XTC and devices with multiple outputs

Discuss Scope XTC mode.

Moderators: valis, garyb

spacef

XTC and devices with multiple outputs

Post by spacef »

Hi all,
do you know a device with multiple outputs, that loads in XTC and that create the additional busses for those outputs ?
If yes, please let me know,

For those interested , I am running XTC tests on my devs, and most of them work or need small works to be really xtc complying (I haven't tested the spacef filters yet, as i haven't found a way to route a signal from cubase or else to input 2 of the filters.... but i will probably find it exists)

But I haven't found any multiple output (or even multiple inputs....)
Possible to have multiple in/outs in xtc devices ?
spacef

Re: XTC and devices with multiple outputs

Post by spacef »

yes sidechaining doesn't seem to be very problematic...
I was thinking of a dev like - for example - LBH VIII which is a synth that cumulates 14 stereo outputs....
it loads fine in xtc but then, i can see only stereo outs...
I guess i must configure the xtc project first...

My question was probably more about Cubase creating the necessary i/os for xtc devices like it would do with Vstis...
but i guess this is not the way it works... ?
Bifop

Post by Bifop »

The modular does it. I have four outputs enabled in Morpheus.
spacef

Post by spacef »

I guess this means the outputs must have certain names too. The Modular has 4 mono outputs (labelled as would be insert effects). -(or 8 in a version of Modular)

I am looking for multiple single stereo channels in C4, like 14 or more...

STS doesn't work ?
Bifop

Post by Bifop »

No, STS multiouts don't work here. Actually, only the STS2000 works within XTC mode.
spacef

Post by spacef »

Thanks, I will try various things ....
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

Hi Mehdi,

the19thbear has reported a few times that my Octamix 8 channel mixer works well in XTC mode. I don't know if he's using the direct outs, aux sends or monitor out, but he would probably have reported if they weren't working. 19thbear?
spacef

Post by spacef »

Hi Marc,

I have no idea...
I could tell that LBH VIII works fine in XTC and that even multitimbrality is possible, but I won't (because it is a commercial device etc etc, and without the individual outputs, it is much less fun).

It could be something about the dll chosen, as I didn't manage to have multiple outputs on STS 2000P ... only one stereo channel shows up....

May be it is the dll or something in cset.ini or something else.... will need further tries...
I will tell you if I found how to do it "scientifically"... but if you find out first, be my guest...

NB: very nice mixer you have here....
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

Off the top of my head, the only thing I can think of is that Octamix was originally made inside the default 'empty synth' sdk building block which doesn't have the number of channels var parameter on the parent like the 'empty effect' modules.
spacef

Post by spacef »

that's how I do them too ;-)

just in case for those who find it useful.....
http://forums.planetz.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=21703

Anyway, I have to do some music now, and my scope install is a mess after all this moving files around all day !! ;-)
Bifop

Post by Bifop »

Hi Mehdi, I think you've got it wrong about 19th Bear and the Octamix mixer's experience. He may have it succefully working on xtc (I never did) but in the xtcproject.pro which means "hardwired" in the pre host environnement. It is not vst wrapped. The STM mixers work as well (and previous Shroomz valve's mixers).

No mixer or multi ins (greater than 2) devices work in vst dll wrapping afaik.
Now that I think of it, there could be a way actually ! I'll give it a try asap and report my findings.
the19thbear

Post by the19thbear »

yeah,.. i never used the mixer wrapped.. i put it into my xtcproject.pro and the it loads up when i use xtc mode.
spacef

Post by spacef »

mmm, i think i got it right on the contrary :)

Anyway, that means you have to configure it with various stuff like midi CC etc to open it ?
I just tried the mixer is in the xtcproject.pro and loads in XTC when cubase loads, but after that... no surface no nothing, unless maybe i assign CCs in xtcproject.pro to open/close the device at least??? Same with any other non-xtc-wrapped devices too ??? (i didn't try yet )...
spacef

Post by spacef »

and CCs don't work (they work in the xtcproject.pro used in standard mode, but not in xtc, it receives no midi....
weird
Bifop

Post by Bifop »

Did you let the device opened when saving the XTCproject.pro ? That is mandatory if you want to see the surface upon project loading.
spacef

Post by spacef »

In fact i had to save the panel open in SDK,
because when doing it in xtcproject.pro (saving the project with device(s) open, it does not open the device panel in XTC mode (eventhough the panel has all that is needed to recall the open/closed state of its panel so i don't know).

Also the Ccs were assigned in SDK: they work in xtcproject.pro in normal scope mode but not in XTC/cubase.
May be some midi configuration in cubase or something like that...
Bifop

Post by Bifop »

Hi Medhi,
I have to correct my previous statement about the STS samplers. The STS 2000 actually works with multiple outs (10 in total). So at least a stock plugin that is multi outputs enabled in vst mode.

The Octamix appears as a 2ins/12outs plugin under Nuendo's plugin manager.
I've tried different surround routings in order to get signal in any input other than 1&2 and it never works. Must be the 2.3 vst protocol limitations.
I've tried the Octamix as a vst instruments as well and it shows 10 mono outs and stereo ones.

I thought of trying to wrap an xtc plugin with a surround plugin shell to acces more ins but I can't find any creamware surround vst plugin shell. Maybe scope 5.0 and the surround plugins included will make it possible ?

Mixers loaded within the XTCproject.pro retain their midi config here. I can call surfaces with midi CC's.

Hope it helps
spacef

Post by spacef »

thanks,
I will try again this week end...
MD69

Post by MD69 »

Hi Mehdi,

Would have helped but my system is down for another month ....

Anyway, multi out vst synths are working in xtc (most Zarg devices are multi outs). You should remember that vst wrapper dll are VST 2.0 compatible and doesn't have evolved. Another point is that mono output are processed as stereo outs which mean twice the load at the PCI/driver level, so 14 mono outs is the same as 14 stereo outs. Your customers will have to take care of PCI load when they use this device.

cheers
spacef

Post by spacef »

yes, it puts my gigabyte mobo to hard times (blue screen because opening too many pci channels at once)...
I'll need to get an asus to check if it really works (and that's simply by changing the names of the pads and putting the device in the synth folder).
I have several LBH versions with various names of outputs, the regular one is ok, the other give BSOD eventhough they are just dummy devices (ie, it is almost empty inside...).
So i guess it opens the pci channels for multi i/os , but my gigabyte dies first...
i'll try with just a few i/os next time, 14 channels is just too much for my current setup....

xtc will be good if you can use it in cunjunction with normal standard mode, ie, a few stereo effects in the sequencer, and the big devs in the scope projects, where they are meant to be, for free and easy routing.