XTC newbie issue

Discuss Scope XTC mode.

Moderators: valis, garyb

grappa

XTC newbie issue

Post by grappa »

Hi all,
Please bear with me on this as I am new to XTC mode in Scope and despite reading the forum posts and docs/XTC workarounds I can't seem to get this to work.
I am running a Scope Pro card (with Classic IO) along with a Yamaha DS2416 (DSP Mixer) and am using Tracktion 2 as my DAW. I would like to use the Scope card for VST FX and VSTi's and the DS2416 as my ASIO outs and mixer.
I've undertaken a fresh Scope install with XTC, ticked the XTC box in settings, scanned for plug-ins and now have a set of Scope plugs listed.
I've opened the XTCapp project and can see ASIO2 input/output connected together with merge module in the middle.
Whenever I select an XTC plug in Tracktion 2 I get a prompt for the first time indicating that the 'Plug isn't corectly installed' however the plug loads and I can open and change parameters etc - the plug does not however be in the signal path (if I load a comp I get no input signal on the meter etc)
I have read some information about disabling I/O - would this be the issue?
Interestingly if I load a Scope Synth (Blue for example) I don't even get any indication that Midi data is being received?
Really appreciate any help you can give.
Regards,
Simon
grappa

Re: XTC newbie issue

Post by grappa »

Stardust,

I really appreciate your reply.
Make sure you route also your asio source to your card output towards the yamaha like spdif or analog.
Same for Analog source towards ASIO dest.
It appears I must be confusing how this works from an audio perspective (please accept my apologies for my ignorance in this area) - currently Tracktion uses the ASIO driver for the Yamaha DS2416 and hence all my audio appears at the card inputs for processing/mixing - does this need to be replaced with the Scope ASIO and if so how do I then route to the Yamaha ASIO?

Regards,

Simon
grappa

Post by grappa »

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I do have ADAT's on my Scope and my Yamaha so I could physically connect these and route this way?

Problem with that is I would kill my connection to my A16U as I currently use ADAT to connect to this as I don't have a Z-Link on the backplane. I do have a Home card with Z-Link but have insufficient PCI slots - arghh :)

Bearing this in mind if I have to physically route then I could run Scope in standard mode and just buss the stuff out of the Yam to Scope and process accordingly.

Too many options :)

Regards,

Simon
MD69

Post by MD69 »

Hi,

Your host can work with only one ASIO so if you want to use the DS, you have to remove the IOplate on the scope and there is also a strap to connect on the scope connector (check XTC patch guide). You'll have to forget the A16 (or use it with the AX16 lightpipes extension for DS2416).

Anyway, the DS ASIO driver is rather slow (512 samples if I remember correctly) which will add long latency to your XTC devices (6 time the latency) so....

cheers

Michel
grappa

Post by grappa »

Michel,

Thanks for the reply - bit academic now but what impact does removing the I/O plate and jumpering the pins make to the functionality i.e. how is it able to work with the existing ASIO driver?

Having considered this I'm going to build another machine for the DS and lightpipe the Scope outputs into the DS using this as the ASIO device in Tracktion.

I presume I can still use XTC mode in the DAW and configure the XTC project to route out of the ADAT outs?

Regards,

Simon
MD69

Post by MD69 »

Hi Simon,

Michel,

Thanks for the reply - bit academic now but what impact does removing the I/O plate and jumpering the pins make to the functionality i.e. how is it able to work with the existing ASIO driver?

The scope will works similar to the UAD1. No IO and you can select the DS ASIO driver in Traktion instead of the Scope one. If you don't remove the IO, the scope ASIO is mandatory for traktion.

Having considered this I'm going to build another machine for the DS and lightpipe the Scope outputs into the DS using this as the ASIO device in Tracktion.

If the DS is associated with Traktion, the scope could be used in SFP mode on the same PC, routing scope audio in the DS through ADAT

I presume I can still use XTC mode in the DAW and configure the XTC project to route out of the ADAT outs?

If you use XTC mode, there is no need to use scope ADAT because your XTC devices will be viewed as VSTi. If you have the Yamaha AX16 AT interface, you can connect the A16 directly to the DS through ADAT lightpipe,

Cheers

Michel
grappa

Post by grappa »

I really appreciate the time you have both spent helping me with this.

I am going to have a go at running Scope in XTC and using the DS ASIO driver in Tracktion as the workflow is just better for me.

I presume that the VST/i Scope plugs honour delay compensation in Tracktion (?) so the latency is not such an issue for me (I tend to use my SW1000 for roughing stuff out and then replace with samples/synths etc once I am happy)

I have had a look at the help file you kindly produced Michel - do I just jumper the syncplate port (and leave the I/O card in place) - I wouldn't want to break the most expensive PCI card I've ever board (although I do have my eye on a more expensive device when they finally appear :lol: )

Regards,

Simon
MD69

Post by MD69 »

Hi Simon

I am going to have a go at running Scope in XTC and using the DS ASIO driver in Tracktion as the workflow is just better for me.

I presume that the VST/i Scope plugs honour delay compensation in Tracktion (?) so the latency is not such an issue for me (I tend to use my SW1000 for roughing stuff out and then replace with samples/synths etc once I am happy)

I have had a look at the help file you kindly produced Michel - do I just jumper the syncplate port (and leave the I/O card in place) - I wouldn't want to break the most expensive PCI card I've ever board (although I do have my eye on a more expensive device when they finally appear )

Regards,

Simon

In Cubase Yes, so I guess it will be the same in traktion as it is a host feature.

I have had a look at the help file you kindly produced Michel - do I just jumper the syncplate port (and leave the I/O card in place) - I wouldn't want to break the most expensive PCI card I've ever board (although I do have my eye on a more expensive device when they finally appear :lol: )

It seems so ... but never tested myself. This have been done by one fellow pulsarian one and a half year ago with protools (he posted on this thread. You can check his results).

By the way, how do you automate the DS with traktion? DspCtrl ?

Cheers

Michel
grappa

Post by grappa »

Success - I now have an operational Scope in XTC running with my DS2416 and it works a treat :)

Thanks for all your posts in helping me get this up and running.
regarding ASIO latency it is important to use the multi effects in XTC to have only one transition back and forth via ASIO when using several scope effects in series.
Thanks Stardust - I discovered this last night - when attempting to run multiple series plugs I noticed I appeard to be getting two signals though. I tried a simple gate and then comp as series FX and could hear the gated output and then the comp output delayed slightly after? I must be doing something wrong here and need to investigate further.

I've used the DLL trick and I've got all my synths running fine albeit with significant latency - shouldn't be an issue though for me using the SW1000 for roughing out. Just for my understanding I presume that this is compounded by the fact that when using XTC VTSi/FX the signal first travels down the Scope ASIO and back before hitting the DS ASIO? I've set my XTC latency to 3ms to try and reduce this as much as possible however it seems much higher than this if I compare to a regular VSTi performance?

Early days for me but so far looking good.
By the way, how do you automate the DS with traktion? DspCtrl ?
I've been using DspCtrl since its release and in honesty the Yam stuff would have disappeard long before this if it hadn't been for Ian's hard (and lowly paid) work producing this app. V3 has some great automation capability with midi control and works a treat - shame Yam never paid for this before they produced the card because thay killed it before it got a chance

Regards,

Simon