Unable to load synths as VST instruments

Discuss Scope XTC mode.

Moderators: valis, garyb

unaHm

Unable to load synths as VST instruments

Post by unaHm »

I've been getting XTC mode going again - firstly, thanks to Garyb for his direction!

I don't have any synths with my current registration configuration, so I've been trying to use some of the synths that are freely available on this forum.

Whilst using Reaper though (after using the "dll trick"), trying to load something like the OSS 107, loading it in causes Reaper to close, without errors.

I tried the same in Renoise, received the following error message:

The effect plugins that come with Scope seem to load in fine. I renamed the dev files to mdl, but it didn't make any difference.

I hope someone has some experience that may be able to help! Thanks in advance!
garyb

Re: Unable to load synths as VST instruments

Post by garyb »

not everything works in XTC mode. perhaps this is a case of that. i have no idea what "BassSynthi" is though.
unaHm

Post by unaHm »

I was wondering/fearing that. Is there are definitive list of working synths Gary?

BassSynthi is oen of Roy Thinnes' plugins: http://www.hitfoundry.com/issue_17/bassynth.htm - I have the same problem with Atze and DxSynth, and others...it's definitely not a "focused" problem!
garyb

Post by garyb »

yeah, that probably doesn't work.

Scope mode is better anyway... :P :lol:
ShogunSpy

Post by ShogunSpy »

check this out http://youtu.be/qK89jxQCnJg As Gary said looks like XTC mode does not work 100%
I think the video was made by Tau It shows how easy it is to use Scope in Ableton
unaHm

Post by unaHm »

Thanks for your responses! The XITE is far beyond my budget, but every time I see a video on it I'm impressed with its concept.

That aside, I suppose I need to get used to including SFP into my workflow. I tend to be a person who tries to contain my 'thoughts' in one program, because my attention deficiency sometimes gets the better of me, and I don't get anything done :lol:

Before I do, I'm going to try 'upgrading' to Scope 4.5. I remember using it last year with some success, although I'm not sure it was with anything other than the STS samplers (2000P). Seeing as I can't get those to work either at the moment has spurned me into doing a little more poking around!

Hopefully I'll be able to afford Scope 6 when it arrives!
unaHm

Post by unaHm »

Good news (this seems to be a recurring theme :roll: )!

A random thought entered my head, to do with the structure of my VSTPlugins folder. In every folder the Scope installer added there's an xtc.ini file, and "genius" here had put the VSTSynth plugins into the root of said folder...where there's no ini file!

So, I copied one over, re-started Reaper, and tried the Colossus plugin. Sure enough, it loaded in without any problems.

I hope this small piece of information is of use to people in the future! Thanks everyone who contributed to this thread, I made it there in the end!
ShogunSpy

Post by ShogunSpy »

:)
garyb

Post by garyb »

by the way, v4.5 is the same as v4.