Prophet5 patch converter (so far just analyzer)

Discuss the Creamware Noah

Moderators: valis, garyb

Henrik

Prophet5 patch converter (so far just analyzer)

Post by Henrik »

Hi,

I am working on a web-based prophet5 patch file converter for Pro53, Noah Pro12 and probably also for ASB Pro12 (although I can't test it myself since I don't have it).

You can parse Prophet 5 patch files in SYX format on this page
http://www.gilvader.dk/prophet5/prophet5.html

It will make a hex-dump of the file, try to recognise the header and then show the patch on the screen.

Next step is to convert it to a file containing all Midi Control Changes. It should be posible to send it directly to the Noah, Pro53 or ASB if the midi playback device of windows (or mac?) is set to a midi-interface that is connected to the device.

Right now it only takes the first patch if you parse a huge 40 voice file but that will be fixed soon :roll:

I cannot promise that the sounds will be sounding good or anything because I still don't believe that the Noah Pro12 Midi Control Change messages are really compatible 1:1 with the Prophet 5.
If I can make some conversion tables for those controlers that doesn't seem to match the real Prophet 5 hardware then it should be posible to make something close to the real thing.

Will come back sooner when I have added MIDI support.

Most likely I will also add ASB Pro12 parsing (the file posted by Anna Lüse seemed to be quite simple) especially if someone can make a bank containing just one controler change for each patch.

Br,

Henrik
Henrik

Page updated with "conversion"

Post by Henrik »

I have added first version of patch-conversion for Pro53, ASB Pro12 and Noah Pro12. Based mainly on midi controller data sheets as I only have the Noah.

Note that most parameters are not translated, just copied to Midi Control Changes. This means that if Noah, ASB or Pro53 does not have correct Prophet5 emulation of i.e. Filter Attack then it will not sound as the original.

I am suspecting that at least Noah does not have correct Amplifier and Filter Attack and perhaps Sustain, Release. Might not be right here. Its based on reading the original Prophet 5 technical manuals, chip data sheets etc. If needed I will add translation of those parameters later.

If you have your browser setup to playback MIDI files through your Noah, ASB or Pro53 then you should get the patch uploaded. Else you have to download the .mid file and send it by other means.

The first version of the converter can be found here:
http://www.gilvader.dk/prophet5

Please provide feedback if you have any :D

Henrik
Attachments
FAC_A_11.TXT
here is 1 examplefile that can be used with my converter
(53 Bytes) Downloaded 277 times
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

Can this be used to translate Prophet 5 to Scope Pro-12?
Henrik

Post by Henrik »

I have made some updates.
It can now take multiple patch syx files and generate seperate .mid files for each patch with the Control Change# data (like if it came from BCR2000) so just download the file and send it to your Noah, ASB or Scope. I use MidiOX sysex window to send them although they should be proper midi files then some other programs complain about them :-(

I generate 3 different files:
Pro53 (remember to use the pro12.txt file to remap controller so Pro53 looks like a Pro12. Then you can also DUMP patches from Pro53 via midi with only few data to correct manually)
Pro12 (seems to have same CC# configuration on ASB, Klangbox and Scope!??)
Noah (more conversion seems to be needed than for Pro12)

Some patches sounds quite right, some still sounds weird so I am debugging. If anyone got feedback just write it here.
Those controllers that are not on the original Prophet 5 (like Velocity) should be set to proper values. I should add those to the mid files but don't know exactly how to set them yet. (100% or just at "7" etc)
hifiboom

Post by hifiboom »

very interesting thing....