Noah Sysex problem

Discuss the Creamware Noah

Moderators: valis, garyb

Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

We've been using edirol interfaces for a while. A UM-2 for several years, then last year we bought a UM-880. I'd say they're 99+% reliable for any type of midi data. Problems with sysex are common, but reportedly more so with older midi interfaces & certain hardware like Digi001 for example, so it would probably make sense not to buy an older 2nd hand unit, but go for something new or new-ish. Most modern interfaces should be fine if their drivers aren't prehistoric (which edirol's aren't), but I'd probably spend a bit of time googling around about an interface before buying it. Say you decide on a midiman. Search google for 'sysex problems with midiman' or similar before buying (just to see what comes up)
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

For me an "old" Emagic AMT8 do the job as main midi interface. This one is a 8 input/8 output one and is used to dialog with the main items of my setup (also including a K4, waldorf microQ, micromodular, MKS-50 and Vl-70m units).
One point though: you'd better choose a multi I/O midi interface to be able to dedicate 1 midi input and 1 midi output to each of your units. Such device would also let you route midi signal as you want just similary to what you can do with audio signal within scope.
I think the best for you would be to choose something like one of thoose units:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/esi_m8u_usbmidiinterface.htm

or

http://www.thomann.de/gb/mark_of_the_un ... ss_128.htm

I also have a BCR2000 but I use it to control/edit the different sound modules (that's the reason why I made some template do edit patches on some of the NOAH plug-in with it).

CheerZ

Received your mail but what do you mean axectly by "KLDHGREHLG" ? :wink:
Nebukadneser

Post by Nebukadneser »

!Have you tried connecting the K4 to the midi THROUGH of Noah? That is the midi connection which transmits a copy of what it receives at the Midi in. Midi out is not supposed to copy the input.

Neb
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

That's a good point, but it won't work if the sysex is entering the Noah via usb. Or will it?
rephazer

Post by rephazer »

Maybe Nebukadneser has a good point,although it´s like Shroomz says..Will the USB(out)data be send to the Midi Thru of the Noah..

I think this isn´t likely,but I´ll give it a try.

You can even send the sysex-data from the Noah in to Noah out by the ´echo´ options in the midi-manager.

It is likely that the received sysex-data send to the Noah-In is send to the Noah thru,but this isn´t my problem..

I want to send sysex-data from my computer to other synthesizers using the Noah (usb>noah>other gear)

Thanks all for thinking with me ! :smile:
MiK

Post by MiK »

Besides all this SysEx thing - is it possible to use the Noah as a MIDI interface? AFAIK, the MIDI interface on the Noah is just an alternative to control the Noah, it is not intended to be used as an USB MIDI interface for your computer. Have you checked if there comes out any data from the Noah MIDI interface the way you have set up everything (you can use the keyboard mode of MIDI-OX to check if note on/off-events come out there).

I have several MIDI interfaces in my setup (Tascam FW-1804, Behringer BCR2000) but i never tried using the Noah as one, the MIDI interface that appears on the Noah USB is the interface to the Noah itself and i don't know if the data is really routed to the MIDI out of the Noah.
rephazer

Post by rephazer »

Yes my Noah is my main midi/audio device for my laptop and it sends/receives midi/audio data very well except for this sysex thing.