xtc mode again...

Discuss Scope XTC mode.

Moderators: valis, garyb

the19thbear

Post by the19thbear »

hi its me again... maby i found the problem..
i havent got the keys to any of the plugins that appear in the sfp 3.1 installation.. could that be the reason, that it doesnt create a xtc folder in my vstplugin foldeR?(because there are really no plugins to install)
does the plugins in the xtc mode have to be dll plugins?, cause i cant se any freebies available for download, wich are dll files.. so i gues they will only work in "normal" spf mode?
i have the powersampler card.. with the normal plugins like peq, and compressor..

thanks AGAIN..
troels jørgensen
at0m

Post by at0m »

Hi,

During installation of SFP, there's the option of setting VST(i) folder. Since you see some /XTC/... dll's, I guess it installed fine. If not, reinstall SFP (backup presets!).

In SFP -> Settings -> Global: make sure XTC is enabled.

Close SFP and open ASIO host to enjoy XTC.

There's only a couple of 3rd party devices in XTC version, most are on http://www.planetz.com/forums/viewtopic ... 19&forum=1 . Feel free to add others to the list!

Cheers,

at0mic.
more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio
the19thbear

Post by the19thbear »

hi again.. i manually copied the dll´s, but still nothing works.. and i tried the links for free dll devices.. but nothing works, and i have activated the xtc mode..
and i have tried to reinstall everything 99 times!
the installer doenst even make an xtc folder! not anywhere on my harddrive! i have to create one ,myself, but nothing happens!#"¤

thanks... im getting desperat!
pranza

Re: xtc mode again...

Post by pranza »

hi! which version are you trying to push?

do you run setup as administrator? the v5.1 setup is notorious for being unable to access program folders when not run by administrator. also, do you select xtc components on install?
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

Pranza, just in case you didn’t notice, the previous posts are from 2003, so hopefully they figured their issue out by now :)
garyb

Post by garyb »

pranza wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:19 am
do you run setup as administrator? the v5.1 setup is notorious for being unable to access program folders when not run by administrator.
notorious?
that is Windows behavior. it is security features which require administrator mode.
pranza

Post by pranza »

well, there are ways for setup to run properly and install in program files without being right-clicked and chosen to be run as administrator (for a user having admin privileges)
but the s|c installer perhaps uses the old file copying approach which requires elevation or it doesn't work to full extent...
and the worst part is that it doesn't give any errors just the files don't end up in places required. sometimes they do, sometimes they don't - depends on windows version and if elevated privileges were used.
and that what many people miss because they're used to run setup without elevation although they were days (win Vista days) when it was pretty much a must at most occasions...
i also remember file attributes set on the files installed which prevented them working as they should.. there is some info on that here: viewtopic.php?p=140317&hilit=file+attri ... en#p140317

anyways, windows 11 23H2 - scope working, xtc working as i'm writing... used in production!
valis

Post by valis »

You're talking about two different things.

During installation the elevation is to write files into the correct location.

When running Scope it requires elevation because the way it accesses memory is not standard, which is to say it shares memory with the hardware (and the dsp files loaded onto the hardware) in order to handle midi and implement things like sample playback, delays (the buffer uses host memory), reverbs and more. There are also a few devices that will refuse to load until you disable Windows memory protection (in security settings) as they can't even load onto the dsps on your Xite or PCI cards until that is done.

In general, this is a security model issue for a time in computing when the industry is catering to most users web browsing (huge security hole) and running simple applications, with financial and personal data vulnerable. Most users are not dedicating a machine to a singular task like music production, and so as always we face potential tweaks or issues not catered for with an out of the box experience.