Advanced arpeggiation tricks

Discuss the Creamware Noah

Moderators: valis, garyb

AzureFeast

Post by AzureFeast »

Being a longtime user of a SuperNova, I am a fan of advanced user programmable arpeggios.

I just experimented a trick to achieve excellent arpeggiation in Multi-mode with the Noah.

- In Slot 1 use a synth (Say a Minimax) with a standard arpeggiation pattern. It works fine but can quickly become boring...

- Now, open the filter in Slot 1 compeletly and turn the VCA to a simple gate.

- in Slot 2 use an Interpole triggered by a well choosen sequence. Select Slot 1 as the source.

- Disable Slot 1 from the main mix. So you only hear the Minimax gated by the Sequence of Slot 2 and the Interpole. That gets cool !!

There are many variations possible. Interpole allows great panning or phasing effect thanks to the LFO.

Even cooler use a Pro-One as gater. Turn OscA and Osc B to Zero. Use Slot 1 as the external source. You can now use velocity & note in the sequencer to control the filter and/or the amp of the Pro-One-Gater.

The notes being played are still only controlled by the arpeggiator in Slot 1.

... the combination are multiple... and it actually works flawlessly (so far)...who needs a modular ??

Hope it helps,
Marc.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AzureFeast on 2006-01-05 01:21 ]</font>
AzureFeast

Post by AzureFeast »

Actually the trick I described above works quite well with the internal clock. When MIDI clocking is used the timing is different and seems less stable. I will try to find out if there is a way to avoid this problem.

Marc
Lima

Post by Lima »

Thanks seems very cool! I'll try to adapt it to my devices (I haven't got Interpole).

:smile:
AzureFeast

Post by AzureFeast »

On 2006-01-07 07:23, AzureFeast wrote:
Actually the trick I described above works quite well with the internal clock. When MIDI clocking is used the timing is different and seems less stable. I will try to find out if there is a way to avoid this problem.

Marc
Just did the tests that needed to be done. The conclusion is somewhat surprising. After a few tests, I ended up recording a simple sequence alone (no arp involved) with the sync to the Midi clock. Conclusion seems clear: The Noah sequencer does not sync to the MIDI clock properly. It drifts (ahead in this case) in just a few measures.

Interestingly the Arpeggiator DOES lock to the MIDI clock.

So for the "gated arpeggio" trick I described above there are two options:
- Use Internal clock. That makes a great "stand-alone" arpeggiator. It could work ok if you record the results in audio and work from there.

- If you want to record the trigger notes and replay the arpeggiated sequence out of an external sequencer (like Logic) then forget about the Noah sequencer. You can still use the trick I described in my intial post. Simply record the trigger notes for the "gater" in your EXTERNAL sequencer (use Slot 2 in Direct mode") and use the Noah for arpeggiation of Slot 1.

I hope this helps. Personnaly, I even succeeded doing some music that way...:smile:

Marc.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AzureFeast on 2006-01-08 05:46 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AzureFeast on 2006-01-08 05:47 ]</font>