down. An electrical engineer I am not/
Fluxpod

Post by Fluxpod »

Set it to 115 volts then.This is mains voltage in the us.The important thing is that it can supply the exact voltages the old supply can.You need to check that! +5 and -5 volts like the other posters stated.Maybe give it to somebody who knows this stuff because i think you are a little lost with this.
Danimalia

Post by Danimalia »

I don't think "a little" is strong enough.

Again, all the specs are above the old unit (a Seasonic). Do thy have to be exact? I was of the impression they had to be "at least" as powerful but more would be OK... not so?

As always, thanks!
Fluxpod

Post by Fluxpod »

If the new one has more power that is ok.The rail voltages have to be 1:1 they need to be 100% correctEven if every plug fits..thats not good enought every +5 volt line and every -5 volt line need to be on the exact same pins on the connectors like the old supply.If you are lost go to somebody who can help you further or post the exact specs of the old/new supply and email soniccore.
Danimalia

Post by Danimalia »

Is Soniccore the new company? And will they help out even with an old product?

If there's a way to test if the new supply is in fact working I'd like to give it a shot before I send it back as well.

Thanks so much for all the help!
Fluxpod

Post by Fluxpod »

Danimalia wrote:Is Soniccore the new company? And will they help out even with an old product?

If there's a way to test if the new supply is in fact working I'd like to give it a shot before I send it back as well.

Thanks so much for all the help!
Yes soniccore is the new company.I have no idea how helpfull they are with the noah couldnt hurt to ask tho.

On what was the voltage set on the psu when you plugged it in? If it was set to 230V you most certainly killed it.If it was set to 115 and the noah still wont power up the supply is A: dead or B: not suited for the noah.
There are ways to test if the supply is working but honestly i will not recommend this to you because you need a multimeter and it has to be powered up and a switching power supply is a dangerous device when handled wrong.A simple way to check would be to look if the fan is running.Sorry but as i see you need to find someone to help you with this in person.
Danimalia

Post by Danimalia »

Fluxpod wrote:A simple way to check would be to look if the fan is running.Sorry but as i see you need to find someone to help you with this in person.
No need to be sorry, I've thought the same thing all along. In person, you probably could have diagnosed the problem in about three seconds. Unfortuantely I know no one who has any electronics knowledge.

The fan does not run, I can only guess that the power supply is not working and will have to send it back for a replacement.

Again, all the specs are higher than the original, I can't imagine what would make this one not suited except that it doesn't work at all.
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

ATX12V 1.2

From January 2002. the −5 V rail was no longer required (it became optional). This voltage was very rarely used, only on some old systems with some ISA add-on cards.

so most new PSU wont work if it requires -5v

I just took one out of a dead p4 system, it has the -5v on it, but the corsair ones in my current systems do not.
Danimalia

Post by Danimalia »

The one I purchased ALSO does not have the -5V, I didn't notice that until you menitoned it. I can't believe I missed that!

I am currently ordering another supply that does have the correct -5V rating on it.
Last edited by Danimalia on Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

well i do not know anot noahs requirements, someone with a working noah and a clamp type ammeter, or a noah service manual if such a thing exists