Using Behringer BCR2000 to control Noah

Discuss the Creamware Noah

Moderators: valis, garyb

Henrik

Post by Henrik »

Hi,

To use my Noah live I have bought a Behringer BCR2000 and programmed it to control all parameters. Here is a link to my first attempt for a logical layout.

BCR2000 has 8 push-encoders, 2 lines of 8 push switches, 3 lines of 8 encoders and another 2 x 2 push switches. It is my goal to map Pro-1 and others as well.

I have not used the Push-function of the Push-Encoders. Perhaps it would make sense to move the upper line of switches to them and thereby freeing the switches for selecting sounds? Oh well...

I am open to ideas and will post the files for the BCR2000 here. Perhaps they can be of help to others. (or at least I will post the link to the files here)

BR,

Henrik

Okay I have put the picture here instead

http://users.cybercity.dk/~dsl110182/bcr2000.html

I am doing the Pro-One/Tone also and will post it when it's done.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: henrik on 2005-07-01 13:19 ]</font>
next to nothing

Post by next to nothing »

just a little "bug report": The menu on your page works on Internet Explorer but not Firefox...
gustav

Post by gustav »

true - I only have firefox and no acces to the menu
I'm interested but I have the BCF2000 - ...
bgarlow

Post by bgarlow »

Hey Henrik,

I just got a BCR2000 and will setting it up this weekend. I like what you've done for Minimax. I'm probably going to create a preset for SpaceF DXD (unless Mehdi has already done it) and will post it here.

Do you have any hints for a newbie? Did you configure the BCR first, then map the controllers in Minimax and save the preset, or the other way around, using the Learn function?

(I'm not using Noah, but AFAIK the process is similar).

Cheers,
Brent

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: bgarlow on 2005-08-03 11:27 ]</font>
spacef

Post by spacef »

hi, you should find a preset for b2000/dxd in the latest BB update (in the "v1.3 presets backup " directory).

But why not other presets :smile: ! mine are not necessarily the best. (nb : i can include such other presets in next update which should be around september, please contact me before end of august, because i intend to modify some devs to have them controllable with the same "dxd ber 2000 preset (i think i will include optional ccs implementation for an-osc, harps... while keeping the current ones anyway).
see you !
bgarlow

Post by bgarlow »

Yep, I went back to my "Summer Update" CD and found your presets. It works great for DXD! I was going to try to apply the SpaceF standard to John Bowen's Solaris synthesizer, but ended up making a new template (2 actually). The first one controls the 4 filters and filter mixers. The 4 group buttons for the top row of controllers give you quick access to the LFOs, SMO, and Mixer/Blender. The second template will control the Oscillator section(s). I haven't finished laying that one out yet.

I did use Henrik's Minimax template and Mehdi's DXD template this weekend and found they work great. I really need to print out some of those paper overlays on cardstock so I can keep track of what's what!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: bgarlow on 2005-08-08 06:04 ]</font>
spacef

Post by spacef »

excellent :smile: keep us informed !
cheers
Mehdi
spacef

Post by spacef »

i take advantage of this slight off topic drift to post my own printed panel for dxd. it correspond to the "preset 16-filters" (while the red writing is preset 17-pitch and oscillator modulation sends).

image is here : http://www.space-bonobos.com/img/DXDtemplate.gif

I post it to give you ideas as to how to modify behringer own templates and may be save your time and thinking energy to make your own (the behringer templates include a lot of black space, ie unuseable spaces).

- you have the main panel that goes on the knobs
- the 4 rows at the bottom are the 4 upper knob pages (it's more practical for me to have them like that) : the upper line is the knobs, the botom line for the push-button function.
- the 2 rows at the very bottom are the 16buttons of the bcr.

It is based on photocopies, glue, and several attempts before reaching that rather ugly but functional panel.... aahh, if it could be printed on solid metal, it would be so nice.
- it's photocopied on the thickest paper they had at the shop, so it's more solid
- adding white stripes above the knobs, allow to add colors, something i find very useful to seperate various sections of that panel.
- If i'd do another one, i wouldn"t start with behringer templates (except to have a size reference) and would use my own pen and ruler to make it all on white paper (i tried several paper colors, white is the best visually, anything else doesn't allow easy reading).

nb : using 2 presets for the same synth is not good : when you change the bcr preset, it will also change the synth parameters :sad:...
however, i complement this "preset 16" with controls found on my master keyboard, so it gives rather wide controls at once.

all this can be improved of course, once you know which controls you use most often...

i hope it helps in a way or another.

all the very best

mehdi

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: spacef on 2005-08-08 10:56 ]</font>
bgarlow

Post by bgarlow »

Hey Mehdi, nice template! I printed out your template today, and found it very useful. I opened up the original Behringer template PDF file in Adobe Illustrator, and I'm creating an overlay based on your design. I'll post it here when I'm done.

Henrik, I'll do the same with your Minimax layout. Your template works really well for that synth.

BTW, Mehdi, I'm not sure what you meant about it being bad to have 2 BCR2000 presets for a synth. I'm able to switch between your two presets (16 and 17) while I'm playing DXD and I have no problems. That's why I was thinking I would create 2 (or maybe even 3) presets for Solaris. I'm using the BCR2000 in standalone mode directly into my Scope card (no USB). Parameter feedback works, and I can switch between BCR presets without messing up the synth's parameters.
at0m

Post by at0m »

re: switching MIDI presets

I discovered quite some bugs when making MIDI presets for GS compatibility (controlled some synths from mc-505, but sold it after using it only as controller) and then I made Pc1600x presets for some devices too. For example the envelope parameters of Inferno/Minimax would jump to 0 when the MIDI preset is loaded - although on the GUI it looked as if nothing happened, the knobs remained indicating the position from before loading of the MIDI preset. Not that bad if you can wiggle the control and thus reset the value properly, but it made me stop developing multiple MIDI presets per device: switching MIDI assignments on the fly didn't work that fluently. Some of these abnormalities I've posted here on z some years ago in the tools forum. Don't let it stop you from trying, but you will find some weird stuff going on when you load MIDI preset lists in some devices.
more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio
spacef

Post by spacef »

atom : yes, it happens. in the same time, when you load your own midi preset in the device and have that behaviour, loading a sound preset should put the device controls back to normal (at least, in general).
it is also related to faders and knobs...

bgarlow : mm, i should check again... may be the bcr was in a mode that caused those param changes (or may be i dreamed...)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: spacef on 2005-08-09 09:30 ]</font>
Henrik

Post by Henrik »

> Do you have any hints for a newbie? Did
> you configure the BCR first, then map the
> controllers in Minimax and save the
> preset, or the other way around, using the
> Learn function?

I used the BCR2000 editor on the PC. Assigned the controllers from the Minimax manual. The configuration file was then send to the BCR2000 and I stored it.

Hint: Push-Encoder Group 2 has been configured for Pitch Aftertouch, Filter Aftertouch and Amp Aftertouch. I just didn't make the graphics for that yet.

I have done a pre-version for Pro-One but I don't feel it's working optimal yet.
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

Hi all, I do not know which step you were about the Pro-One Template but I did mine.

You can find it there:
http://www.planetz.com/forums/viewtopic ... &0&start=0
Any comment or improvement would be great.

Let's just keep on sharing such things.
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

And here you can find my adaptation of the BCR2000 template for Noah Minimax:

http://www.planetz.com/forums/viewtopic ... t=0#142616

Report me any problem or suugestion.