My brief experience with XTC mode

Discuss Scope XTC mode.

Moderators: valis, garyb

unaHm

My brief experience with XTC mode

Post by unaHm »

I'm one of those people who like to see things first hand, and 'learn the hard way' :)

Initially, using XTC mode appears as a suitable method to include DSP-powered plugins into a workflow, by inserting them into my software of choice as either VST or VSTi instances.

I didn't try too hard, so I didn't see the stability issues in the beginning. As I started to attempt to use plugins more intensively, stability started to decrease, and I was met with crashes, sometimes with a communication error with my Pulsar card.

Plus, the 'feel' of the system when it's running in this way doesn't seem quite right.

So, I'm going to try and re-think my approach, based around SFP mode. I think my problem is that I've been using software that encroaches into the Scope realm too much, and so I'm trying to force a 'one size fits all' situation.

Really, what I should focus on is splitting the projects into a few dedicated areas:

* Scope SFP to manage synths and effects
* A good sequencer to accurately send MIDI (music and control) data to Scope
* Something after that to 'render' the music at the end, when I choose to.

This is probably now venturing into the wrong thread, but I'd love to hear some suggestions as to recommended software choices, and approaches to SFP that are considered good practise for music creation.

Thanks very much!

Dan
garyb

Re: My brief experience with XTC mode

Post by garyb »

Dan, pm me.
unaHm

Post by unaHm »

Ok, I've tried to use SFP mode, but I keep finding myself really wanting to use XTC. I know that in the programming world it makes less sense, but it's this approach which really drew me to the Sonic Core platform.

My ideal is to use the DSPs on the cards for synthesis, and sound sources. Then, I'll use software-based plugins (unless there's a better or more suitable hardware one) for effects and mastering. Much of my music production comes from experimentation, so the ability to drop a synth in (or take it out) without having to worry about MIDI and audio routing is very important.

Has XTC mode improved on more recent versions of Scope? All I have are licenses for 4 (and 4.5), and so I have no knowledge of 5, 5.1 and 6, whenever that is going to be released.

I'm probably beating a dead horse on this topic, and so if the Sonic Core cards aren't really intended for this purpose, what are my alternatives? I don't intend that as a slur against this brand - the hardware is impressive...very impressive! I'm just trying to find what works for me :)

Thanks everyone for your conversations, recommendations and solutions so far!
dante

Post by dante »

unaHm wrote:I'm probably beating a dead horse on this topic, and so if the Sonic Core cards aren't really intended for this purpose, what are my alternatives?
Wait for Scope 6 and ParseQ
garyb

Post by garyb »

it's no harder to assign an external synth than to drop in a vst, really. i like using vstis and often do, however.

using software plugins over dsp or hardware for mastering and mixing/fx? backwards... :D
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

I think part of the issue (and the solution) is multi-core processors. I use Ableton Live, and see issues if I have Ableton enabled to use multicores while using XTC. (When enabled, Ableton will distribute tracks across cores, and that doesn't seem to work too well for SCOPE for whatever reason). When mutlicore is disabled in Live, everything works much better. Of course, you get 1/2 or 1/4 of what your processing power is, but using SCOPE instead of VSTs, it's not that much of a problem.
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

unaHm wrote:Then, I'll use software-based plugins (unless there's a better or more suitable hardware one) for effects and mastering.
Why not use the mastering solutions and effects in Scope too? Much better than a lot of native plug-ins.

unaHm wrote:Much of my music production comes from experimentation, so the ability to drop a synth in (or take it out) without having to worry about MIDI and audio routing is very important.
If you value experimentation then Scope mode is far more interesting than native, and more flexible than XTC mode. Load a ton of effects, then try plugging them in random order. Very easy to do, easier than in Cubase anyway. Or build your own effects in Modular.

There again, I'm quite visual so I like to see things like you would if you were plugging a bunch of hardware effects.
unaHm

Post by unaHm »

I agree with a lot of the responses here. Sometimes I become single-minded, and so synths became that focus. I'd definitely use Scope effect plugins, as long as I don't run out of DSP processing power!

It would be wrong of me to ask when an on-going project is going to be released, particularly Scope 6, which may be a cornerstone version (for me at least) along with ParsEQ! In this case, what can I do today with what I have? I know that's a really open-ended question, so I'll try to pin it down with that I'd like to achieve the best stability I can (i.e. less crashes, or connections between cards freaking out).

I wish I had the patience for SFP mode, and setting everything up! I'm sure it's not that difficult to most people...it's just to me at the moment that it feels as if I'm doing double the work.