They should have done Noah like VariOS, or FW Powercore.

Discuss the Creamware Noah

Moderators: valis, garyb

Basic Pitch

Post by Basic Pitch »

What I am saying,

And I could be 100% wrong since I do not know enough about noah is, I feel they should have kept all the software/drivers PC side and just built a single rack hardware break out that uses USB2/FW.

Then all the software could be run from SFP and driven outboard from Noah. In essense this is how variOS works (roland), all the synths are VST programs that are driven by the hardware counterpart.

Something like this would have brought many people to the platform imo, ya see the problem with CW and the cards is imo a simple one, people want the synths and effects, but not always the I/Os. Having an SFP Noah that runs FW, would enable people to have the synths, effects and SFP enviorment, but have the options to use another companys I/Os, this would also make it easier on the PCI bandwidth issue, im my dream of dreams I would like to have a Noah SFP style like variOS, TC Powercore FW, (2x) UAD-1s, LynxTwo for I/O.

I would be a very happy camper :wink:

Discussion is welcome..
tfiala

Post by tfiala »

If that were the case, how would you perform "live"....one would still require a laptap, right?

Noah avoids the problems associated with having to lug a laptop computer to your live gig.

We just need CW to release everyone's favorite SFP programs in a Noah version, or write some conversion-type program!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tfiala on 2004-01-27 16:29 ]</font>
stefanh

Post by stefanh »

Hi, i think also that the concept of Noah is much better then VariOs. U can use it as a external Synth, and, if you want or need it as an audio interface, including asiodrivers and a midiport. But if i only want to use the Sounddevices and EFX i can use noah completly allone (a midikeyboard should be nice).
Also, afaik you always have to reboot VariOs if you change to Synth-Modus (303), same thing with Chameleon. So you can only make use of one device at time.
Four Slots are better!
Stefan
Eric Dahlberg

Post by Eric Dahlberg »

AFAIK, VariOS is operates in nearly the same manner as Noah, save for the one-synth-at-a-time thing that Stefan mentioned. It's been a flop, though, which is too bad because it's probably the best sounding VA that Roland's yet made.
Uncle E
JRR Shop
TEL: 949-553-8898
FAX: 949-263-1818
http://www.jrrshop.com
http://www.justroots.com
tfiala

Post by tfiala »

Speaking of the VariOS, I'd like to see a Jupiter 8 emulator for the Noah...
braincell

Post by braincell »

Who wants to see someone push buttons? The basic problem with the Noah is that the SFP does a lot more. I don't really think a stage is the place to be for electronic musicians.
tfiala

Post by tfiala »

I don't consider myself an "electronic musician", I think of myself as a musician who sometimes uses electronic tools to achieve the goals and sounds I want.

The Noah is a great tool for live performance when I want that vintage analog synth sound. The other members of our 4 piece rock-n-roll cover band are always impressed with the variety of sounds I can generate, and how close we can come to the particular sound of a recording.

So, I respectfully disagree.
King of Snake

Post by King of Snake »

On 2004-01-29 10:25, braincell wrote:
Who wants to see someone push buttons? The basic problem with the Noah is that the SFP does a lot more. I don't really think a stage is the place to be for electronic musicians.
what a load of bull. :roll:
You obviously have never seen the likes of Underworld, Chemical Brothers, Leftfield, Orbital, Faithless, etc etc perform live. And those are only the big, well-known bands.
Not to mention all the other live performing bands who you may not consider "electronic" per se but who definitely use a lot of synths on stage.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: King of Snake on 2004-01-29 17:46 ]</font>
hubird

Post by hubird »

indeed, I've seen lots of electronic 'bands' in a dance party environment, arranging and sound coloring live on stage :smile:
including myself with Ulanbator :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hubird on 2004-01-29 19:17 ]</font>
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

i agree with braincell, what right have electronic musicians to go out and play live - acoustic guitars is all anyone should be allowed, otherwise it's not real live music is it?
wayne

Post by wayne »

Lovely to see you poking a thread with that special stick of yours, braincell :lol:
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

well, to add to the commotion, I tend to agree with braincell in that electronic musicians or from my point of view, "heavy electronic gear" don't really sit well on stage. It's just so much easier to perform live with an analogue "real-life" instrument. So much less to fuss about. Not to say that electronic instruments aren't allowed to use analogue instruments. :smile:

Anyhow, I'm still quite curious as to who uses Noah and how. Noah is definitely geared towards a portable SFP environment that works well in live situations. But there are already tons of instruments that work well in live situations doing all that Noah does. And these hardware companies have been doing it for quite a long time. It's hard to imagine Noah taking the scene over with just one try. Roland's v-synth approach is just a start of the "hardware synth maker" strike back. The next Triton Extreme's even got tube amp built in. So, I wonder if Noah stand this change of trend in the hardware synth field?
braincell

Post by braincell »

Another point is the types of places that it is going to be used in don't normally have a good sound so I am not sure that the superior sound quality of the Noah would make a big difference. For me the best place to hear music is in my car.
Eric Dahlberg

Post by Eric Dahlberg »

I hope you like partying in your car! For the rest of us that like to go out, socialize, drink a bit, & get jazzed about the music we're listening to, we've got to take what we can get & hope that it's going to sound as good as possible. Anyway, there's a club here in Los Angeles that claims that have just put in a $4 million sound system, I bet that doesn't sound anywhere near as good as your car! :wink:

Look, if a DJ can rock 10,000 person crowds every single weekend then so can an electronic musician. People don't always want to be watching Linkin Park hopping up & down like a bunch of morons or Neil Young playing 10 minute one-note soloes (full props to Neil Young anyway!). For my money, John Medeski plays just fine even if there isn't a whole lot going on to watch.
Uncle E
JRR Shop
TEL: 949-553-8898
FAX: 949-263-1818
http://www.jrrshop.com
http://www.justroots.com
Basic Pitch

Post by Basic Pitch »

I would like to see "Hybrid" live personally, they are electronic musicians and damn good ones at it :wink:
braincell

Post by braincell »

hell, I would like to see an orchestra of 300 electronic musicians but that aint gonna happen.
garyb

Post by garyb »

On 2004-02-04 20:27, braincell wrote:
hell, I would like to see an orchestra of 300 electronic musicians but that aint gonna happen.
are you sure? or do you know that you wouldn't look? :wink: