Simultaneous SFP/XTC mode with no monitoring latency is here

Discuss Scope XTC mode.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Bifop

Simultaneous SFP/XTC mode with no monitoring latency is here

Post by Bifop »

Sort of already.
While experimenting with a XTCproject.pro I've just realized we can already have an hybrid mode using the known STM 4896 "xtcized" procedure (dev renamed to mdl), connecting the monitor and headphone amp outputs to STD and CTRL outputs, using an spdif external reverb on aux 1 & 2 (just to spare dsp and have physical instant access to rev).
You can use effects in Nuendo/Cubase with XTC plugs
You can sidechain beetween xtc plugs within the host software
You can sidechain dynamic plugs in the STM mixer from SC enabled plugs used in Nuendo/Cubase (not the other way round though) !
You can sum and or mix in STM 4896 if needed.
You gain a front, reliable & midified monitor section and mixer beetween Nuendo/Cubase and the amp/speakers (thanks god)
You have no latency on monitoring, with nice dsp effects, rev, delays, amp sim etc while recording dry....

Of course direct monitoring needs to be ticked off and no monitoring should occure inside the host anymore (the little orange speaker needs to be turned off on the recording track).

I connect most of the I/O directly to the mixer and use the directout feature to map to Nuendo/Cubase. This way everything external is always hearable without latency.

PS : External effects can't use the plugin that comes with Scope for that matter because it doesn't retain the I/O settings in xtc mode. You have to connect directly to the I/O in the XTCproject.pro.
Don't forget to save the XTCproject.pro with the mixer opened.

I know it is partly old news, but guys, try this very same setup and you'll see the light.
I really hope SonicCore won't ditch the XTC mode in the upcoming SFP5.
If we could just get the project routing and full modular within this mode, It'd be perfect.
the19thbear

Post by the19thbear »

screenshots of cubase and your sfp project please? :D
I LOVE xtc mode..
FrancisHarmany

Post by FrancisHarmany »

I never use it, but this sounds interesting......

screenshots would be nice!
Bifop

Post by Bifop »

Okay I'll do a screenshot.
I just discovered that you can connect the STM mixer directly to any STC devices loaded in Nuendo/Cubase as well !
You do this from the lower stm4896 channel setting panel. Here you right click on device and select connect to, you'll see your Minimax, Vincos whatever you loaded there and it's sound will be routed straight to the mixer !!! That's getting crazy.

Of course, there'll be a delay beetween the direct sound and the xtc sound coming from Nuendo/Cubase (your latency setting).

The SFP/XTC frontier has never been that thin !
the19thbear

Post by the19thbear »

its gerat because in xtc mode you save dsp's.. I work MUCH faster in XTC.. so any cool new things in xtc are allways welcome!thanks lot
Bifop

Post by Bifop »

setup part 1 :
In the asio section you'll see 1 & 2 going to mixer 1&2 that's the main monitoring. The two other pairs are for external effects in Nuendo straight to the Zlink outputs (with two pairs going the other way). The asio send return not connected are for exporting stems, but I've cleared the connection for easy readability.

setup part 2 the External Aux setting :
1 & 2 go to the external spdif effect unit . 3 & 4 go to a pinguin audio meter located on another comp via a second spdif connection.

the insert panel section allowing you to route audio from xtc hosted plugs to STM4896 mixer (noted VST plug). Above the dynamic section is sidechained to a vinco inside Nuendo... On the mixer you see channel 8 with minimax coming back from Nuendo via direct connection.

the19thbear

Post by the19thbear »

so you go direct out of the mixer into asio?? so what you put on the channels will affect the sound and be recorded?
I allways like to record clean.. and the add xtc fx
I only use the mixer to monitor my input. Nothing else. The mixers out go straight to my headphones amp. not to asio..
i dont really get this?
you use the mixer to monitor and apply fx before they are recorded, so what good will sidechaining in the mixer do you??
Bifop

Post by Bifop »

My bad, you're right, the direct outs send the signal with inserted effects (but not aux of course). The correct routing is exactly like in the picture excepted you do a Y connection type (from input modules to mixer AND to Asio Inputs) and switch out the directouts.
If you want to record "What you hear" including inserts, connect the mix output of the STM4896 to a pair of asio inputs.

Just tried it and it works perfect.
Thanks for the feedback .
Bifop

Post by Bifop »

... and I don't record with fxes neither. But I like to have all sort of treatment for the performer (rev, delay on voices ; wah, amp or distortion on guitar ; comp on bass, etc...) in the cans/monitor. This can influence heavily the performing to have the sound reacting to the playing.
Sometimes I like to record the effect chain as well as a reference. The reference take can sometimes become the final take. We used to do like that before the daws. Earlier arrangement decisions.
The sidechaining from Nuendo to the STM could be useful for people who like to get stems out of the daw and mix/sum them in Scope.
the19thbear

Post by the19thbear »

right! mixing in xtc mode with the scope mixer..cool!
well i really hope v5 will include xtc mode! and even a more update version!
MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL OF YOU!
the true spirit of christmas is not "stress", but "giving"! :D
Bifop

Post by Bifop »

Yeah, Merry Christmas to you too.

Here is a simplified corrected setup with Y connection instead of the direct outs :