obvious question

Discuss Scope XTC mode.

Moderators: valis, garyb

phobic

obvious question

Post by phobic »

Hi

sorry for this really basic question, but i wanted to ask if all you xtc users have additional soundcards that you use when running xtc mode?

my understanding is that the scope software can't run alongside xtc and so if i want the effects/synth to work in nuendo, i'll need another audio interface.

is this correct?

thanks

phobic
Pulsar2, Powersampler, Luna2496, Scope 4.5, Intel 2.6G QuadCore, 4G RAM, Nuendo 4.
Inferman

Post by Inferman »

The I/Os of a normal scope card are available also in XTC mode (and configurable either in the XTC settings or in the xtcpro project).
I have some problem with it or I think I'm doing somethig wrong. So will You be so kind to advise me what to do?

What exactly is XTC mode? Is it switch on when I exit "Scope Platform"? When I do it I have no sound at all.

My question is how can I use Scope plugins as VST but also use ASIO\DirectSound driver of my Pulsar card? As I understand I need to leave Scope Platform software to activate XTC-mode but I have no sound in this case - i cant use ASIO, DirectSound and so on.

Sorry for stupid questions but I have no such experience with Scope card...

Thanx/
Inferman

Post by Inferman »

Stardust, thank You very much!

I think now my problems will be solved.

Can I ask another thing? This the second Big problem for me using Scope card.

I cant render my song correctly. For example: I works in Normal mode and create ASIO Source and ASIO Dest, ASIO Source connect with Mixer ins, ASIO Dest - with Mixer outs. Then I open sequencer, write some melody using effects on Scope mixer channels and trying to render(mixdown) my work. The result is terrible - too many cracks, noises, I hear my samples actually, but also I hear horrible distortions.

I tried to write in one program (with ASIO) and record it in another (with DirectSound), result is better but cracks and unexpected delays in record .... :-( I think I'm doing something wrong again.

Thanx again, I'm appreciate much your help.
Inferman

Post by Inferman »

May I ask one more question?!

What we loose in XTC mode? Can we use plugins effects and plugins synth as usual? And I have some problem with installing new plugins. There are some .OXE file but when I open it it says "access denied to open .OXE file". What does it mean?
Inferman

Post by Inferman »

I start Windows, it starts Scope project in normal mode automatically, press enter on any of .oxe file and it writes "Access denied" .... :-( Why so?
voidar

Post by voidar »

There are success stories on this forum where members have successfully combined m-powered Pro Tools with XTC-mode. Because of this it should work with other cards too. RME i.e.
Inferman

Post by Inferman »

Thanx, I think I manage it now.

But .. You know - my life is questions ) I tried to find close-to-my-problem topic on PlanetZ but I didnt find it so I wonder will You be so kind to explain another thing (it actually doesnt connect with XTC mode)?

For example I start Nuendo\Cubase project with 10 stereo channels. I create ASIO source and ASIO Dest with 20 channels in my Scope Platform and routing "two ins ASIO source -> Cubase stereo channel -> two ins ASIO dest"

In XTC I use Scope plugins as VST plugins so I can check sound levels (Dry+Wet) with Waves PAZ Analyser or any other Inspectors\analysers. But when I work in normal mode my sample from Cubase channel goes to Scope mixer (STM 1632) and there I use effects (chorus, flangers, and so on). The question is: if I use Analyser in cubase I cant check the Scope effects I see my Dry sample only. How can I monitor wet+dry signal from each channel in Normal Mode with my favorite Analysers (or any analyser)?

I hope You understood what I mean. Thank You.
Me$$iah

Post by Me$$iah »

I guess such a thing is possible, but its all about editing the xtc.pro in order to get it. I assume you'll have to run all the effected tracks from the mixer back into cubaes to check them with the analyzer
This proba;by means more ASIO ins and outs
Inferman

Post by Inferman »

Me$$iah wrote:I guess such a thing is possible, but its all about editing the xtc.pro in order to get it. I assume you'll have to run all the effected tracks from the mixer back into cubaes to check them with the analyzer
This proba;by means more ASIO ins and outs
Me$$iah, thanx. Hm.. about back to cubase:

a) how can I route dry+wet signals back to cubase?

b) can I use ASIO Dest channels to analyse dry+wet chennels? I mean I can create ASIO Source with 20 channels, route it to mixer and do not create ASIO dest - just route common Mix Left and Mix Right in my STM 1632 to Wave Dest L+R and Analog Dest L+R for monitoring with KRK. I mean I dont need ASIO Dest with 20 channels to work with my project. Maybe ASIO Dest is the way to get Dry+Wet signals but where can I get it :-) ?

Is there any Analyser directly for Scope (Creamware plugin) to use it in Master Channel of STM 1632?
Tau

Post by Tau »

Hi inferman.

You don't have to have the same number of ASIO sources and destinations. If you right click on the ASIO source module in the routing window and select its properties, you will be able to define how many sources (ins) and destinations (outs) you want for the ASIO,

In XTC mode the ASIO sources appear as ASIO outputs on the sequencer, while ASIO destinations appear as the ASIO inputs. So, in order to be able to analyse the sound after being processed by Scope, you need to open an ASIO destination module, and connect the sound you want to analyse to its inputs. Then on Cubase, set up an audio track to that input, mute it (to avoid feedback) and set it to monitor the input. Put the analyser on this track and it should work.

In fact, the best thing would be to set up a bus just for analyzing, so you can route any track to it. Or you can open a switch module in Scope's routing window (if you leave it open when closing the XTCproject in Scope it will stay visible in XTC mode), and use it to select the bus you want to send back for analysis.

I think all of this is true, and I hope it answers your question.

Welcome to Scope! :)

T

PS - there is an analyser pack from Wolf, and his SpEQtrum device will provide a spectral representation of the sound, as well as an extremely versatile EQ that sounds really good to me. The spectrum analisis can be made on the input or on the output, so you can check the difference the EQ is making, and you can set different FFT values and switch it off to save DSP. It does in fact use a lot of DSP, and I guess that's why we never had many analyser devices in scope (although there was something on SC's website when they first announced SCP5 ummmm..., seems to be forgotten by now). I think Scope's DSP is best used for audio, anyway.

Cheers!
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

Tau, just a quick note - Wolf's spectrum analyser isn't FFT based afaik. Great device though. :)

[/hijack]
Tau

Post by Tau »

... oops :)

I meant you can switch from higher to lower resolution. It's a 48 band analyser, and you get a sort of VU-meter for each band, in high res mode.

thanks Shroomz!
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

Presumably, yes. Wolf mentioned a while back on the forum that it isn't FFT based.
wolf

Post by wolf »

<Shroomz> wrote:Presumably, yes. Wolf mentioned a while back on the forum that it isn't FFT based.
correct, no transformation into time domain, pure frequency.
Btw, you can ceck this by feeding noise into the analyzer in question -> fft shows a different curve than a spectrum based analyzer .

Thanks for the kind promo, Tau :-)