xtc as FX for external mixing desk + direct play button dead

Discuss Scope XTC mode.

Moderators: valis, garyb

petrol vendor

xtc as FX for external mixing desk + direct play button dead

Post by petrol vendor »

Hi together.
I mix analog, connecting to scope with 18 analog chanells.
I switched to xtc recently, everything is ok, only that i can´t direct play my synths (the button is dead, no midi connected...)
Ok, that´s not the main problem.
I always liked to use scope as an fx-box for external gear.
Direct monitoring works in SX, but when i load a plugin it won´t sound during monitoring.
Is that normal?
Is there a workaround?
PS -i did search, because i´m sure to be not the first one asking this, but had no sucess.
cheers, jens
http://www.myspace.com/petrolvendor
DIY Synth and a doublebass
http://www.loro-loco.de
acoustic pop
petrol vendor

Post by petrol vendor »

thanks
I have my latency set to 23mils, so it does make a difference...
I have to check that module. It´s called direct play?

Direct monitoring of inputs already does work, but i´m not hearing the plugins loadet, only the input. Maybe i have to change something in cubase for that...
the19thbear

ok

Post by the19thbear »

i think you just edit the xtc project file, and connect the directplayer module outs to whatever out you are listening to, and then ,
save your project and open cubase again.
when you press the direcet play button on your scope synth, it should work..
petrol vendor

Post by petrol vendor »

Yes, i already had that, and it´s working.
For playing the synths in direct mode, i discovered that i need midi drivers in the project file...
Apparently it´s only possible to play the synth from the hardware midi source of polsar?

Couse i have everything connected to another midi interface right now. So i guess i need to change that, or use some midi splitter... well

For the FX thing, it seems like the only way is to use direct monitoring via software, so the cubase mixer is in the monitoring way. That way i can apply any fx to an external signal, but i also have the latency, No good.

I also tryed this, but it doesn´t seem to work:
In my xtcproject i connected masterverb to one of the adat sources, it´s output to an adat dest.
As long as i have the project open it works as expected: If i send a signal to that input, i get the reverb from the assigned adat out.
But when i close scope and start cubase that connection is gone...
at least i don´t hear anything.
That´s a pity, because i really like the benefits of xtc, i don´t use any of the powerful routing possibilitys, but i would like to have two of my 18 in/outs as an reverb for my external synths.
can´t have both i guess...
the19thbear

ok

Post by the19thbear »

no need for monitor latency!
you can use the scope mixers in xtc mode! with NO LATENCY! ( using scope plugins..)

http://www.planetz.com/forums/viewtopic ... =xtc+mixer

or go here:
http://www.digitalaudiosoft.com/products.html

and download the xtc mixer... you have to do the dll/dev renaming trick in order for the scope mixers to work... put the mixer you want in your xtc project and connect it as yyou would with a ormal mixer, save WHILE THE MIXER WINDOW IS OPEN, and start cubase/logic etc...

I use XTC mode. I monitor with the xtc mixer from DAS, with scope plugins.. and mix in cubase with the scope/VST plugins....( I dont like creamware reverbs..) but I LOVE this workflow!!
petrol vendor

Post by petrol vendor »

this sounds wonderful. Didn´t get it to work though. I tried the 2448 and the one you linked above.
I save while the window is open, close sfp and start cubase.
I don´t see the mixer anywhere...
does the mdl need to be at any special place?
the19thbear

ok

Post by the19thbear »

do a search for dev to dll converter or dev to dll renaming trick.. or something like that.. there are many posts about this.
you have to put a vst dll version of your mixer in your vst plugins folder..
It can be kind of a pain to set up sometimes, but when it works, it is amazing!
you can do the same thing with scope plugins. rename them and reconfigure a scope file, and then use the scope plugin in your favorite vst sequencer ( cubase etc..)

I LOVE IT
petrol vendor

Post by petrol vendor »

and i would, but i just don´t get it...
I just uninstalled cubase/scope and did a fresh install, cause i had some strange error messages.

Ok, fresh start.
I download the das mixer
I rename it to .mdl
Place it in the devices/mixer folder
Load it in my xtcproject and make connections
Close and save with the mixer window open
Start cubase

No i should see the mixer come up again?
I don´t...
Any steps i´m missing?
the19thbear

ok

Post by the19thbear »

ok... first of all:
do you scope plugins work in xtc mode??
= can you load for instance the creamware compressor on a track in cubase ( assuming you are using cubase..)?
if you can, then xtc mode works!

if it works, you have to convert the xtc mixer dev file into a vst dll file:
make a copy of the xtc mixer.dev or whatever it is called and put it into your various fodlers..( c:\scope\effects\, and c:\scope\xtc effects..) i dont remember where the xtc files have to be exactly, so just put it in alot of your effects\mono and stereo folders as well:) sorry..
locate your vst plugins folder ( i.e. c:\cubase\vst plugins\..
locate where your xtc plugins are, they should be in c:\cubase\ vst plugins\ xtc\
make a copy of any xtc plugin that works, so that it's called " copy of compressor .dll" or whatever one of your xtc plugins are called..
this should stay in your vst plugins folder, no need to move it.
now rename "copy of compressor.dll" to "xtc mixer.dll" ( or whatever your mixer is called.. this has to be the EXACT same name, you might want to copy paste the name of the xtc mixer to do this..)
now you have a copy of your xtc mixer, converted to the vst format.
open scope, go to scope/App/XtcApp/ folder and open the xtcproject.
integrate the xtc mixer in your xtc project, add or remove to needs,save it. close. and it should work.

so: yo now have a vst version of your xtc mixer called xtc mixer.dll, this is actually not the files that cubase loads, its just a "mirror" of the file that it loads form your scope folder, i.e. c:\scope\effects\xtc mixer.dll

there might be an error message when you first open cubase, just click ok...

if it doesnt work, or if you find this to complicated, do a search for "xtc mode" , " dev to dll renaming", "xtc mode" , "gonzo and xtc", or something... the trick i just showed you is what is used to convert normal scope plugins to work in xtc mode.. exact same procedure!, so look around and you will find many posts about this..
happy twaking and hunting!
( it takes a while to get everytthing going, but once its going, it is perfect!
voidar

Post by voidar »

Direct monitoring means you will be monitoring from the ASIO destination.

Normally the chain will be:

AD (input) -> ASIO -> DA (monitor)

Whit direct monitoring you it will be:

AD (input) -> DA (output)

This means you won't be able to hear any processing on your input signal because we are eliminating the ASIO-stage, where VST-effects are loaded, to improve latency.

Thus you can't have latency free XTC-effects.

This applies to MIDI too. You can't have "latency free" MIDI from a host-application, only directly from the physical hardware input.
That is why Direct Play on XTC synths hook up to the physical input. You don't need latency free operation while on playback anyway, as the host should compensate for any latency. Everything should be played in the correct time.