Scope in xtc mode + Protools LE 7.3 WORKS !!!!

Discuss Scope XTC mode.

Moderators: valis, garyb

voidar

Re: Scope in xtc mode + Protools LE 7.3 WORKS !!!!

Post by voidar »

Had the same problem and got the same reply.

I noticed this when I had HT enabled. Whenever I disabled it, the system would just freeze. Could you confirm this?

Anyway, I was under the impression that people got this working some time?

Unless they fix this in the future they only viable solution in the future would be to use the DSP as realtime hardware via the digital I/O.

Those verbs are really excellent.
Clapaucius

Post by Clapaucius »

Eee.... Whait is it HT? But anyway, I have noticed that sometimes the system freezed. Pity!
Bifop

Post by Bifop »

H.T. is hyper-threading

"Hyper-threading is a technology developed by Intel Corporation. It is used in certain Pentium 4 processors and all Intel Xeon processors. Hyper-threading technology, commonly referred to as "HT Technology," enables the processor to execute two threads, or sets of instructions, at the same time. Since hyper-threading allows two streams to be executed in parallel, it is almost like having two separate processors working together.

While hyper-threading can improve processing performance, software must support multiple processors to take advantage of the technology. Fortunately, recent versions of both Windows and Linux support multiple processors and therefore benefit from hyper-threading. For example, a video playing in Windows Media Player should not be slowed down by a Web page loading in Internet Explorer. Hyper-threading allows the two programs to be processed as separate threads at the same time. However, individual programs can only take advantage of Intel's HT Technology if they have been programmed to support multiple processors."

I don't use XTC mode at the moment (I happily use SFP mode on two machines for the time being), so I don't know how my current I7 setup would react with it. But it's a pity learning that pure XTC mode is still not truly supported. I reckon it probably never will.

On a side note, I remember having had some occasional lockups on my XP machine that have now disapeared since I went sfp with it. XTC is an unfinished project
voidar

Post by voidar »

I just remembered:

It is possible to load multiple XTC instances without stuttering in a parallel (!) fashion, like with busses. Just like you would with synths.

This means you will be able to load a couple of reverb sends, which is good news as while there are some great EQ and compressors in the VST world, replacing the Sonic Timeworks time-based effects (the new S|C "verbs") is pretty hard to do.

I usually load an ambience, plate and chorus-delay instance. No problem, even at 48K (I'm on PCI).

You won't be able to send a synth patch to one of the verbs though, as that will cause a serial connection. Better to render it first.
maky325

Post by maky325 »

voidar wrote:I just remembered:

It is possible to load multiple XTC instances without stuttering in a parallel (!) fashion, like with busses. Just like you would with synths.

This means you will be able to load a couple of reverb sends, which is good news as while there are some great EQ and compressors in the VST world, replacing the Sonic Timeworks time-based effects (the new S|C "verbs") is pretty hard to do.

I usually load an ambience, plate and chorus-delay instance. No problem, even at 48K (I'm on PCI).

You won't be able to send a synth patch to one of the verbs though, as that will cause a serial connection. Better to render it first.
I don't understand what is "multiple XTC instances without stuttering in a parallel"? Could you explain?

And why you could not send a synth patch to one ot XTC loaded verbs? Maybe i am missing something here but once when you load something on your mixer aux you can send anything to this. Including XTC loaded synths. I can do it from any VST host. I am testing XTC mode so i am trying to understand every possible situation. That is why i ask these questions.
voidar

Post by voidar »

Why? Because it doesn't work.

It seems impossible to have one XTC stream happen before another. And I think I know why

In REAPER I can load a lot of XTC stuff as aux'es. Enabling "anticipative FX" it even runs really smooth. However if I send one of these into one of the other all hell breaks loose. I also get the same problem if I put a Voxengo latency delay on one of the aux'es; even a small sample shift will cause a break down.

This makes me conclude that all the processing has to be done on the same clock cycle/real time.

Why this is not so using the Scope driver I do not know. Maybe it handles the buffering differently.
chriskorff

Post by chriskorff »

Has anyone got XTC mode working in PT9 yet?

Cheers!

Chris
the19thbear

Post by the19thbear »

yeah.... im asking the same question:
does pro tools 9 native work with xtc mode?

thanks!
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

In Ableton Live, I noticed if I set the buffer size for VST - VST communication to something like 32 samples, then XTC plugins made some nasty noise and the stability of the system was really compromised. But if I set that buffer size to be the same as the ULLI setting, then everything played along well.