NOAH useless live?

Discuss the Creamware Noah

Moderators: valis, garyb

Nebukadneser

Post by Nebukadneser »

Argh! Advice urgently needed!

Brought my Noah to a rehearsal space yesterday to play the B2003 on a couple of Rolling Stones tunes to rehearse for a gig. The NOAH caused a terrible hum / buzz on the PA when connected via left or right analog out. Tried to switch jack cables, same result. Connected the device to a guitar amp, same hum / buzz. Switched off the device (front button) AND STILL it caused distortion on the PA. When disconnecting the power cord, I got a minor electric shock, so I switched off the power supply by pressing the on/off at the back of the unit.

At home, when going through my cheap Behringer 1604 line mixer to Alesis Mark II active monitors - no noise, no problems at all - a dream unit!

The PSU of my unit is extremely silent. Does anyone know if there are installed different PSUs on the Noahs, and that maybe this is a well known problem with my type of PSU?

As you may see, my main reason for getting a Noah EX is for live use, so I find this a serious flaw with the desingn of the NOAH, unless someone know of a solution, that is...

Neb
garyb

Post by garyb »

that's a ground problem....
you can probably use a transformer like the ebtech hum eliminator. this is probably from improperly grounded outlets or the pa and the noah being on different circuits.
tfiala

Post by tfiala »

Try a ground lifter, or a DI box.
ChrisWerner

Post by ChrisWerner »

I guess Gary is right. We had those problems on our live gigs in the past, too.
Then we started to keep every unit, everything in one power circuit only.
Now we have silence when there is silence.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ChrisWerner on 2006-05-15 10:27 ]</font>
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

Hi Neb,

Try going back to the same rehersal space at some point with decent power distribution (furman or similar). Also remember that Noah's analogue outs are unbalanced. Balancing them with a good DI may not be a bad idea in a live situation. (especially if Noah's connections need to travel accross the room hurdling other power & audio cables along the way!!)
Nebukadneser

Post by Nebukadneser »

Sorted!

I brought the Noah EX to another rehearsal space, and no humming occurred, so it is definately caused by external factors.

By the way, the B2003 sounded amazing through the PA! The Noah box is a real gem, it is a fantastic box!

Neb
dawman

Post by dawman »

If you have access to a Motion-Sound rotary cabinet, give it a try. I use the Pro3t with the B2003, and it has a profound effect on the model by CW. I found that the leslie simulation seems to have the low rotor mike too close 4 my tastes. The Pro3t makes any emu sound better, and in this caes it is hard to distinguish from the real thing. As I used one 4 years with twin 147's. No road crew, no B3. It is properly buried in my project studio right now, and I need to get rid of it. As the Logic B3 Emu, and CW Emu sound so good, I see no need 4 the hassles of micing up, and deadening the room just to catch the doppler effect. Pro3t has built in mic's, and direct outs from those mic's also.

Noah and the rackmounted rotary are also an option,