XTC clips audio, internal processing, asio drivers

Discuss Scope XTC mode.

Moderators: valis, garyb

suvak

XTC clips audio, internal processing, asio drivers

Post by suvak »

Hi there!

I've searched the Forum but found nothing...
XTC plugins can not input nor output signals over 0 dB. The plugin allways truncates(clips) the signal. Is it normal or changeable somehow? Normal VST plugins can handle this issue.
For example: I have a normal VST plugin a simple Gainer. I feed in a signal what sometimes goes over 0dB. With the gainer I decrease the volume while no more clips occures. At the end I save the audio, and there is no clipping. With a XTC effect it does not work. The signal would be clipped.
Is there a workaround? I use sfp4.0. I've tried asio2 64 16, asio2 64 32, and asio2 64 flt too. I've changed the settings in cubase from 16bit to 24bit. Nothing helped. In cubase the project setting is to record 16bit audio, but that must not act in internal processing.

Thanks,

Zajos

www.suvakzajos.com
maky325

Re: XTC clips audio, internal processing, asio drivers

Post by maky325 »

suvak wrote:Hi there!

I've searched the Forum but found nothing...
XTC plugins can not input nor output signals over 0 dB. The plugin allways truncates(clips) the signal. Is it normal or changeable somehow? Normal VST plugins can handle this issue.
For example: I have a normal VST plugin a simple Gainer. I feed in a signal what sometimes goes over 0dB. With the gainer I decrease the volume while no more clips occures. At the end I save the audio, and there is no clipping. With a XTC effect it does not work. The signal would be clipped.
Is there a workaround? I use sfp4.0. I've tried asio2 64 16, asio2 64 32, and asio2 64 flt too. I've changed the settings in cubase from 16bit to 24bit. Nothing helped. In cubase the project setting is to record 16bit audio, but that must not act in internal processing.

Thanks,

Zajos

http://www.suvakzajos.com
There is no workaround. XTC or SFP. I am not technically wise skilled to talk about this but you simply can not translate VST way of mixing to scope. VST have more headroom for adjusting things. Scope clip actually is not anything bad. Simple gain staging and you are done. You need to take care of levels when mixing anyway or other.

But in every other case it will clip. Where in VST if you have one channel clipping like a HELL, simply routing it to another and lowering volume will prevent it from clipping, in scope you can do that(tested). Just take care of your levels.

btw can anyone recommend some good and free level monitor for scope(apart from mixer channel)? Maybe i am missing something, maybe it is already there..
voidar

Re: XTC clips audio, internal processing, asio drivers

Post by voidar »

Yes, gain-staging in and out of Scope matters. Scope calculates with 32-bit integer which means there is no scaling like with floating point math.

It really depends on the plug-in. Some plug-ins like LeviL DeviL and Vinco can take some boosted levels in the VST domain to have them operate differently. You should experiment with what levels you put into any processor, native or DSP, it might yield nicer results with lower levels i.e.

Just remember that with Scope plugins, always have a healthy output level so not to truncate to many bits.